Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

Lookin' at the news column tells me the second wave is now well under way.

Just a rough guess but I'd say we have around $12-$13 mil in cap and all of that won't be needed to extend Whitehair.

What's going through Pace's head?  Damn well could be in on Houston.  Makes sense if he's affordable.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Just a rough guess but I'd say we have around $12-$13 mil in cap and all of that won't be needed to extend Whitehair.

What's going through Pace's head?  Damn well could be in on Houston.  Makes sense if he's affordable.

I think that figure is close but a couple of FA's have yet to be picked up. Spotrac has us at 18M and overthecap at 17.6M. 

5 hours ago, malagabears said:

I think that figure is close but a couple of FA's have yet to be picked up. Spotrac has us at 18M and overthecap at 17.6M. 

With 17.6m we could sign gostkowski, Jason Myers, Dan Bailey, Chandler Catanzaro, and Mike Nugent and run the coolest kicker committee in the history of the nfl 

9 hours ago, soulman said:

It's not just Whitehair, in 2020 Floyd's 5th year option kicks in for big bucks (they might not keep him) and you have to make a hard decision on Trevathan who is one of your best players.  If he isn't willing to play on a 1 year deal he may be gone.   

2021 is Robinson, Cohen, Jackson, Shaheen, Long, Prince, Tolliver and MT's 5th year option.

2021 could be a whole new team and a probably a much worse team.  You aren't going to be able to pay everyone.

Cohen and/or Jackson are going to be franchised or command big deals.  MT will either get extended or franchised or something went badly wrong in his development.    Likely those 3 become big parts of your cap.  

Robinson, Long and Prince will probably be cap casualties.   

2019 or 2020 should be peak Bears unless Pace continues to find diamonds in rough in draft.  After that going to be some hard choices to be made.

Enjoy the ride next two years.  By that time hope is MT has developed to point he can help carry a team with less talent.

7 hours ago, malagabears said:

Yeah, Spotrac hasn't factored in Ha Ha,  O'Donnell, or Nick Williams.  So I accounted for them and cut $18 mil by $5 mil.

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It's not just Whitehair, in 2020 Floyd's 5th year option kicks in for big bucks (they might not keep him) and you have to make a hard decision on Trevathan who is one of your best players.  If he isn't willing to play on a 1 year deal he may be gone.   

2021 is Robinson, Cohen, Jackson, Shaheen, Long, Prince, Tolliver and MT's 5th year option.

2021 could be a whole new team and a probably a much worse team.  You aren't going to be able to pay everyone.

Cohen and/or Jackson are going to be franchised or command big deals.  MT will either get extended or franchised or something went badly wrong in his development.    Likely those 3 become big parts of your cap.  

2019 or 2020 should be peak Bears unless Pace continues to find diamonds in rough in draft.  After that going to be some hard choices to be made.

Enjoy the ride next two years.  By that time hope is MT has developed to point he can help carry a team with less talent.

I believe Pace will have extended Floyd to lower his 2020 cap long before the option amount kicks in.  Don't see him releasing him.

Trevathan could be extended on a team friendly deal for another couple of years.  Personally I think he'd prefer to stay if he can.

If Ha Ha has a Pro Bowl level year I could see us letting Amukamara go in order to re-sign C-Dix.

Even now the base cap is increasing $10-$12 mil a year.  By 2021 we'll be working under a renegotiated CBA with what I believe could be a higher share for the players than the 47% minimum negotiated in 2011.  That should also boost the 2021 cap considerably.

We'll lose a few but we'll replace them via FA and the draft like always.

15 minutes ago, soulman said:

I believe Pace will have extended Floyd to lower his 2020 cap long before the option amount kicks in.  Don't see him releasing him.

Trevathan could be extended on a team friendly deal for another couple of years.  Personally I think he'd prefer to stay if he can.

If Ha Ha has a Pro Bowl level year I could see us letting Amukamara go in order to re-sign C-Dix.

Even now the base cap is increasing $10-$12 mil a year.  By 2021 we'll be working under a renegotiated CBA with what I believe could be a higher share for the players than the 47% minimum negotiated in 2011.  That should also boost the 2021 cap considerably.

We'll lose a few but we'll replace them via FA and the draft like always.

I have been looking at the CAP increases and wouldn't rule out it spiking to 200M next year. If the player's share increases to 50% that certainly makes a good hike for 2021 entirely possible. 

1 minute ago, malagabears said:

I have been looking at the CAP increases and wouldn't rule out it spiking to 200M next year. If the player's share increases to 50% that certainly makes a good hike for 2021 entirely possible. 

I'm already estimating $199-$200 mil for 2020.  That's a 6% increase which is about what it's been recently.

The current CBA has a base revenue sharing of 47% minimum with a max of 48.5%.  I'm thinking it'll end up a couple of percentage points higher at maybe 49%-51% minimum and maximum once they come to an agreement.  That and the normal increase could boost the 2021 cap to around $220-$225 mil.

That's more than enough to swallow up a new deal for Mitch and the increasing cost of other high dollar deals.

Once the cap hits of any deal hit their highest years the increases from the previous year are minor in comparison and if it's not justifiable based on performance the player is restructured or released.  So at least some of those huge cap hit will be reduced or disappear entirely as rookie deals begin to supplant them.

But you know this too.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah the Bears not having Tolliver, Shaheen, and the elderly (Long and Amukamara) is a terrifying thoughtO.o

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Back to back Super Bowls will be just fine with me, thank you very much. :D

But...seriously dude, what the hell is up with that post? Are you in a bad mood, or something? That post is all...

Yeah, changes will happen, but why expect the worst? Also...who expects Cohen fetches a monster contract? I mean, he'll have to be nearly twice as good next year to command mega-coin? 

Archived