Would Dorsey trade up??? If so for who? And what would he be willing to give up?

brownie man

3 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think he would if he really loved someone in a position of need. But this draft is deep enough that he'll stay put or trade back.

I dont know if this needed its own thread or not but here it goes......

I recently heard John Dorseys father or grandfather were lawyers who often dealt with second chance men/women. Basically defense attorneys for people who went astray and made mistakes. I listened to the radio the other day when we signed Hunt and they suggested because of Dorseys grandfathers occupation of helping people get back on their feet, thats where John gets his penchant for signing players with character issues. 

Thats the life hes always been around and he saw his dad/grandpa help people like that which is why he always seems to take chances on players with shaky pasts. 

I thought that was super interesting.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I recently heard John Dorseys father or grandfather were lawyers who often dealt with second chance men/women. Basically defense attorneys for people who went astray and made mistakes. I listened to the radio the other day when we signed Hunt and they suggested because of Dorseys grandfathers occupation of helping people get back on their feet, thats where John gets his penchant for signing players with character issues. 

Thats the life hes always been around and he saw his dad/grandpa help people like that which is why he always seems to take chances on players with shaky pasts. 

That is and I would love to read that article if you happen to find it again. That actually explains a lot about why he is willing to take those risks. Great post!

1 minute ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

That is and I would love to read that article if you happen to find it again. That actually explains a lot about why he is willing to take those risks. Great post!

I live in Columbus and do a lot of driving for work---which means I listed to 97.1 the Fan often. They mentioned that story when I was listening in reference to Kareem Hunt and I was like it all makes sense now.

IDK if there is something out there on the web about it but I would be interested to find out more.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The cynic in me just thinks this is a cozy way to spin having no moral compass re: who you employ.

I can respect either approach.

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I personally would do it because I want Baker to have the best weapons possible.

but I don’t think Dorsey would trade our second. Maybe our 3rd but not our second. 

We could get up to around pick 12 with our first third rounder and pick 14 with our second third rounder. Pick 12 or 14 might do it to grab the last blue chipper if a few QBs go high along with a surprise or two (like multiple OT, some EDGE guys going fast etc.).

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Probably not, but I think we could possibly see a WR, TE, OL, DT, DE, LB, CB.  I think it’s possible that 2 players from a few of those positions could make the team too, mostly as special teams (LB, CB).

This is flawed logic.  It assumes the player is a guaranteed “hit”.  Trading multiple picks to trade up for someone who’s a bust is exponentially worse than staying put and making multiple picks.  

I’d argue depth is most definitely an issue.  

And yes, the window has just begun, no need to go “all in” on the first hand.  Play the hands your dealt, take minimal risks and keep yourself in the game. 

That’s what the good teams do anyway...

If Dorsey feels one guy is head and shoulders better than someone they might have at 17 I trust his judgement and I'd be fine moving up.

Our depth isn't great but it's not bad. Seems like he will find more depth players in FA.

I'm not saying to go all in. Moving up 5ish spots and giving up a 3rd is not mortgaging the future. 

I never like giving up next years picks so I'd prefer we didnt do that.

2 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

I'm not saying to go all in. Moving up 5ish spots and giving up a 3rd is not mortgaging the future. 

Nah, for a third I’d be fine with that.

2 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

I never like giving up next years picks so I'd prefer we didnt do that.

Unless it’s for a QB I think it’s bad business tbh.

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Is there any player Dorsey or fans would be okay with giving up picks 17 and 49 for the Bills 9th pick to select? Curious for my mock draft I plan to do.

We do not need anything enough to warrent giving up our first and second.

I could see us giving up 17 + NE's 3rd + NE's 5th to move up a few spots like Arizona did last year for Josh Rosen.

People have said Oliver (which I LOVE) or White or Williams or Bosa or Allen...

But we have a #1 pass rusher, we have a #1 Corner, we have a QB.  We really need a #2 CB, #2 pass rusher, a 3-Tech Dlinemen, a possession receiver, and a Linebacker.  None of those positions tend to go super high in the draft and none are worthy of giving up 2 starting calaber players for....

If oliver or White fall to 10-12 and we can give up a 3rd and a 5th? then we can talk

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

We do not need anything enough to warrent giving up our first and second.

I could see us giving up 17 + NE's 3rd + NE's 5th to move up a few spots like Arizona did last year for Josh Rosen.

People have said Oliver (which I LOVE) or White or Williams or Bosa or Allen...

But we have a #1 pass rusher, we have a #1 Corner, we have a QB.  We really need a #2 CB, #2 pass rusher, a 3-Tech Dlinemen, a possession receiver, and a Linebacker.  None of those positions tend to go super high in the draft and none are worthy of giving up 2 starting calaber players for....

If oliver or White fall to 10-12 and we can give up a 3rd and a 5th? then we can talk

This.  Shut the thread down.

sign me up.

15. CLEVELAND BROWNS - HOUSTON DT ED OLIVER

Ed Oliver

(Photo: Troy Taormina, USA TODAY Sports)

TRADE!

Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver is a special player. With three quarterbacks going in the top ten, it pushed some good players down. Instead of waiting for the Carolina Panthers to take Oliver at No. 16 overall, General Manager John Dorsey leaps over them to select Oliver. The Browns have a dynamic pairing at defensive tackle with Larry Ogunjobi and Oliver but it will cost them fourth and fifth round choices.

bnptmi00t5k21.jpg

30 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

sign me up.

15. CLEVELAND BROWNS - HOUSTON DT ED OLIVER

Ed Oliver(Photo: Troy Taormina, USA TODAY Sports)

TRADE!

Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver is a special player. With three quarterbacks going in the top ten, it pushed some good players down. Instead of waiting for the Carolina Panthers to take Oliver at No. 16 overall, General Manager John Dorsey leaps over them to select Oliver. The Browns have a dynamic pairing at defensive tackle with Larry Ogunjobi and Oliver but it will cost them fourth and fifth round choices.

If this happens Dorsey gets a statue immediately.

Archived