What is Rosen worth and to who?

dll2000

On 3/16/2019 at 8:36 PM, Skins212689 said:

You saying that you would do something is not explaining why you would it. If you did explain why you would make that move, I guess I missed it. I know I've explained Why I wouldn't be offering a 1st round pick for Rosen.

So you wouldn't offer a first for Rosen because Arizona's leverage in negotiations is worsened by the fact they drafted or are planning to draft Murray? I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's not about 'teams interested in Rosen' versus Arizona. It's 'teams interested in Rosen' versus each other. 

If it comes to pass that Rosen is for sale teams are going to be bidding against each other for his services, which could very likely lead to a team departing with first round pick if they value him enough. 

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

So you wouldn't offer a first for Rosen because Arizona's leverage in negotiations is worsened by the fact they drafted or are planning to draft Murray? I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's not about 'teams interested in Rosen' versus Arizona. It's 'teams interested in Rosen' versus each other. 

If it comes to pass that Rosen is for sale teams are going to be bidding against each other for his services, which could very likely lead to a team departing with first round pick if they value him enough. 

You’re a saint for taking the time to explain it.  

I tried once, but it didn’t take.  Fingers crossed this time.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

True, just like teams were bidding for AB and Odell. I change what I said in the past and if it were to be a bidding war I could see Rosen gone for a 2nd round pick. 

7 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

True, just like teams were bidding for AB and Odell. I change what I said in the past and if it were to be a bidding war I could see Rosen gone for a 2nd round pick. 

The AB trade is incomparable and isn't relevant to this discussion. He forced his way out of Pittsburgh, required a huge contract, and comes with the caveat of his personality. Two completely different scenarios. Pittsburgh had zero leverage in negotiations and there were few suitors who would abide by his demands/antics.

I'm also not sure what Odell has to do with this. 

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Who would be the teams A) bidding against each other and B) driving the price up to a 1st round pick?

Giants, Dolphins, Broncos, and Redskins are the only teams he could go to where he would more than likely start Day 1.  Dolphins are clearly tanking, so they probably wouldn't jump into the foray.  Broncos and Redskins traded for Flacco and Keenum respectively, and Redskins already have too much invested in the QB position.  Giants are the only team in the bunch who would probably be bidding for him.

Steelers, Patriots, and Chargers could be potential teams because of the age of their QBs, but there is no way any of them are driving the past beyond a 2nd round pick (if that).  We already know how Ben feels about the team using critical resources on a QB and Patriots probably aren't that concerned about their future QB considering they traded Jimmy G and Brissett.

I just don't see the demand.  Not at an asking price of a 1st round pick anyway.  Which is why IMO they would be a lot better off keeping him regardless if they draft Murray.

11 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

The AB trade is incomparable and isn't relevant to this discussion. He forced his way out of Pittsburgh, required a huge contract, and comes with the caveat of his personality. Two completely different scenarios. Pittsburgh had zero leverage in negotiations and there were few suitors who would abide by his demands/antics.

I'm also not sure what Odell has to do with this. 

Cool so let's just wait it out and see what they get for him. There are few teams IMO who are gonna fall for the Cardinals demand of a 1st round pick for Rosen if they draft Murray. It's their Antics of drafting QBs back to back in the 1st round of the draft that put them in this situation. 

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Who would be the teams A) bidding against each other and B) driving the price up to a 1st round pick?

Giants, Dolphins, Broncos, and Redskins are the only teams he could go to where he would more than likely start Day 1.  Dolphins are clearly tanking, so they probably wouldn't jump into the foray.  Broncos and Redskins traded for Flacco and Keenum respectively, and Redskins already have too much invested in the QB position.  Giants are the only team in the bunch who would probably be bidding for him.

Steelers, Patriots, and Chargers could be potential teams because of the age of their QBs, but there is no way any of them are driving the past beyond a 2nd round pick (if that).  We already know how Ben feels about the team using critical resources on a QB and Patriots probably aren't that concerned about their future QB considering they traded Jimmy G and Brissett.

I just don't see the demand.  Not at an asking price of a 1st round pick anyway.  Which is why IMO they would be a lot better off keeping him regardless if they draft Murray.

The Chargers would definitely trade for him unless they think Rivers is playing 3 more years.  Rosen would be making around 2m a year for the remainder of his rookie deal.  That fact would be attractive to Belichick as well but Brady is retiring anytime soon.  

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Cool so let's just wait it out and see what they get for him. There are few teams IMO who are gonna fall for the Cardinals demand of a 1st round pick for Rosen if they draft Murray. It's their Antics of drafting QBs back to back in the 1st round of the draft that put them in this situation. 

I'm not saying he's guaranteed to fetch a first. I'm saying drafting Kyler Murray doesn't significantly affect Rosen's trade value.

23 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

The Chargers would definitely trade for him unless they think Rivers is playing 3 more years.  Rosen would be making around 2m a year for the remainder of his rookie deal.  That fact would be attractive to Belichick as well but Brady is retiring anytime soon.  

If we're entertaining the idea of Rosen not being worth a first, then that means you're adding even more teams into that mix.  If we're going with older QBs, then don't forget the Saints, and then there are teams whose QBs aren't absolutely proven franchise guys, so add the Titans, Bengals, Cowboys, and Bucs who are at least interested.  The Jags just signed Foles, but he's floundered elsewhere and if the price is low enough, why not?  The Raiders may want to move on from Carr, we know, but maybe they like Rosen better than Haskins, so they're in.

So, teams that are potentially interested, we now have: Giants, Dolphins, Steelers, Chargers, Patriots, Titans, Bengals, Cowboys, Bucs, Jags, and Raiders.  So, a third of the league.

Then there's the fact that the Cardinals don't have to offload Rosen.  They could keep both if no one bids high enough, since they're on rookie contracts.  Let them compete, and wait until someone's desperate.  Hell, keep two high rookie QBs until you know for sure which one's better, why not?

You can't possibly say the Cards have no leverage or that there won't be a lot of demand to drive up his price.

27 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm not saying he's guaranteed to fetch a first. I'm saying drafting Kyler Murray doesn't significantly affect Rosen's trade value.

If he doesn't get them a 1st round pick, it will be proven his value was affected. He was a 1st round pick so anything less than that is less than the vaule they originally got him for.

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If we're entertaining the idea of Rosen not being worth a first, then that means you're adding even more teams into that mix.  If we're going with older QBs, then don't forget the Saints, and then there are teams whose QBs aren't absolutely proven franchise guys, so add the Titans, Bengals, Cowboys, and Bucs who are at least interested.  The Jags just signed Foles, but he's floundered elsewhere and if the price is low enough, why not?  The Raiders may want to move on from Carr, we know, but maybe they like Rosen better than Haskins, so they're in.

So, teams that are potentially interested, we now have: Giants, Dolphins, Steelers, Chargers, Patriots, Titans, Bengals, Cowboys, Bucs, Jags, and Raiders.  So, a third of the league.

Then there's the fact that the Cardinals don't have to offload Rosen.  They could keep both if no one bids high enough, since they're on rookie contracts.  Let them compete, and wait until someone's desperate.  Hell, keep two high rookie QBs until you know for sure which one's better, why not?

You can't possibly say the Cards have no leverage or that there won't be a lot of demand to drive up his price.

When have two 1st round QBs played for the same team while both were on Rookie contracts? 

Archived