Vontaze Burfict facing five game suspension

Dome

9 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Not sure I can agree with this. Aren't cheap shots dirty by definition?

At least not in my eyes. Cheap shots are just unnessary while dirty plays are unnecessary and crossing line intending to cause injury. In simple terms, not all cheap shots are dirty while all dirty plays are cheap.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

At least not in my eyes. Cheap shots are just unnessary while dirty are unnecessary and crossing line intending to cause injury. In simple terms, not all cheap shots are dirty while all dirty plays are cheap.

Fair enough

12 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

At least not in my eyes. Cheap shots are just unnessary while dirty plays are unnecessary and crossing line intending to cause injury. In simple terms, not all cheap shots are dirty while all dirty plays are cheap.

There was no football intent there...so that would be by definition a dirty play.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Key part of that sentence is "to cause injury".

I'm not sure you really need to differentiate there.  Was there a football play there?  No.  Could it have hurt the opposing player?  Absolutely.  By definition, that's a dirty play/cheap shot.  There was no reason to hit a defenseless receiver like Burfict did.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure you really need to differentiate there.  Was there a football play there?  No.  Could it have hurt the opposing player?  Absolutely.  By definition, that's a dirty play/cheap shot.  There was no reason to hit a defenseless receiver like Burfict did.

Exactly it being unnessary makes it a cheap shot to me but it didn't cross the line and its has long been a football play that has recently been outlawed. Could he have hurt somebody? Yeah. Was he intending to? I don't think so. Just like I don't consider a late hit on a QB dirty. I think it's cheap. But I can't be asked to get into a semantics argument 

It's a vicious and unnecessary hit that fits the pattern of him being a dirty player.  It was probably a legal hit, but that's the type of hit that was extremely unnecessary and that could do some major brain damage to the player on the receiving end.  Even though it looked like a legal hit (5 yards, shoulder to chest), he didn't have to de-cleat him and probably could have had the same effect on the play if he would have not de-cleated him.  His past history of getting away with like a dozen dirty cheap shots (twisting Greg Olsen's ankle and Cam Newton's ankle that I can remember) are the reason he's getting suspended, and he deserves it.  He has to quit going out there trying to injure people or quit playing the game. 

I hope he's suspended for five games so somebody as dirty as him, so somebody who purposefully tries to injure players like he does, doesn't get a chance to play the Packers. 

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Well, as a linebacker you're always taught to hit any crosser within 5 yards, so I'd say the intent was to end his route (which is perfectly legal).  The problem is the QB was already throwing the football, and given Burfict's history, it is hard to give him the benefit of the doubt anymore with anything that's toeing the line.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Cheap shot? Yeah. Dirty? No. Hence no suspension should be given. 

Vontaze Burfict should be given no benefit of the doubt.  You can call it a cheap shot or a dirty play, the wording does not matter.  He 100% should be suspended.

Archived