NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Grier wasn't really in the conversation at the top. Drew Lock had shown quite a bit of success in 2017. I am curious to see if Colorado's Steve Montez can take that next step and put up big numbers, he throws a really pretty pass and has a good arm for sure.

Yeah, Montez's 2018 was a pop-up for the first 6 games...then really struggled. But given it was his first starter year, he's a guy who could very well earn Rd1 consideration.

Honestly, I know this is the time where EVERYONE says "next year's class is way better than this year's" - but for 2 years, I was saying how 2018's was miles ahead of 2019, and last year, how much I hoped DEN would stay away from the top of the 2019 QB class and sit out until 2020.  So it's not just now.  To take it one step further - I have no problem with a team diving in Rd3-4 or later for this year's class, because ironically the tier 2/3 backup-type class is actually really deep - whereas 2018 sucked that way.   But I want no part of this 2019 class if it's not Haskins until Rd3-4 at earliest (Murray isn't a realistic option for us, both where we pick, but Elway's myopia about size).   We need a backup badly, so that's fine.  I just pray Elway holds off on the big QBOTF investment until next year.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, Montez's 2018 was a pop-up for the first 6 games...then really struggled. But given it was his first starter year, he's a guy who could very well earn Rd1 consideration.

Honestly, I know this is the time where EVERYONE says "next year's class is way better than this year's" - but for 2 years, I was saying how 2018's was miles ahead of 2019, and last year, how much I hoped DEN would stay away from the top of the 2019 QB class and sit out until 2020.  So it's not just now.  To take it one step further - I have no problem with a team diving in Rd3-4 or later for this year's class, because ironically the tier 2/3 backup-type class is actually really deep - whereas 2018 sucked that way.   But I want no part of this 2019 class if it's not Haskins until Rd3-4 at earliest (Murray isn't a realistic option for us, both where we pick, but Elway's myopia about size).   We need a backup badly, so that's fine.  I just pray Elway holds off on the big QBOTF investment until next year.

2020 seems to be one of the deeper classes but I'm not sold on anyone being Elite. A lot of potential top 10 guys, but no "#1 lock"
2021 is a lot of unknown right now aside from TLaw. Fields could come into play? And after that it's a lot of unknown

Maybe Iowa State's Brock Purdy? Kinda small at 6-1 202 but could be an option. Alan Bowman of Texas Tech?

Just now, WindyCity said:

That first draft is awful for Lynch and he got so much positive pub for it.

It looked good 2 years ago to be fair but things didn't go as planned. Kittle was a great pickup but the CB they got is awful and the other 2 are straight busts.

Just now, SBLIII said:

It looked good 2 years ago to be fair but things didn't go as planned. Kittle was a great pickup but the CB they got is awful and the other 2 are straight busts.

Beatherd in the 3rd was beat out by an UDFA

The RB in the 4th never played a snap.

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

2020 seems to be one of the deeper classes but I'm not sold on anyone being Elite. A lot of potential top 10 guys, but no "#1 lock"
2021 is a lot of unknown right now aside from TLaw. Fields could come into play? And after that it's a lot of unknown

Maybe Iowa State's Brock Purdy? Kinda small at 6-1 202 but could be an option. Alan Bowman of Texas Tech?

There may be no generational talent, but there appear to be a lot more Rd1 worthy QB's in 2020 right now at this time of year, much like 2018 that had 2 main guys and 2 intriguing guys pre-start of year (Darnold/Rosen were seen as locks, and Mayfield/Allen were seen as risers, Jackson was a project-type).   2019's class at this time was so murky, and no one who was being discussed lived up to it by season's end.  That's such a huge difference.  I mean, we're talking Herbert, Fromm, Tua, Eason, and some 2018 pop-up guys like Montez and Costello.

I don't worry about 2021 until next offseason, Lawrence is special, but the 2021 class' window to make noise for legit Rd1 talk is next year.   Only special talents make noise this soon.   It would be like worrying about 2018's draft before the 2016 college season, or 2019 before 2017.   After each season, fair game to start projecting.   

Archived