O...B...J... IS A CLEVELAND BROWN

Horseunit

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, he listed 90 million per year in total salary and you’re arguing about 5 million of it.

I think his point still stands.

Yeah after all those guys get those contracts, $5m is gonna be a big deal. 

He is also talking about making sure to have money to resign those guys. Anyone brought in via trade or FA this year wont be affecting of those guys get signed or not signed. 

So after reading through this I did end up doing some research on the salary cap regarding Odell Beckham.

If the Giants traded him it would actually only count 16 million in dead money for them this year, so they would be saving 5 million dollars on his contract, it wouldn't be the 35 million that cutting him would cost.

Similarly if the browns picked him up we would have the ability to cut him after 2 years and it only cost us 8 million in dead money, saving us 12 million in cap space after 2020 when we need to start thinking of extensions for Garrett and Baker.

All that being said, 21 million dollars is damn near all the free cap space we have.  We are really only 28 million under the cap, but the number looks large because we have 58 million in roll over from last year (a 1 time use amount).  So trading for OBJ would hamper virtually anything else we could do this off season.

I have a hard time giving that much money up for a WR, but to give up that much money AND give up draft assets?  Those are what we need to be using to supplement talent when we have to start loosing guys because of cap issues.  It just doesn't seem like a smart idea on our part to make a move like this...

• Like 2

I have a hard time giving that much money up for a WR, but to give up that much money AND give up draft assets?  Those are what we need to be using to supplement talent when we have to start loosing guys because of cap issues.  It just doesn't seem like a smart idea on our part to make a move like this...

This is where I’m at.  With success inevitably comes the loss of talent via FA.  You need those picks, especially next year and the year after to start to allow for a continued influx of young, relatively cheap talent.

Just wondering where all of this talk is coming, almost like smoke. Did some back channel talk bring this up? did his reps contact someone's agent and say he wouldn't mind playing here? Did he just come out and say he wants to play here? If he did, is Dorsey weighing his options?

Or is all of this speculation derived from Media

If we could land OBJ for #17, #80, and next year's 2nd round pick, I am making that trade. OBJ is a remarkable talent and the diva issues aren't that big of an issue considering that is a pretty consistent dynamic to manage from the WR position. He provides us an extremely young and talented WR position group that can develop with Baker at QB. As contracts play out and players develop we can make moves accordingly to manage the monetary issues. Additionally, I don't see the sacrifice in draft capital to be overly concerning given Dorsey's success throughout past drafts. Dorsey has demonstrated an ability to find talent in less than premium rounds, which helps our ability to make a move like this. This is the type of pickup that could put us in control of the AFC North for years to come. I would love a draft/off season like:

Resign some of our key free agents to budget friendly extended deals, which it seems like we are already in the process of doing, followed by:

1.) Odell Beckham, Jr., WR NYG (via trade of #17, #80, and 2020 2nd round pick to NYG)

2.) Jerry Tillery, DT Notre Dame or Jeffrey Simmons, DT Mississippi St.

3.) Trayvon Mullen , CB Clemson or Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple

4.) Andy Isabella, WR UMASS or Terry McLaurin, WR Ohio State

5a.)Yodney Cajuste, OT West Virginia, Isaiah Prince, OT Ohio State, or Chuma Edoga, OT USC

5b.) Khalen Saunders, DT Western Illinois,

5c.) Carl Granderson, DE/OLB Wyoming

6.) Kaleb McGary, OT Washington

7a.) Daylon Mack, DT Texas A&M

7b.) Renell Wren, DT Arizona St.

This would bring in a lot of competition and potential depth/talent for both the offensive and defensive lines, WRs, and edge defense. If we resign the right people we should still have a strong secondary, but that would be a key area of focus heading into the 2020 draft.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Just wondering where all of this talk is coming, almost like smoke. Did some back channel talk bring this up? did his reps contact someone's agent and say he wouldn't mind playing here? Did he just come out and say he wants to play here? If he did, is Dorsey weighing his options?

Or is all of this speculation derived from Media

Someone asked Jay Glazer to make a bold prediction for this year. His answer was that Odell would be traded. 

So yes media speculation. And as usual the fans and media are slurping it up like it’s truth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Someone asked Jay Glazer to make a bold prediction for this year. His answer was that Odell would be traded. 

So yes media speculation. And as usual the fans and media are slurping it up like it’s truth. 

Yeah, it's silly season, but it is fun to banter about the "what ifs" at this time of the year.

Yeah I have no idea why they would trade OBJ. The only real reason I could see is to move up to take a surefire franchise QB. There isn't one and they are drafting high enough they could use other resources if they did want to move up. I don't think he is going anywhere.

It's the offseason though so gotta talk about something unless we want to get into the AAF.

Edited by Thomas5737