Dee Ford

BayBubbPackFan

6 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Gipson and Amos/Phillips could probably be had for the same combined price as ET and fill BOTH safety needs, plus I don't expect him to play all 16 games, here's where that 2nd round pick would come in handy.

Also if Oliver is there at 12 (I've seen it happen in some mocks) and Polite falls to 30 (also not completely outside the realm of possibility after the Combine showing), we could have a D of:

Oliver-Clark-Daniels

Ford-Crawford/Burk/DP-Martinez-Polite/Fackrell

Alexander-Amos-Gipson-Breeland/Jackson

Can you say... championship caliber defense?

Not a lot of capital for filling other needs, though.

Fackrell's 2018 was an aberration, IMO. Leaving Kevin King out of the secondary is not smart. He's going to start next to Alexander when we are in base. I'd rather have ET and either Jones or Brice than the two you have at safety. 

I'm good with Oliver at 12 for sure. Still think Polite is gone b4 30 but he could be there in middle of second too. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That he earned. You'd rather give it to 4 sack Preston Smith? Or hope Anthony Barr can convert positions effectively?

It's not one deal we're "giving" out. Preston would be a cheaper option. There's hella guys in the draft, you know this. Trading for franchised guys that aren't super stars is sucker **** imo 

24 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i'm pretty shocked most of you are open to this. terrible asset management. like obviously terrible asset management. Give me a talent like CGJ w/ that 2nd rounder for cheap af the next 4 years. Sign an edge rusher like Preston Smith and then still have extra money that would've been given to Dee to sign ANOTHER safety or like a guard. I don't get it whatsoever. That'd be one of the worst moves I've seen GB execute. And I know "CGJ might not be there" and "We might get outbid on Preston", i get that, I just mean acquiring talents on their levels. This is a pretty obvious thing, which is why I'm confused people are on board.  

The only crap part is we need to trade for him, but he's basically a mid to top tier first round pick in talent that we'd be trading a 2nd for. If indeed we only trade him for a 2nd, we'd still be getting wayyy better talent than 44 would. I'm willing to risk it because we have 2 first round picks this year. But at the same time I won't be depressed if we didn't end up getting him. We shall see how desperate we are to get a good EDGE this year

10 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

It's not one deal we're "giving" out. Preston would be a cheaper option. There's hella guys in the draft, you know this. Trading for franchised guys that aren't super stars is sucker **** imo 

Dee Ford is exclusive rights, he's either a Chief or the team that trades for him. Preston Smith is unrestricted and can negotiate between 32 teams, some with 100+ million in cap space. I'll guarantee their salaries are similar. Especially if you finalized a trade and contract with him before Monday.

13 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

If reports are true Smith isn’t going to be much cheaper and you’re also not guaranteed to get him as he can go anywhere he wants 

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

Burns and/or Ferrell might be there.

Also, Za'Darius Smith could be had for the same or cheaper price and allow us to keep that 2nd rounder.

Ford had nearly as many sacks last year as Smith has in his career. People are stumbling over themselves for this guy, yet rip Clay. I don't get it

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Ford had nearly as many sacks last year as Smith has in his career. People are stumbling over themselves for this guy, yet rip Clay. I don't get it

I'm sure Smith will be overpaid, but Clay can't win one on ones ... at all.  He's now just a try hard guy that has to be moved all over the place .. can only get home with deception.

55 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The only crap part is we need to trade for him, but he's basically a mid to top tier first round pick in talent that we'd be trading a 2nd for.

Which would be fine and dandy if we didn't have so many other holes to fill, especially OL.

Archived