The Official UnOfficial Free Agency & Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

I think we gotta use trends for what they are, a suggestion/tool..not a rule. 
Yeah if Howie hasn't taken X position before it means a little that maybe he doesn't value it as much..but it's not carved in rock. It's a fluid thing.
Maybe the board was just never lining up and he'd have taken a LB in the first multiple times? or RB or safety or anywhere else. We also haven't had a gaping hole at RB for most of Howie's tenure.

Then with the other trend...Bama backs have gone in an flamed out yea, but they've had success as well.
Bama also has a way better job and not running them into the ground recently.

Also does it become a magically ok thing to wait 8 picks and take a RB at 33 overall? What if the board stops at 20 for 1st round talents and we can't trade down?
Is taking the best back on the board and having him for 5 years on the cheap have any value?

I've stated it's a bit of a luxury pick taking one in the first, but it's an ok luxury cause we don't have huge holes. (besides RB)
So if he's BPA and we are sitting there, is it an automatic F for taking him at 25?

I just don't get all the absolutes.

By all accounts JJ is a big football guy, smart, comes to work. Which is what doomed the Lacys and Richardsons...they were lazy or didn't try.
He can catch, he can make guys miss, he runs through people..(draft people have made the comp) but he's Frank Gore who catches way more.

He's not saquon...but nobody is. If we are going 12 personnel more we need to be able to run the ball...that requires a talent at RB who can pass block, run and catch. All things he does well.

I'm not saying he's my no matter what take him guy...but far dumber moves you can make than taking him at #25. If the DTs are gone, if you can't move up for an Edge, and he's sitting there. And it's between him or a lousy prospect at a position we value higher like Greg Little...they better pick Jacobs instead of pulling a Marcus Smith again.

When I look at the board, I don't see it as an asinine pick.
I want to go back and watch him, montgomery, the safeties, and edge guys as much as I did the DTs

6 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think we gotta use trends for what they are, a suggestion/tool..not a rule. 
Yeah if Howie hasn't taken X position before it means a little that maybe he doesn't value it as much..but it's not carved in rock. It's a fluid thing.
Maybe the board was just never lining up and he'd have taken a LB in the first multiple times? or RB or safety or anywhere else. We also haven't had a gaping hole at RB for most of Howie's tenure.

Then with the other trend...Bama backs have gone in an flamed out yea, but they've had success as well.
Bama also has a way better job and not running them into the ground recently.

Also does it become a magically ok thing to wait 8 picks and take a RB at 33 overall? What if the board stops at 20 for 1st round talents and we can't trade down?
Is taking the best back on the board and having him for 5 years on the cheap have any value?

I've stated it's a bit of a luxury pick taking one in the first, but it's an ok luxury cause we don't have huge holes. (besides RB)
So if he's BPA and we are sitting there, is it an automatic F for taking him at 25?

I just don't get all the absolutes.

By all accounts JJ is a big football guy, smart, comes to work. Which is what doomed the Lacys and Richardsons...they were lazy or didn't try.
He can catch, he can make guys miss, he runs through people..(draft people have made the comp) but he's Frank Gore who catches way more.

He's not saquon...but nobody is. If we are going 12 personnel more we need to be able to run the ball...that requires a talent at RB who can pass block, run and catch. All things he does well.

I'm not saying he's my no matter what take him guy...but far dumber moves you can make than taking him at #25. If the DTs are gone, if you can't move up for an Edge, and he's sitting there. And it's between him or a lousy prospect at a position we value higher like Greg Little...they better pick Jacobs instead of pulling a Marcus Smith again.

When I look at the board, I don't see it as an asinine pick.
I want to go back and watch him, montgomery, the safeties, and edge guys as much as I did the DTs

If we move up for anyone, we're only gonna have like 5 draft picks.

We have holes at:

MLB

WLB

RB

LG

CB

Not to mention we need depth at :

OT

DE

DT

WR

S

We shouldn't trade up for anyone. We should trade down. Only person it would make sense to trade up for, imo, is Andre Dillard.

No way is JP playing 16 games, and quality LT's only come out like once every 2 years, so I could understand Dillard, but we should not trade up for a DL.

• Like 1

The thing about the runningback position is that is is the most easily replaceable and usually lower impact positions. It's like the 3rd linebacker these days.

You're saying it as if it's 25 vs 33, where more accurately it's 25 vs 53. Or alternatively for a team like the Bucs 5 vs 39. HUGE difference there.

47 minutes ago, Danger said:

The thing about the runningback position is that is is the most easily replaceable and usually lower impact positions. It's like the 3rd linebacker these days.

You're saying it as if it's 25 vs 33, where more accurately it's 25 vs 53. Or alternatively for a team like the Bucs 5 vs 39. HUGE difference there.

Can definitely find them elsewhere, happens a lot. But it's not an always thing that they hit. Sometime its Kareem Hunt and sometimes it's Tony Hunt. 

5 of the top 6 RBs were first round picks stats wise last year. The guys after it were 2nd rounders or guys that had a reason that dropped them (health or behavioral issues) 

The chances are if you want an impact RB, your best chance is to take one earlier than late. 

My point was the ridiculousness some people hold that taking one in the first is this impossible thing that becomes sunshine and rainbows once it ticks over to pick 33.

Last year we saw what a bad running game did to our offense, it has an impact if you have a good one.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Can definitely find them elsewhere, happens a lot. But it's not an always thing that they hit. Sometime its Kareem Hunt and sometimes it's Tony Hunt. 

5 of the top 6 RBs were first round picks stats wise last year. The guys after it were 2nd rounders or guys that had a reason that dropped them (health or behavioral issues) 

The chances are if you want an impact RB, your best chance is to take one earlier than late. 

My point was the ridiculousness some people hold that taking one in the first is this impossible thing that becomes sunshine and rainbows once it ticks over to pick 33.

Last year we saw what a bad running game did to our offense, it has an impact if you have a good one.

Zeke Elliott is the reason we lost to the Cowboys twice. Cooper obviously went off against us, ala Corey Davis, but we simply could not stop Zeke when we needed to, even when it was obvious he was getting the ball. I want that, and Josh Jacobs can give it to us. 

Basically, I think Josh Jacobs is the one realistically obtainable skill position player in this whole class that can instantly upgrade our offense. Not just add a layer to it, like Darrell Henderson/Justice Hill or Parris Campbell/Terry McLaurin would do with their speed, but improve the whole offense because he can run you over, make you miss, catch like a wide out, and pick up the blitz. The only thing he doesn't do is run away from people for 50+ yard td's, but he's not slow. He's like Matt Forte with more power. Who wouldn't want that? Especially when your current RB1 is either Corey Clement or Wendell Smallwood. Other than maybe upgrading Isaac at LG with Lindstrom or Elgton Jenkins, the biggest positional upgrade we can make, by far, is Josh Jacobs at RB.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Making it rain Comps!

My guess is a 5th for that and another 5th for Jordan Hicks. (maybe a 6th for Hicks) so many crazy contracts this season.

Nick Foles is a 3rd obviously. 

Edited by Danger

12 minutes ago, AustrianEagle said:

we still have Darby, Jernigan and Ajayi who could net us more comp picks. hope ajayi gets at least 1,5 per year so he cancels out LJ Fort

Fort's contract isn't big, he probably won't effect comp formula.