Ravens release Eric Weddle

RavensFC

Screen-Shot-2019-01-30-at-7.30.18-AM.png

The fifth option is to cut Jefferson with a post June 1st designation. Would be opening up cap room for the draft picks and late off-season adds. I think that's the most likely thing to happen if Tony is cut. Which I'm doubtful of. Not sure the team wants the defense to go through much more of a drastic change. Even though it would be a good thing in this case.

first of all he solidified  a position that the Ravens had unsuccesfully tried to fill after 20 left, so hats off to him for a few good years.

would have liked to keep him on a restuctured deal for another year to groom and mentor his successor but so be it.

as others have mentioned Collins would be a redundand move to Jefferson so unfortunately can't see that happening.

With the cut of Weddle, Z. Smith most likely leaving in FA, Mosley possibly getting overpayed, Jimmy Smiths contract and the silence around Urban, Suggs having a market according to twitter, we could potentially lose 6 starters.

Don't think it will happen though, and I expect Suggs and Urban back. I could also see Weddle coming back on a two year deal if he doesn't have anything going for him in free agency.

Unfortunately to me.. I see us losing a few guys 

Smith = next McPhee.. never amounted to much more after his contract 

Suggs = back on a 2 year deal. Less guaranteed to not screw us if we cut or he retires after this year 

Weddle = signs somewhere for a fair deal and we all get pissed that we didn’t offer it. 

Urban = returns on a 3-4 mill range. But I’m not opposed to letting Henry loose and Zieler if he’s made strides. 

Mosley = I’m on the fence he resigns and us fans won’t be the happiest at the figures. Almost like the Brandon williams numbers. 

If we lose both Smith and Mosley and Boyle, we could look at a whole lof of compensation picks in next years draft.

I really can't see why we would not try to keep Urban. Huge contribution once he was finally healthy and he would help a lot overcome the loss of Z. Smith which would allow us to play Henry and Zieler more as fresh pass rushers.

I am happy enough with cutting Weddle, and if we don't get a great safety in the draft, I am fine with bringing him back.

Mosley - I am afraid we would be stuck with a Brandon Williams contract, where we would pay top LB dollars for a linebacker who's play would go downhill. 

41 minutes ago, Danand said:

Mosley - I am afraid we would be stuck with a Brandon Williams contract, where we would pay top LB dollars for a linebacker who's play would go downhill. 

In regards to the BWill contract, I think this off-season will be an important one to not give out any similar deals like that and get us out of the restructuring that we've been pushing downhill. Kind of like DeCosta wants a fresh start. 

Edit: I can't believe we're paying Brandon Williams $14M the next three seasons...

9 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

In regards to the BWill contract, I think this off-season will be an important one to not give out any similar deals like that and get us out of the restructuring that we've been pushing downhill. Kind of like DeCosta wants a fresh start. 

Edit: I can't believe we're paying Brandon Williams $14M the next three seasons...

Who was the other player we were considering paying during that year, and instead opted to pay Brandon Williams? Was it Rick Wagner?

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

The team isn't paying him 14 million for the next three seasons. It's only nine million. The cap number is that high because of restructures. And that's why restructures are bad to open up short-term cap space.

Harbaugh at Boyle's presser said the Ravens "Will have 2 Safeties in the Hall Of Fame". Obviously referring to Eric Weddle, and I gotta say....I think Weddle is a perfect example of a player who shouldn't be in the Hall Of Fame. Weddle had some good to great seasons, but he was never a defining player of his generation or someone I would call an elite standard at the position. When I think about our current and possibly future Hall Of Famers, Ogden, Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Ngata, Yanda, and Tucker. The difference between them and a guy like Weddle is truly striking, at least imo. All of them except for Suggs, were/are concerned the best in the league at their position or even the greatest of all time at their position. 

Weddle was considered the best safety in the league for 2 or 3 years, but that was while he was still in San Diego.  I think there's a reasonable chance he gets into the HOF, but he'll be waiting quite a few years if he does.  And by Harbaugh's measure we already have two safeties in the HOF - Ed Reed and Rod Woodson (who played as many seasons at FS for the Ravens as Weddle has).

Also Ngata is not getting into the HOF, and Tucker is going to need 10-15 more years of elite kicking to even start to consider it because of the perceived value of the position

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

our current and possibly future Hall Of Famers, Ogden, Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Ngata, Yanda, and Tucker. 

I think Yanda deserves to make it but his accolades are a bit light. 7x pro bowl and 2x all pro. It might be hard to make it with only 2 years all pro. 

8 hours ago, drd23 said:

Weddle was considered the best safety in the league for 2 or 3 years, but that was while he was still in San Diego.

He absolutely wasn't. His career is dwarfed by the safeties who came in through the early 2000s like Ed and Troy, as well as the holdovers from the 90s like Brian Dawkins and Darren Sharper. Even guys like Bob Sanders or Adrian Wilson had better seasons then him. Then in the later 2000s the new gen showed up and he was again no where near the top. Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Harrison Smith, Kam Chancellor, etc.

8 hours ago, drd23 said:

And by Harbaugh's measure we already have two safeties in the HOF - Ed Reed and Rod Woodson (who played as many seasons at FS for the Ravens as Weddle has).

In Harbaugh world that doesn't count apparently.

8 hours ago, drd23 said:

Also Ngata is not getting into the HOF, and Tucker is going to need 10-15 more years of elite kicking to even start to consider it because of the perceived value of the position

Ngata is 100% getting in. Both he and Vince Wilfork will be the NTs/Big Man DIs to get in from their generation. It will take a little bit for both, but they are rightfully incredibly respected and admired by their peers. Haloti is also the greatest Poly defensive lineman of all time, a legend. That goes a long way.

I don't disagree about the foundation Tucker is going to have to lay. It's an easy projection though.

Archived