Top 5 Most Clutch QBs

rocky_rams

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

Lead the league in 4th Quarter Comebacks and Game Winning Drives in 2017-18 and had an additional 2 and 3 this season... which was collectively tied with Rodgers, Rivers, and one behind WIlson and Goff. But facts be damned!

In games that don't matter.

On 23/01/2019 at 5:43 PM, Elky said:

Ben is just the most egregious of them all. Not only is he not nearly as clutch, he actually sorta sucks all-around.

I'd agree that Ben is not a Top 5 QB anymore. For me probably not even Top 8. However I don't think theres any argument that he's not clutch. Sometimes it's self inflicted woes but some of the comebacks have been fantastic. Down 16? against the Jags this season as an example.

51 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

I'd agree that Ben is not a Top 5 QB anymore. For me probably not even Top 8. However I don't think theres any argument that he's not clutch. Sometimes it's self inflicted woes but some of the comebacks have been fantastic. Down 16? against the Jags this season as an example.

Why are they down 16 against a team as bad as the Jags at that point in the season?

Ben is not even top 15 per PFF.

How is Tom Brady not the unanimous choice for #1 most clutch QB All time?  He has only lead his team to more Super Bowls than any QB in history, has more Super bowl wins than any QB in history and his longevity is insane.  The guy keeps performing at a very high level and does so without great WRs all the time, running games or dominating defenses outside of the first two Super Bowls.  Sure this season his run game is great and his OL has been awesome but that has not always been the case obviously but come on the guy is 41 years old, about time he has a dominating run game.

Sure he has more opportunities than many but hard to argue the production and consistency in the most pressure packed situations over and over again.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

How is Tom Brady not the unanimous choice for #1 most clutch QB All time?  He has only lead his team to more Super Bowls than any QB in history, has more Super bowl wins than any QB in history and his longevity is insane.  The guy keeps performing at a very high level and does so without great WRs all the time, running games or dominating defenses outside of the first two Super Bowls.  Sure this season his run game is great and his OL has been awesome but that has not always been the case obviously but come on the guy is 41 years old, about time he has a dominating run game.

Sure he has more opportunities than many but hard to argue the production and consistency in the most pressure packed situations over and over again.

He's a demonstrably lesser quarterback in the playoffs compared to the regular season. As I illustrated earlier, in the semifinal of the playoffs, he has been mediocre at best. 

Joe Montana, for example, is a demonstrably better quarterback in the playoffs than he is in the regular season. For that alone, Montana is more clutch than Brady is. That's literally what clutch means. 

Montana maintained a 146 passer rating for an entire playoff run throwing 11 TDs and 0 INTs. He dropped 38 points, threw for 3 touchdowns, no interceptions with a 127 passer rating against the NUMBER 1 SCORING DEFENSE. 

Brady, conversely, the best he did was a 109 passer rating with 5 TDs. The only time he played the 31 #1 scoring defense, they weren't really the best defense they only allowed fewer points because they defended so many fewer possessions than the Bills did that year. And in that performance, he dropped 28 points, had 4 TDs and 2 INTs, with an 101 passer rating. Obviously still impressive, but nothing comopared to Montana's aforementioned performance. 

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Read the original post. NOT including Tom Brady

Since Ryan has the most 4th quarter comebacks in the nfl since he has been in the league im gonna go with him.   He's sitting 11th right now with 27 since 2008.  Eli is tied with him at 27 since 04 and Rivers is at 26 since 04.   The 3 people still playing ahead of those 3 are Brady, Brees, and Big Ben   They are at 35, 34, and 31. 

Now i will say their are 4 guys who actually have a higher comeback winning % a year than all of those listed though as of right now they are

Derek Carr at 4 a year - 16 total in 4 years
Matt Stafford at 2.88 a year - 26 total in 9 years
Andy Dalton at 2.88 a year - 20 total in 7 years
Russel Wilson at 2.83 a year 17 total in 6 years
Ryan would be 2.7 a year 27 total in 10 years

Of that list the 2 guys i would trust with the game on the line the most is Russel Wilson and Matt Ryan.  I would trust brady and brees a ton as well.  So my main 5 guys would be in order based on how often it happens and experience added in for longevity doing it.

Brady - Won't let me choose him as i think he is the most clutch of all time to i gotta choose Ryan then.
Ryan
Brees
Wilson
Ben

On 1/24/2019 at 9:25 PM, BlaqOptic said:

All games matter... Quite the dumb comment...

Something we actually agree on every game matters to almost all players none of them like to lose and they are playing for bigger paychecks and bonuses even if their out of the running for a playoff spot.   It's the exact reason the Falcons are not picking in the top 5 picks and instead picking 14th this year.  We won 3 straight unneeded games at the end of the year to finish 7-9 after we were out of the playoffs.  Hopefully it can carry over to next year as well but who knows lol.

Archived