Is Gurley still hurt?

bomont

1 minute ago, Destructo Spin said:

If I'm looking at Gurley in the context of the game he was playing in when he performed poorly, I have to look at the other team doing something to stop him. The fact they also held Anderson to 2.6 YPC suggests that they at least had something to do with Gurley's bad game.

Dude.  You're focusing on yards.  What does any of that have to do with the drops he had?  The ball going through his hands and the Saints intercepting it putting them in the red zone.

When did CJ Anderson drop passes and turn the ball over?

Just now, showtime said:

Dude.  You're focusing on yards.  What does any of that have to do with the drops he had?  The ball going through his hands and the Saints intercepting it putting them in the red zone.

OK, fine then. I'm sure you're right. There's something very very very wrong with Gurley. Enjoy

Just now, Destructo Spin said:

OK, fine then. I'm sure you're right. There's something very very very wrong with Gurley. Enjoy

To me, seemed like his head just wasn't in the game.  He missed time towards the end of the regular season, but he was sensational against the Cowboys the week prior and showed no signs of injury.  He showed no signs of injury yesterday, either.  For some reason he was distracted and didn't perform well, so they brought someone in the game who wasn't breaking their back with misplays.

It's that simple.

He played bad. Our run blocking wasn't good either. 

He seemed rattled. Uncharacteristic drops. Bad block on an Eli Apple blitz that luckily wasn't a sack. Hopefully he gets it together in the SB. I will say as a Rams fan when the run blocking isn't there, I prefer for CJ to be in the game. Gurley has a tendency to lose faith in his blockers and tries to bounce runs that result in negative plays. 

I do love that he was humble through the whole process and he has a chance to put this game to rest with a great showing in 2 weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

That much is obvious.  He wouldn't have been limited to 4 carries otherwise.

Maybe he has some personal issue going on.  I wouldn't feel too happy about that if I'm the Rams going into the SB with one of my allegedly best players rattled already.

23 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Is CJ Anderson better/more reliable at pass pro than Todd?  Maybe that's your answer.

Not even close. Gurley is arguably the best in the business at that. But he missed a block in that game he normally doesn't. His issues seemed more mental than physical.

It’s guess work but I’m going to say Gurley has a hidden injury (duh).    But I’ll go one step further and say it’s a meniscus injury.

Reasoning as follows:

1.  He got hurt in the KC game and never was the same after.  

2.   The mechanism of injury looked like it could be ankle - but also one where a knee injury could occur.  

3.   Gurley could have a grade 2 MCL injury - but it would be pure insanity to play him like this and moreover to play him without a knee brace.   With a meniscus injury a brace isn’t required. 

4.   A meniscus injury would explain why he looks ok on some runs but then not in some other games.   Especially if there’s a “floater” that locks the knee up.   And why he has to sit.  Yet seem fine later.   Joe Mixon played through it in game then got the operation later that week. 

5.  Normally a meniscus tear can be fixed with a minor shaving off of the torn area that gets the player back in 2-3 weeks.   You see it with college and HS players trying to make it back for big games.   Mixon got this done too.   The reason why a meniscus tear doesn’t get this quick repair in Gurley’s case - the long term implications.  This almost certainly leads to arthritis of the joint down the line.  

The full repair of a meniscus tear doesn’t have the same long term price (early arthritis of the joint being a given as with the minor repair / shaving) - but it takes 10+ weeks to recover from. For a 25 year old signed to a long term deal at big guaranteed $$ that risk of early arthritis with the minor repair  may not be a risk the Rams wanted to take.   

Now maybe there is another explanation - but few other injuries would allow Gurley to play on and off and without a brace.   And the long term deal at big $ means LAR has to think long term there.   So I’d go there.   Any other explanation other than injury just doesn’t make sense.  

Guess we’ll find out shortly after the SB then the real story will come out.  

29 minutes ago, showtime said:

Did you watch the game yesterday?  Gurley was absolutely terrible.  It's really not about who the better player is - that's obvious Todd Gurley.  For some reason, Gurley's head was not in the game yesterday.  He's one of the best receiving options out of the backfield of any RB in the league and he dropped two easy passes, the Saints intercepted one of them.  He just was terrible and got benched.

An injury can 100% explain all that, the effects of injury don't just manifest in running slower. Some guys are not going to be themselves, period, if they're hurt He/they tried to play him, but it was evident he was not himself in any facet of the game. I am going to say it's far more likely this is because he's dealing with an injury, not because he suddenly forgot how to play football or the moment was too big for him to catch the football.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Not even close. Gurley is arguably the best in the business at that. But he missed a block in that game he normally doesn't. His issues seemed more mental than physical.

I'll have to take your word for Todd being better in pass-pro than CJ. As far as best in the business, I'd argue there's one back better at it..but this isn't the thread for that and I don't care to make this a 20-pager..

Something's up with only 4 carries for Todd in this last game.

I think it’s a combo of being still injured or scared of being injured again, and pressure of the dome. It’s not exactly a good environment if you’re looking for easy plays and you’re also worried about getting hurt you could shut down quick like he did. McVay done seent that and shut him down. 

He’s gonna need to find himself. He’s got 12 days.

35 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

An injury can 100% explain all that, the effects of injury don't just manifest in running slower. Some guys are not going to be themselves, period, if they're hurt He/they tried to play him, but it was evident he was not himself in any facet of the game. I am going to say it's far more likely this is because he's dealing with an injury, not because he suddenly forgot how to play football or the moment was too big for him to catch the football.

His injury is a lower body injury.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with catching the football.  It's not like we're talking about some outrageous diving one handed catch.  The guy is standing up and had the ball go through his hands twice. 

The bottom line is, his mistakes on the football field were backbreaking, so McVay did what he had to do and took him out the game.  McVay showed me a lot by doing that and I praise him for it.

Its absurd to suggest Gurley was benched for his play, mentality  checked out,  not the better option UNLESS he is dealing with a injury, period.

This wouldn't be the first time a Team has intentionally  dressed a player or pretended a player was healthy so the other team has to waste time preparing accordingly. 

Hell TD was damn near legally blind from a migraine  but used as a decoy in their SB win. Happens all the time. Alshon Jeffrey did it all of last year and in the SB with a torn rotator cuff, "no one" outside of the building knew about. For a competitive  advantage. If the opposing team knows let's be real, it will be targetted.

Had Gurley not sat week 16 and 17 do to injury then maybe maybe there would be something to this but its clear there was something. Something McVay and the world don't want getting out allowing teams to prepare, if indeed it is reaggrivated? Not the Saints, Not the Patriots. Makes perfect sense.

He's clearly injured, not the 2nd best option!

22 hours ago, showtime said:

It's slang for really bad.  So when he says he was sorry, he is actually saying that he was awful.

I actually answered your question, so if it was sarcasm then just disregard lol

Thanks for clearing it up!

I actually was puzzled by it. English is not my 1st language, and it's one of those instances where the implicit meaning was lost in translation.

Archived