The Official UnOfficial Free Agency & Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

46 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You do realize that was a Howie Pick and the beginning of the Power Struggle/Demotion the following  year right? Chip never wanted Smith?

I remember reading Kelly wanted Howie to trade up for OBJ not continue to trade back.

I don't care who's pick it was just thought some of the comments were funny - people thought he'd be a bonafide stud while 90% of the media thought he'd be a bust. 

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

So I'm bored at work and have been going through the Marcus Smith draft thread (because @Nabbs4u reminded me of him) - some real beauties in this one (someone even compares him to DeMarcus Ware lol). 

Not sure what I said, but I liked him as a prospect. (Not in the 1st, but I liked him)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You do realize that was a Howie Pick and the beginning of the Power Struggle/Demotion the following  year right? Chip never wanted Smith?

I remember reading Kelly wanted Howie to trade up for OBJ not continue to trade back.

On January 2, 2015, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie announced that Kelly would become head of football operations in name as well as in fact, with Roseman moving to a lesser position in contract negotiations.

Marcus Smith was a Chip Kelly Pick.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Roseman took credit for Smith. Whether he was being diplomatic or not, he takes credit. Chip didn’t like Smith and limited him, seemingly on purpose, while he was in charge. Power struggle ish. Smith played the most he’s ever played the game after Chip was fired. 

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:
5 hours ago, Danger said:

Roseman took credit for Smith. Whether he was being diplomatic or not, he takes credit. Chip didn’t like Smith and limited him, seemingly on purpose, while he was in charge. Power struggle ish. Smith played the most he’s ever played the game after Chip was fired. 

This. Either way it was right up there with the Danny Watkins of screw ups!

Edited by Nabbs4u

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/2019/06/eagles-jason-peters-best-nfl-tackle/amp/

Awesome little insight on Jason Peters and how actually talented he was/is. 

Ross Tucker was a Bills’ OL in 2003-04. 

“The day they moved him to the offensive line, he was playing tight end, and they had him come down and do 1-on-1s,” Tucker told Adam Lefkoe. “And I was never really good at 1-on-1s. It’s a very difficult drill for an offensive lineman. Jason came down and they put him at offensive tackle. Nobody could beat him.”

Tucker, who played offensive line for three seasons in the NFL, was embarrassed by how quickly Peters picked up the position.

“He was better at doing something for five seconds than I had been for 18 years,” Tucker said. “He had no idea what he was doing. His technique was all over the place. But his feet were that good and his arms were that long. They put some legit rushers up against him, too. I’m talking like Aaron Schobel. They couldn’t get anywhere.”

Video in the link. 

Edited by Jroc04

Was thinking about this very thing. Has there ever been a better position switch player to come out of nowhere as a UDRFA in the NFL other then Jason Peters?

I mean we've had players like Hines Ward, Jullian Edelman go from QB to WR for the combine.  But a Rookie UDFA TE turned into a Legit HOF LT, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better example?

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Was thinking about this very thing. Has there ever been a better position switch player to come out of nowhere as a UDRFA in the NFL other then Jason Peters?

I mean we've had players like Hines Ward, Jullian Edelman go from QB to WR for the combine.  But a Rookie UDFA TE turned into a Legit HOF LT, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better example?

Lane switched over from QB but maybe that was early college. But yea, I heard Tre Thomas talking about him on morning sports radio and he said he’s prb the best he’s ever seen. The combination of pass blocking and the athleticism to get out and  run block apparently is second to none. Just his longevity at this point is amazing. Guys are getting so strong and athletic as edge rushers and JP still shutting them down. Basically walking-on on pro team and almost automatically being one of the best LT in the league is amazing. Maybe let’s hope the Australian can pull it off too. 

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Urlacher. Safety in college, ILB in the NFL. I'm sure he played very much like a LB in college though. Still, Urlacher probably had better career than Peters, granted it is hard to compare. Both HOFers.

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Urlacher. Safety in college, ILB in the NFL. I'm sure he played very much like a LB in college though. Still, Urlacher probably had better career than Peters, granted it is hard to compare. Both HOFers.

Whewww, is that highly debatable. I don’t think I can name 3 Ts better than Peters. I probably could name at least 10 better LBs. 

And still, S to LB is a pretty easy transition. OL footwork and handwork maybe the hardest to master coming in cold. 

17 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yeah that's a great one. He did switch.

On 6/27/2019 at 3:01 PM, Jroc04 said:

Whewww, is that highly debatable. I don’t think I can name 3 Ts better than Peters. I probably could name at least 10 better LBs. 

And still, S to LB is a pretty easy transition. OL footwork and handwork maybe the hardest to master coming in cold. 

You can’t name 3 T in the history of football who were better than Peters? Are you joking?

2 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

You can’t name 3 T in the history of football who were better than Peters? Are you joking?

Maybe a little hyperbolic but I think he’s in the 3-8 range, debatably. And no, not joking. 

I love Jason as much as anyone but he's nowhere close to top 5 Alltime. Top 10 is even debatable.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1066759-the-13-best-nfl-lts-of-all-time#slide12

List doesn't even include Joe Thomas who IMO was the Best LT of this current Era! Or should I say Peters Era. I do believe though he overtook Bob Brown for best Alltime as a Eagle.

Munoz,  Ogden, Jones,  Thomas, Roaf would be my Top 5.

Edited by Nabbs4u