Pro Bowler Mitch Trubisky

WindyCity

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Trubisky is replacing Jared Goff.

Commence PFF, Michael Lombardi, and other media melt down.

No.  

Unfortunately MT never gave enough to silence his doubters in 2018. 

Thanks to way Bears handled him in 2017 and him not getting starting job in college until his last year he was developmentally behind.  

He should have been judged as a rookie. Way I judge him.  

Labeling him a bust is really unfair and false.  

He can still be very good.  At this point I think it’s fair to say he doesn’t look special.    He can’t accurately whip a ball 40 yards off platform like we see some guys do.  

He still has enough ability to be great, if he does it with his body and his mind.  

That takes time, intelligence, good coaching  and lots of work. 

I'm embarassed to say I will be watching the Pro Bowl this year

Really don't think of Mitch as a Pro Bowl caliber QB yet, but excited to see what he looks like in a looser setting.  I recall that last year he looked good when plays broke down and he had to backyard-it a bit.

If nothing else, it's a little more experience for someone who still needs lots of it before he gets great. 

I think this will be great experience for him. To spend the week with Drew Brees and Russell Wilson will be nothing but valuable for him.

I actually think Russell Wilson is a good physical/style comp for Trubisky so time watching him is going to be really valuable.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

1/3 each fans, coaches, and players.

It took him all 3 to get 1st alternate.  He was 4th in fan voting in the nfc.

Being completely fair, do we know he was first alternate? I don’t remember ever seeing that released. Matt Ryan was the obvious fill-in statistically but he may also have declined. Either way though, with 2/3 of the vote being from those IN the league it says quite a bit IMO that he’s in even as a first up replacement. Says that the respect for him on the field is real amongst his peers. 

I think Mitch is more respected around the league than in the media.

1. He was 9th in fan voting and then ended up 5th after the player and coach voting.

2. He got multiple votes for "Most Under Rated QB" in the Athletic's pole of NFL players for their QB article

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

1/3 each fans, coaches, and players.

It took him all 3 to get 1st alternate.  He was 4th in fan voting in the nfc.

Where did you see the results? I saw 9th in fan voting, but that might have been the entire NFL.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

No.  

Unfortunately MT never gave enough to silence his doubters in 2018. 

Thanks to way Bears handled him in 2017 and him not getting starting job in college until his last year he was developmentally behind.  

He should have been judged as a rookie. Way I judge him.  

Labeling him a bust is really unfair and false.  

He can still be very good.  At this point I think it’s fair to say he doesn’t look special.    He can’t accurately whip a ball 40 yards off platform like we see some guys do.  

He still has enough ability to be great, if he does it with his body and his mind.  

That takes time, intelligence, good coaching  and lots of work. 

The only thing that will silence his doubters is time, as nothing can convince people with irrational beliefs that they are wrong. They simply have to get tired of hearing they are.

As far as "special" goes, with Mitch...I'm on record as saying it's clear his floor is likely "good". We'll see.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think Mitch is more respected around the league than in the media.

That's clearly the case. And league folks don't feel they have to uphold their own bizarre narratives to the public, nor maintain they're always correct. 

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Where did you see the results? I saw 9th in fan voting, but that might have been the entire NFL.

The week before the rosters were announced the NFL released info showing he was 4th in the NFC.  So that would work out to 8th or 9th overall.  Makes sense.

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The only thing that will silence his doubters is time, as nothing can convince people with irrational beliefs that they are wrong. They simply have to get tired of hearing they are.

As far as "special" goes, with Mitch...I'm on record as saying it's clear his floor is likely "good". We'll see.

That's clearly the case. And league folks don't feel they have to uphold their own bizarre narratives to the public, nor maintain they're always correct. 

Also keep in mind he was more popular of a pick by the league than the media as well.  Remember all the scouts who were very high on him, one in particular said that if he started more games he would have gone #1 overall.  Narratives mean something in the media, and nothing in the league where it's all about what you do on the field.

Do I think Trubisky deserves to be in the Pro Bowl? No, not really. Although, it is not as ridiculous as some make it out to be.

At the same time the National narrative and even a couple of people locally about Mitch is so over the top idiotic, that to me this Pro Bowl is a slight natural correction in the discussion.

I am happy because of how idiotic Lombardi, Barnwell, PFF, and Cowherd went with their Trubisky takes when the truth was somewhere far more in the middle. For a national narrative that consistently moved the goal posts on the Mitch discussion it is some sweet revenge. It started with he is "No Deshaun Watson" then when he started playing as well as Watson it moved to "Well he isn't Mahomes". 

I am not going to spike the ball and declare Mitch a true Pro Bowl QB, but I am going to sit back and enjoy this a little.

Archived