Bears sign Buster Skrine

beardown3231

2 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

3/21 with 10 guaranteed

So $7 mil AAV w/$10 mil gtd.  That was in line with what I though we might offer but if what we gave Skrine was also a template for Callahan's offer we were a $1.5 mil below that in both AAV and Gtd $$$.

Time will tell if we made the right decision or not and it's also possible Callahan wanted to keep on playing for Fangio and Donatell.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:27 PM, soulman said:

So $7 mil AAV w/$10 mil gtd.  That was in line with what I though we might offer but if what we gave Skrine was also a template for Callahan's offer we were a $1.5 mil below that in both AAV and Gtd $$$.

Time will tell if we made the right decision or not and it's also possible Callahan wanted to keep on playing for Fangio and Donatell.

It’s certsinly possible we offered him that same deal and he wanted to gauge his market more and we just moved on because we couldn’t risk coming away with nobody. 

On 2019-03-15 at 8:27 PM, soulman said:

Or the Bears did not want to assume the injury risk.

Say what you will about Skrine, but he doesn’t miss games.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I obviously haven't followed his career extremely closely, but Skrine seems like a solid player, to me. We should be pretty happy with him. And the Bears will have other options should he falter. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s certsinly possible we offered him that same deal and he wanted to gauge his market more and we just moved on because we couldn’t risk coming away with nobody. 

Yeah, we may have or he may also have preferred playing for Fangio and Donatell.  Could be either or and knowing Pace once he makes up his mind he makes his move quickly and Skrine was Plan B.  Pagano may actually have preferred Skrine as well.

48 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

And I think that's also a very real possibility.

Even if you load the deal with per game bonuses to protect yourself it's still frustrating to have a front line player miss as many games as Callahan has.

Skrine had some excellent years in Cleveland.  If in this defense he can recover some of that then we made another smart deal.

40 minutes ago, soulman said:

And I think that's also a very real possibility.

Even if you load the deal with per game bonuses to protect yourself it's still frustrating to have a front line player miss as many games as Callahan has.

Skrine had some excellent years in Cleveland.  If in this defense he can recover some of that then we made another smart deal.

Skrine doesn’t have to be pro bowl caliber. He just needs to not be a liability. I think that’s a standard he can probably meet. 

I definitely think callahan's injury history played a big part in this. yes, he was balling last year until he got hurt, and an above average player at that player is necessary in the playoffs. 

One of the defining characteristics of our two biggest signings, Buster and Ha-Ha, is availability. We had one of our best seasons in recent history last year because our overall injury list was one of the smaller ones in the entire league.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Yeah, we may have or he may also have preferred playing for Fangio and Donatell.  Could be either or and knowing Pace once he makes up his mind he makes his move quickly and Skrine was Plan B.  Pagano may actually have preferred Skrine as well.

Callahan is smart to follow Fangio to Denver bc  ..   he is nothing special and actually shined under Fangio Family for one season  ..  going to Denver is his best chance to stay in the league 

..  Elway continues to show his ineptness as GM for paying him that kind of $$  

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Pace never truly believed in Callahan..  I sure don't  ..   would take Skrine all day everyday over BC

7 hours ago, soulman said:

He also will get a sort of leadership role over there that he simply couldn't have had here. He knows Fangio and Donatell's defense, calls, adjustments, etc like the back of his hand. So they can rely on him to help "coach" the rest of the defense, defensive backs in particular, as they implement the new scheme. 

Here he was the 4th best DB at best, and that is if someone is ignoring his injury history and really looking at Amos' lack of playmaking ability. 

It is probably his only chance at being a team leader in any way, so he might have really desired that role. 

Archived