Greater player of all time? Jerry Rice or Tom Brady

mdonnelly21

119 members have voted

1. 1. Greater player of all time?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry Rice. he could have thrived in any era. This is hwat Brady would have looked like if he played in the 70s:

Except unlike Bradshaw, he would have never returned to the field.

Edited by lod01

16 hours ago, lod01 said:

Jerry Rice. he could have thrived in any era. This is hwat Brady would have looked like if he played in the 70s:

Brady won 2 Super Bowls pre 04, which is basically the same as the 90's. Also Brady's probably been one of the more durable QB's ever. 

21 hours ago, lod01 said:

Bradshaw wasn't even the best player on those stacked teams. Plus the league had fewer players and the AFC was SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than the NFC. Brady would do just as well with Chuck Noll if not better than Bradshaw did. The 1976 Steelers had a defense that had 5 shut outs in 14 games, anyone could manage that team with that defense and win a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Different positions, mostly different eras. You can't really compare them on the field.

I will say that both stand out as very hard-working players who are serious as a heart attack about their work ethic, physical fitness, preparation, and professionalism.

• 1 month later...

I can't stand the pats but Brady deserves the nod IMO. Rice had stability with 2 great QB's and teams that were usually SB calibre teams for the first 10 years  and mostly before FA took over. Brady has had to deal with constant changes in the roster and his longevity has set the bar. Rice liked pine tar, brady  and BB liked video signals so those deficiencies offset in this  comparison. 

How about voting for the player that didn't have the studying work ethic and was "just" great without trying: LTB|

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, lancerman said:

Brady’s last 16 (or a seasons worth of playoff games) 

452/702 

64.4% 

5230 yards

31 TD’s

12 INT’s

94.4 passer rating 

4.4 TD%

1.7 INT %

Thats his last seasons worth of games against playoff caliber talent 

This is brilliant. 

That’s a tremendous regular season for anyone, but with each game against playoff teams... I wonder how some of the great QBs of yesteryear look with their most recent 16 playoff games?

...if they have that many. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

He's a more dominant player at his position than Brady was his, it's really that simple. The statistics are a reflection of that 

Pretty much this. 

Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history, but he isn't the overall best player to ever play. He has never been overwhelming dominant compared to his peers. He is the NFL version of Tim Duncan, not Michael Jordan. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, game3525 said:

Pretty much this. 

Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history, but he isn't the overall best player to ever play. He has never been overwhelming dominant compared to his peers. He is the NFL version of Tim Duncan, not Michael Jordan. 

I think it depends what is valued. If you compare him to his peers, I agree and this is a good comparison. In football positional value plays a big role to winning games so to a lot of people that needs to be considered. In basketball all 5 positions are more or less the same, in football it's different. The word greatest to me is always in combination with winning and who contributes to it most.

For that matter, I would call Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor the 2 most dominant football players of all time, not the greatest.

22 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I think it depends what is valued. If you compare him to his peers, I agree and this is a good comparison. In football positional value plays a big role to winning games so to a lot of people that needs to be considered. In basketball all 5 positions are more or less the same, in football it's different. The word greatest to me is always in combination with winning and who contributes to it most.

For that matter, I would call Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor the 2 most dominant football players of all time, not the greatest.

To me, greatest of all time comes down to individual dominance. Rice, Reggie White, Taylor, Jim Brown etc. were just more dominant players individually then Brady.