Keenum trade talk

LoganF89

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Image result for Kirk Cousins gif

Cousins was my man once he proved he could be a starter. Let's be honest though, he put up impressive stats throwing to the best WR tandem in the NFL.

Last time I checked, Keenum took essentially the same Vikings roster to the NFCCG and Cousins cost the Vikings $23 million more last year than Keenum did two years ago.

Cousins w/ basically the same roster & a healthy Dalvin Cook, missed the playoffs last year. Third straight year a Cousins QB’d team had missed the playoffs.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Keenum: 

Comp%: 62

TD/INT: 64-42 (1844 attempts) 

QB Rating: 84.5 

Tannehill:

Comp%: 62.8

TD/INT: 123-75 (2911 attempts)

QB Rating: 87

Bortles: 

Comp%: 69

TD/INT: 103-75 (2632 attempts) 

QB Rating: 80.6

All fairly below average for today's NFL, which is what this franchise is famous for trotting out there under center since Snyder took over.  Keenum's completion percentage was 27th in the NFL last season, which matched his career rate.  He was tied for 2nd in interceptions thrown.  He was 29th in QB Rating (not ESPN's stat) which was again nearly in line with his career numbers.  

He was absolutely terrible last season despite having a great first year RB, a breakout performance from Courtland Sutton and a legit #1 receiver in Emmanuel Sanders for most of the season.  Just imagine what he's going to do in DC with a broken down Jordan Reed, Guice recovering from an ACL surgery and throwing towards the oft-injured, way overpaid  duo of Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson.  

Again, watch the tape. Keenum isn't a "great QB" by any stretch. But he is definitely better than Bortles and Tannehill. I think he is a good fit for Jay's offense. Do I expect much? Not really, but its better than mortgaging the future for an unknown (trading up or trading (a lot) for Rosen). I think this is a bargain bin deal and it is a low risk, low-medium reward type situation. We gave up the equivalent of a late 7th for a QB with starting QB experience (and an affordable contract (which we aren't exactly booming in funds)).

I really don't mind this deal. Of course I didn't mind the Alex Smith deal either (minus losing Kendall Fuller) and that has as many predicted blown up in our face.

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

Lol this trade does nothing to save Brice or Jay sbd doesn’t cost us anything significantly cap wise so I’m happy here’s to dumbo and Brice opening a Dunkin Donut franchise together 

They ruined my team now they have to ruin my coffee too?

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Cousins was my man once he proved he could be a starter. Let's be honest though, he put up impressive stats throwing to the best WR tandem in the NFL.

Last time I checked, Keenum took essentially the same Vikings roster to the NFCCG and Cousins cost the Vikings $23 million more last year than Keenum did two years ago.

Cousins w/ basically the same roster & a healthy Dalvin Cook, missed the playoffs last year. Third straight year a Cousins QB’d team had missed the playoffs.

Keenum had a running game. Cousins did not. Also a defense that played worse on 2018. Not to mention an OC that was fired, the OL coach died right before trainjng camp, and they had a hard time settling on the right combinations for starting OL. Also that "healthy" Cook only started 10 games (played in 11) and only got 631 yards.

Yeah, so by saying "basically the same" you mean Thielen and Diggs didnt change.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

giphy.gif?resize=353,260&ssl=1

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Keenum had a running game. Cousins did not. Also a defense that played worse on 2018. Not to mention an OC that was fired, the OL coach died right before trainjng camp, and they had a hard time settling on the right combinations for starting OL. Also that "healthy" Cook only started 10 games (played in 11) and only got 631 yards.

Yeah, so by saying "basically the same" you mean Thielen and Diggs didnt change.

Thanks for making my point.  

And while we are at it, Emmanuel Sanders was healthy for most of the year and is a legitimate #1 wide receiver,  Courtland Sutton had a breakout season and averaged nearly 17 YPC.  Phillip LIndsay rushed for over 1000 yards, added nearly 300 through the air and scored 10 times, and Royce Freeman added an additional 500 yards on the ground, yet Keenum was one of the worst starters in the NFL.  

So take away even those weapons and put in Guice (recovering from an ACL injury), an oft-injured Jordan Reed, and the always injured, overpaid duo of Doctson and Richardson.....Keenum is going to be just as bad, if not worse than he was in 2018.  

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Any thoughts on what this trade could mean on retaining Alex Smith beyond this year or just outright cutting him now? 

Although unlikely, one has to wonder if this means they have faith that Alex Smith will play again.  

Look, the deal is a one year contract.  We could jump to the conclusion that this means we aren't drafting a qb or trading for rosen.  So we get Keenum as a stop gap because there is still hope for Alex Smith and Bruce Allen is still all in on his Alex Smith trade.

My impression is that it was a good deal with good value for us.  But this does not make me one iota more excited about opening day.  It is probably a good move to insure what seems to be the goal of a middle of the road record.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Although unlikely, one has to wonder if this means they have faith that Alex Smith will play again.  

Look, the deal is a one year contract.  We could jump to the conclusion that this means we aren't drafting a qb or trading for rosen.  So we get Keenum as a stop gap because there is still hope for Alex Smith and Bruce Allen is still all in on his Alex Smith trade.

My impression is that it was a good deal with good value for us.  But this does not make me one iota more excited about opening day.  It is probably a good move to insure what seems to be the goal of a middle of the road record.

If they have faith that Smith will play again then they’re dumber than I originally thought. 

12 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

InsistentEqualAdamsstaghornedbeetle-smal

Hold on Della, there isn’t anything wrong with this. We got a body, cheaply, who will either start or backup preserving our future cap space when we cut Smith. It’s a good acquisition. Won’t impact our record in 19 either so with either of these guys and dumbo we are getting a top 10 pick Next year for our new coach and President  

THANK YOU for bringing my Della to full circle!

Archived