Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

Doolittle was put on the 10-day IL today. Finally! Seemed like a move they should've made weeks ago.

Hopefully, he gets right and gets the rest he needs for the home stretch.

Nats hit the cover off the all today! Damn!

Edited by turtle28

On 8/16/2019 at 8:37 PM, turtle28 said:

Davey had to overuse Doolittle before the trade deadline bc Rizzo & the Lerner’s gave Davey a trash bullpen. You can blame Davey for numerous things, you can't blame him for the bullpen.

Yes, but Davey could have stepped back from his usage of Doolittle after the trade deadline. Except he has the "the closer closes because he's the closer" tautology mentality. The other guys they picked up could have been given more responsibilities. Also, Davey didn't have to pinch hit one of his new bullpen options before he was scheduled to pitch and pull the guy's Achilles.

12 hours ago, Woz said:

Yes, but Davey could have stepped back from his usage of Doolittle after the trade deadline. Except he has the "the closer closes because he's the closer" tautology mentality. The other guys they picked up could have been given more responsibilities. Also, Davey didn't have to pinch hit one of his new bullpen options before he was scheduled to pitch and pull the guy's Achilles.

On the other hand, it's hard to trust guys that came from other clubs at this point, especially during a tight pennant race.  And none of them have experience closing out games, which I think is something overlooked.  I don't think the closer needs to close just because they are the closer, but some pitchers do not handle that kind of pressure well. 

I will say I dont understand why some of the new guys arent used in more high leverage situations right now. 

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And none of them have experience closing out games, which I think is something overlooked. 

?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/strichu01.shtml - 21 career saves (85 games finished)
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hudsoda01.shtml - 12 career saves (75 games finished)

So, while it might not be the main part of their respective games, they have closed out games before.

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I will say I dont understand why some of the new guys arent used in more high leverage situations right now. 

Basically, Davey is the "Martian making PBJ" problem(*) made flesh. He has the plan for how the roster should be laid out, how the game should be managed, how the pitchers should be handled, etc. Some rules from the plan include things like:

• "the setup man sets up the closer because he's the set up man."
  • "the closer closes the game because he's the closer."

Each player is in a descriptive box that says what their responsibility is. Once they are in their box, they cannot be moved to another box or used in a way the box is not prescribed for usage. There is no deviation from the plan, no originality, no adjustments. There is just the plan. If the plan fails, that is because the players did not execute the plan correctly.

As such, he's taking a really good team and hampering it due to his inadequate understanding of how to manage effectively.

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm7iQ6zk-8o

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Unfortunately, your post is very good @Woz. I obviously say unfortunately because it's correct and upsets me. 

It came to me in a flash of insight this morning.

washington-nationals-v-chicago-cubs-5b72

The patented Davey Martinez thousand yard stare ...

9 hours ago, Woz said:

?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/strichu01.shtml - 21 career saves (85 games finished)
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hudsoda01.shtml - 12 career saves (75 games finished)

So, while it might not be the main part of their respective games, they have closed out games before.

Basically, Davey is the "Martian making PBJ" problem(*) made flesh. He has the plan for how the roster should be laid out, how the game should be managed, how the pitchers should be handled, etc. Some rules from the plan include things like:

• "the setup man sets up the closer because he's the set up man."
  • "the closer closes the game because he's the closer."

Each player is in a descriptive box that says what their responsibility is. Once they are in their box, they cannot be moved to another box or used in a way the box is not prescribed for usage. There is no deviation from the plan, no originality, no adjustments. There is just the plan. If the plan fails, that is because the players did not execute the plan correctly.

As such, he's taking a really good team and hampering it due to his inadequate understanding of how to manage effectively.

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm7iQ6zk-8o

There are still a lot of coaches who manage this way, and it frustrates me.  The playoffs are a different animal, but the successful teams adapt and go outside of the typical rules for bullpen use.  Although a lot of that is just using the closer for 4-6 outs instead of 3.  In a close game, your best reliever should face the best hitters end of discussion.  

As an Orioles fan, I care a lot less about bullpen roles this year, just because I want guys to get experience doing something.  If it's closing, that's fine.  If it's something else, cool.  It's not like many of these guys are going to be here for the long haul, so if closing makes a player more valuable on the trade market, I'm all for it. 

If we can keep scoring 10 runs a game, that will take alot of pressure of the pitching staff.

Also - I think I brought this up a while ago in the thread, but let's say you buy out Juan Soto's arbitration and give him something like a 10 yr, 150M deal similar to what the Braves just did for Acuna. Who says no?

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

If we can keep scoring 10 runs a game, that will take alot of pressure of the pitching staff.

Also - I think I brought this up a while ago in the thread, but let's say you buy out Juan Soto's arbitration and give him something like a 10 yr, 150M deal similar to what the Braves just did for Acuna. Who says no?

Probably Soto when the Lerners want to defer $140 of it till 2090.

I'm pretty sure Soto's agent is Boras, so you're probably not getting an extension. 

And if I'm Soto, I say hell no. Acuna's extra value is in his athleticism. That will fade as he gets older. Soto's bat isn't going anywhere for a long time. Dude is going to hit until he's 40. 

Edited by Slateman