Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Chris Conley from KC has been mentioned as a possible FA pickup.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chrisconley/2552652/profile

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Chris-Conley-Bears-free-agency-fit-2019-129020493/

The young wideout opened the 2017 season as a starter opposite of Tyreek Hill but saw action in just five games that season. He suffered an Achilles injury that October and missed the rest of the season. He ended the year with just 11 receptions for 175 yards. He returned this past season to appear in all 16 games with 13 starts. He ended the season with 32 catches for 334 yards and scored five touchdowns.

Conley would be able to bring another element of speed to Chicago's offense. During the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine, he ran an impressive 4.35-second 40-yard dash. He also proved to be among the strongest wideouts in that draft by doing 18 reps on the bench press. The wide receiver position is not of the utmost need for the Bears, yet a team should never turn away from an opportunity to get better.

Knox believes Conley could sign a one-year deal and that could be a possibility if the market is not very strong for his services.  Adding Conley to the mix would only help to push the other options at the position and give quarterback Mitch Trubisky yet another target in the passing game. 

JJ Nelson is another guy I could see filling the role of explosive deep threat on the cheap. Guessing he’s getting a minimal deal after getting phased out and just 7 catches last year but he averaged 18.6 ypc from 2015-2017, which is just absurd. 

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

JJ Nelson is another guy I could see filling the role of explosive deep threat on the cheap. Guessing he’s getting a minimal deal after getting phased out and just 7 catches last year but he averaged 18.6 ypc from 2015-2017, which is just absurd. 

I loved him as a returner/deep threat predraft and drafted him in the real time draft. I'd be really happy with him here.

Hopefully Nagy would use him right, I still think he misused Gabriel to a significant degree 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I loved him as a returner/deep threat predraft and drafted him in the real time draft. I'd be really happy with him here.

Hopefully Nagy would use him right, I still think he misused Gabriel to a significant degree 

I think in year 1 Nagy to some extent used what he had. He had seen the personnel on film but basically none of it in person. FA and incumbents were all new to him. I think he was genuine about thinking Kevin White would have a role even if it was a specific one and not broad, and when he couldn’t he had to adjust. That combined with the Robinson and Shaheen injuries and the lack of a passing element with his primary runner forced his hand with modifying what Gabriel did at least to some extent.

Conley and Nelson would both add an element we were largely lacking last year without breaking the bank. We are pretty well set in our top 3 WR and 4 of our top 5 so this is likely gonna be a 2nd or 3rd wave of FA or late in the draft position to address. The key to offensive improvement beyond Mitch’s growth is still RB though IMO. Making RB a consistent dual threat is a must. Everything else runs off of that.  

What attract me about Conley, other than Nagy's familiarity with him and Conley's with Nagy's offense, is his size (6'3"/205lbs) and his speed (4.35/40).

Here's a kid who could be at least some of what we wanted Kevin White to become.  He can run, he can catch, he can run a route tree, and he can block and we can get him for a pretty low price where he and Wims can compete for a #4 WR spot backing ARob primarily but also getting some decent amount of snaps.

Gabriel has the speed but not the size of a guy like Conley and Miller is our slot type guy.  I like Wims a lot but bringing in another WR much like him wouldn't hurt.  I'd prefer not to spend any draft picks on a WR right now if we can add some depth inexpensively in FA.

I don't see WR as being a big need and don't feel the Bears need to spend heavily on that position. Even if they bring in a player like Conley, he'll likely fall behind Robinson, Burton, Miller, Gabriel, and Cohen in targets. I think Wims showed some potential last year and he's easily good enough to be the Bears' 6th option.

The concern is whether Conley still has that speed after an Achilles injury.  That's not a great area to try and recover from.

I'd also add that this is probably the best WR draft in a number of years.... Not really clear cut #1s, but there's a good 20 or so guys who are going to be good-great #2s or decent #3s at worst.

Frankly for an offensive system that wants to spread the ball around, I'm all aboard the train that DRAFTS WRs while the value is amazing, then punts Robinson to the curb after 2019 for cap space

Andy Isabella and McLaurin BOTH are how I'd go, if I was GM.  That's speed, deep threat, route running and volume from isabella.... And Speed, Size, and ST value from McLaurin.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

What attract me about Conley, other than Nagy's familiarity with him and Conley's with Nagy's offense, is his size (6'3"/205lbs) and his speed (4.35/40).

Here's a kid who could be at least some of what we wanted Kevin White to become.  He can run, he can catch, he can run a route tree, and he can block and we can get him for a pretty low price where he and Wims can compete for a #4 WR spot backing ARob primarily but also getting some decent amount of snaps.

Gabriel has the speed but not the size of a guy like Conley and Miller is our slot type guy.  I like Wims a lot but bringing in another WR much like him wouldn't hurt.  I'd prefer not to spend any draft picks on a WR right now if we can add some depth inexpensively in FA.

I don’t see Miller as a “slot type guy” at all. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Doesn't mean that's his "type". And @AZBearsFan is right, it probably isn't. He'll most likely start opposite Robinson all of next year, unless something weird happens. 

I think he will be in the slot. If you listen to Mike Furrey he talked a lot about learning the offense being a process for him. They won’t move him and make him learn and entire new position.

My guess is the WR group is identical in the top 3. The targets will shift around a little and Gabriel won’t be near 90, but positon wise the same.

Miller is so physical that the slot really does suit him.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think he will be in the slot. If you listen to Mike Furrey he talked a lot about learning the offense being a process for him. They won’t move him and make him learn and entire new position.

Why not? He's stupid, or something? 

Archived