Dee Ford

BayBubbPackFan

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Didn’t Mack need a new contract too?

Well the difference is Mack was good from day one. He'd been elite for a while. He also signed a new contract before the season. Dee Ford, did not have a reputation as an elite pass rusher and then had by far his best season in a contract year.

11 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Well the difference is Mack was good from day one. He'd been elite for a while. He also signed a new contract before the season. Dee Ford, did not have a reputation as an elite pass rusher and then had by far his best season in a contract year.

It’s no mystery Mack is a better player, Which is why Mack commanded multiple first round picks. 

30 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

It’s no mystery Mack is a better player, Which is why Mack commanded multiple first round picks. 

I think his point may be slightly going over your head. Its always worrisome when a player only shows out right before pay day and thats exactly what happened with Dee Ford.

Prior to his contract year he was widely viewed as a bust. That's worrisome and always concerning for a buying team. Its one thing to give up money to that player and its another thing to give draft capital and a big contract to that player. 

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I think his point may be slightly going over your head. Its always worrisome when a player only shows out right before pay day and thats exactly what happened with Dee Ford.

Prior to his contract year he was widely viewed as a bust. That's worrisome and always concerning for a buying team. Its one thing to give up money to that player and its another thing to give draft capital and a big contract to that player. 

Not really. It's for a 2nd rounder. Which acknowledges his production isn't regarded on the same page as a superstar like Mack.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Not really. It's for a 2nd rounder. Which acknowledges his production isn't regarded on the same page as a superstar like Mack.

Its a 2nd rounder and a hefty contract for a 1 year wonder. Thats a lot to give up for someone who didnt figure it out until it effected his wallet.

2 hours ago, BayBubbPackFan said:

KC knows the depth of this years edge class, so might be the reason for the report.

I wonder if the Packers know anything about this edge class, or is that part of the Kansas City BBQ sauce recipe that they aren't sharing?

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I wonder if the Packers know anything about this edge class, or is that part of the Kansas City BBQ sauce recipe that they aren't sharing?

We aren't privileged to such knowledge being a small market team and only having Americas finest cheese to offer. 

3 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Its a 2nd rounder and a hefty contract for a 1 year wonder. Thats a lot to give up for someone who didnt figure it out until it effected his wallet.

Yeah he basically pulled a Nick Perry to get a better contract

6 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

While, I agree this season was by far his best. It is actually his 2nd season with 10 or more sacks. Not sure I would call him a 1 year wonder.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, I'm not a huge Dee Ford guy.  If we're dealing with KC, I'd rather get Houston for a 5th or 6th rounder before they cut him anyways. 

Did you see what Houston's on the books for regarding salary/comp going into this season and next? 33 million that we'd have to shell out for the guy plus a pick? Definition of insanity right there. 

I'd part with a 2nd and pay Ford. He's a known commodity in the NFL and we were going to give up 2 - 1st and pay Kalil Mack 20+ a year. I"m all in on that deal. Quiet honestly, I'd throw in Nick Perry who will be a better fit in a 4-3 defense KC wants to play. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Did you see what Houston's on the books for regarding salary/comp going into this season and next? 33 million that we'd have to shell out for the guy plus a pick? Definition of insanity right there. 

I'd part with a 2nd and pay Ford. He's a known commodity in the NFL and we were going to give up 2 - 1st and pay Kalil Mack 20+ a year. I"m all in on that deal. 

Houston is less risk. Low value pick in exchange for a veteran EDGE who can still get after it, yet without the guaranteed money hanging over our head. $15 mil for 2019 is steep but manageable and not much more (if any) versus what Houston would get on the open market anyways. The $17 mil for 2020 can always be restructured or extended or you can just cut him. 

With Ford, you're giving up a premium pick plus you're having to make a huge commitment to him financially. He's going to command a top EDGE deal over 4-5 years and if it doesn't work out, you're dealing with a situation worse than Nick Perry. Personally, I'm not as high on Ford as others and I see a guy who had a huge year statistically in a contract year. I know he had 10 sacks in 2016 but other than that, it's been average for him.  If I have to take that kind of risk with a player like Ford, I'd rather not have to give up a 2nd round pick in the process. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Houston is less risk. Low value pick in exchange for a veteran EDGE who can still get after it, yet without the guaranteed money hanging over our head. $15 mil for 2019 is steep but manageable and not much more (if any) versus what Houston would get on the open market anyways. The $17 mil for 2020 can always be restructured or extended or you can just cut him. 

With Ford, you're giving up a premium pick plus you're having to make a huge commitment to him financially. He's going to command a top EDGE deal over 4-5 years and if it doesn't work out, you're dealing with a situation worse than Nick Perry. Personally, I'm not as high on Ford as others and I see a guy who had a huge year statistically in a contract year. I know he had 10 sacks in 2016 but other than that, it's been average for him.  If I have to take that kind of risk with a player like Ford, I'd rather not have to give up a 2nd round pick in the process. 

Just no! I completely disagree with this. If Houston was still all that he would not be on the market. He's much more suited to play DE in a 4-3 than Ford. No way I'm paying him anywhere close to what his contract calls for. 

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'd part with a 2nd and pay Ford. He's a known commodity in the NFL and we were going to give up 2 - 1st and pay Kalil Mack 20+ a year. I"m all in on that deal. Quiet honestly, I'd throw in Nick Perry who will be a better fit in a 4-3 defense KC wants to play. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

To add to that point, the strong reports that KC is going to release Houston.

Trying for a trade partner, but it is not gonna happen. So KC will release him sometime before free agency.

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Just no! I completely disagree with this. If Houston was still all that he would not be on the market. He's much more suited to play DE in a 4-3 than Ford. No way I'm paying him anywhere close to what his contract calls for. 

Let me state it another way that has nothing to do with Houston. Dee Ford IMO isn't the difference maker that makes me okay with giving him a huge deal PLUS giving up a high draft pick. I was fine doing it with Mack because he's Khalil Mack. I'm fine signing Dee Ford to an expensive deal, but not if it requires giving up a high pick. He's not that type of player for me. I'd rather just sign Z. Smith and/or Barr, keep my pick, and draft an EDGE at 12. 

Archived