Worst commentators in NFL history?

y*so*blu

Seems like a lot of young viewers now would have hated Pat Summerall. That's a shame. He was as dry as it gets, but I liked him. I'm definitely in the minority, but I like more reserved commentary a lot of the time. You watch a lot of old games, announcers did get excited, but now some guys overdo it a tad.

Adam Archuleta is on the F team at CBS, and is usually doing Texans games with Spiro Dedes - he doesn't even bother getting the names right. If I had a buck for every time he's mentioned DeAndre Watkins or Deshaun Hopkins, I'd have enough for a case of beer.

It's so annoying - I mean, even the slightest effort avoids these mistakes.

I enjoy Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt for CFB. That's it.

The list of TV announcers that annoy me is long and distinguished. Most of the ESPN crews make me go into barf mode - but a special shout out goes to Herbie. I wonder if he gets paid by the spoken word. Gheez, talk about diarrhea of the mouth -  STFU already.

More often than not - I will mute the TV and turn the radio announcers on. Life long Browns and Buckeyes fan. Jimmy Donovan and Doug Dieken put quite a charge into their broadcasts, but they are far from Browns homers. They are quick to point out the teams faults - while acknowledging the good play of opponents. Paul Keels and Jim Lachey have the same kind of presentation in Columbus

Madden, towards the end, was terrible. The worst. He would draw you a diagram of the route the QB took to grab a seat on the sideline if the producers gave him time to.

I loved the guy. He was an NFL icon in the day. But towards the end it was like, "Jesus, John. Isn't there a beach chair and a Mai Thai waiting for you somewhere?

10 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

Madden, towards the end, was terrible.

Agreed - I think he shifted from "football mind" to "entertainer" following the success of the video games named after him. He was all over the place, very similar to the final years of Chris Berman at ESPN. 

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

The list of TV announcers that annoy me is long and distinguished. Most of the ESPN crews make me go into barf mode - but a special shout out goes to Herbie. I wonder if he gets paid by the spoken word. Gheez, talk about diarrhea of the mouth -  STFU already.

More often than not - I will mute the TV and turn the radio announcers on. Life long Browns and Buckeyes fan. Jimmy Donovan and Doug Dieken put quite a charge into their broadcasts, but they are far from Browns homers. They are quick to point out the teams faults - while acknowledging the good play of opponents. Paul Keels and Jim Lachey have the same kind of presentation in Columbus

Keels and Lachey kill it.

Keels and Ronnie Stokes are great for Buckeye hoops too.

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Dennis Miller kind of stands out in my memory.

Three hours of non-funny one-liners and no knowledge of the game.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Agreed - I think he shifted from "football mind" to "entertainer" following the success of the video games named after him. He was all over the place, very similar to the final years of Chris Berman at ESPN. 

I never thought of that, but you're probably right.

Archived