TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

I'm guessing mom and pop taxi companies don't have the money to develop an app.

But the taxi unions definitely do. They’re the ones with deep pockets fighting to ban Uber and other related services. If Uber was competing against mom and pop taxis they wouldn’t be banned anywhere. Taxi groups are powerful since they pretty much have a monopoly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phire said:

But the taxi unions definitely do. They’re the ones with deep pockets fighting to ban Uber and other related services. If Uber was competing against mom and pop taxis they wouldn’t be banned anywhere. Taxi groups are powerful since they pretty much have a monopoly.

True. And the fact that they are not embracing change should be held against them. 

Taxi medallions. Talk about a crock. You have to pay for this million dollar medallion just to be able to drive a taxi in NY. And you basically spend the rest of your career paying it off. You basically finance a million dollars and hope to sell it off when you're ready to retire. I have to pay to work and hope someone wants my job when I'm too old to work and then I can retire. Or I'm completely boned. How is that even legal I have no idea. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

Taxi medallions. Talk about a crock. You have to pay for this million dollar medallion just to be able to drive a taxi in NY. And you basically spend the rest of your career paying it off. You basically finance a million dollars and hope to sell it off when you're ready to retire. I have to pay to work and hope someone wants my job when I'm too old to work and then I can retire. Or I'm completely boned. How is that even legal I have no idea. 

It's almost like going to college to get a good job.........so you can pay for your college education.

14 minutes ago, Jlash said:

It's almost like going to college to get a good job.........so you can pay for your college education.

Basically. Except you get no knowledge or any specialized skill set after years and years of your craft. 

Its more likened to buying a million dollar home and being chained to that home for your career. And then praying someone will buy your house for at least the same price.