Vontaze Burfict facing five game suspension

Dome

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict is facing a five-game suspension for a hit against Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. ESPN was first to report the story.

Burfict is appealing the suspension, Rapoport added.Around The NFL will have more on this story soon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000835920/article/bengals-vontaze-burfict-facing-5game-suspension

23 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Seems a bit excessive.  I get that he's a habitual line stepper, but any other player in the NFL and that player isn't even suspended at all...

Meh, that's a pretty dirty and vicious hit. Your average player is probably getting a game for it. Given that he's already received a three-game suspension for an illegal hit as a repeat offender, it's kind of expected that his next run-in would lead to an increased suspension.

7 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Nothing special there.

Should definitely NOT be suspended.

I don't know how that's nothing special. He blindsides a guy and crushes him as the ball is thrown to a receiver that's what, 25 yards downfield from where the hit took place? That's not a normal play and it's definitely not a football play. Add in that it looks like a shoulder to the jaw and yeah, he's going to hear from the league.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I don't know how that's nothing special. He blindsides a guy and crushes him as the ball is thrown to a receiver that's what, 25 yards downfield from where the hit took place? That's not a normal play and it's definitely not a football play.

It's obviously a dirty play that should be punished, just not with a suspension.

Helmet to helmet hits are much more vicious and damaging and generally only warrant fines, so why should this lead to a suspension?

14 minutes ago, kramxel said:

It's obviously a dirty play that should be punished, just not with a suspension.

Helmet to helmet hits are much more vicious and damaging and generally only warrant fines, so why should this lead to a suspension?

It looks like a shoulder to the jaw. Beyond that, helmet to helmet hits usually occur as part of the play. They can certainly be more damaging, but at least you can argue that the defender is typically attempting to make a play on the ball or at least on the intended receiver.  Burfict is targeting a guy that is nowhere near the play. The ball has been out for two steps by the time Burfict is crushing Sherman.

He also once did virtually the same thing to Maxx Williams a couple years ago and got fined $50,000.

With that said, five games seems high. But Burfict has been fined eight times for illegal, on-field plays. He was suspended the first three games of 2016. If he continues to not get the message, he's really not leaving the NFL with much of a choice. He's been fined for hits in over 14% of the games he has played in the NFL. Which is pretty incredible.

Edit: And actually, looking back, all eight have been since 2013. So eight fines (now nine) in his last 42 games.

As a ravens fan, This seems a bit excessive but the dude is dirty as hell. Fines haven't worked and he already got suspended 3 games for it, seems only right to escalate it. 

Then again I'm biased so....He'll probably get a game knocked off or something. 

From the first angle I saw (real time game highlight)....it looked very much like helmet to helmet and targeting.

After seeing other angles (slow mo replays), it didnt look like a helmet to helmet hit at all.

I absolutely loathe Burfict, but if Im being objective,  this is really stupid.   I can understand calling the penalty in real time....but if they took just a minute to look at all the replays, they would see its not a punishable offense beyond what was called on the field.    

I'm not entirely sure what I think of this one. It doesn't seem particularly illegal (doesn't fit PI or illegal contact, but the defenseless player stuff is admittedly hard to keep track of.) But it was definitely an incredibly unnecessary hit (away from the play, Sherman clearly wasn't expecting it, and it served no purpose from a football perspective.) One of those things that strikes me as more dirty than illegal. I haven't seen specifics for what exactly they're talking about suspending him for. It's this hit, for sure, but what particular rule or policy did it break?

Just a really weird play though. It seems uncommon to see a defender take out a receiver running a route while the ball is in the air being thrown to a different target.

Archived