2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

13 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

I think it was the focus until all the top DEs got franchised. I would not want to pay top DE money to any of the available pass rushers. 

We don't have to pay top money to any of the guys left, most of them are veterans on the downside of their career. We need to add a veteran edge before the draft. Do you really want to go into the season with 2 rookies and Arden Key as our only pass rush?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We don't have to pay top money to any of the guys left, most of them are veterans on the downside of their career. We need to add a veteran edge before the draft. Do you really want to go into the season with 2 rookies and Arden Key as our only pass rush?

Adrian Clayborn just released.  He could give us some help on the edges.  Should not cost a lot since he did not play well in NE.  From what I read it was more about scheme fit for him in NE.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Adrian Clayborn just released.  He could give us some help on the edges.  Should not cost a lot since he did not play well in NE.  From what I read it was more about scheme fit for him in NE.

Clayborn would be a decent rotational piece. We need to add a veteran edge that can start for a year or two though. Houston or Ziggy would make sense although I'm not sure we can afford to pay the asking price for either guy.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Clayborn would be a decent rotational piece. We need to add a veteran edge that can start for a year or two though. Houston or Ziggy would make sense although I'm not sure we can afford to pay the asking price for either guy.

I would take ball 3 if the price is right.  I do not know what Gruden and Mayock are thinking but we do not have enough picks currently in the first 3 rounds to fill out this defense and we are starting to run low on money.  I understand that they want to build the defense through the draft because rookies have a hard time with Gruden's offense but at this pace we will not have an average defense until 2020.  Next year will just be a shoot out every week.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I would take ball 3 if the price is right.  I do not know what Gruden and Mayock are thinking but we do not have enough picks currently in the first 3 rounds to fill out this defense and we are starting to run low on money.  I understand that they want to build the defense through the draft because rookies have a hard time with Gruden's offense but at this pace we will not have an average defense until 2020.  Next year will just be a shoot out every week.

4 picks in first two rounds all early and should be starters. If u grab a lb, de, and another need or bpa on defense thats a solid get. Even if we grab another cb ti pair with conley.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I like Gruden’s and Mayock’s plan for the offense in free agency so far which leads me to believe they have a plan in place for the defense through the draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roi34 said:

4 picks in first two rounds all early and should be starters. If u grab a lb, de, and another need or bpa on defense thats a solid get. Even if we grab another cb ti pair with conley.

Yes but we need a LB or 2 plus 3 DE and a CB.  We would have to hit on 4 rookies that can step in day one and be starters.  

1 minute ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I like Gruden’s and Mayock’s plan for the offense in free agency so far which leads me to believe they have a plan in place for the defense through the draft.

I am sure they have a plan but they are cutting it a little close and with out a couple decent DE signed in FA we are showing our hand in the draft already.  That will make it extra difficult to pull off what ever plan they have.  The plan could be that we are not going to be good til 2020 and just want to be fun to watch in 2019.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am sure they have a plan but they are cutting it a little close and with out a couple decent DE signed in FA we are showing our hand in the draft already.  That will make it extra difficult to pull off what ever plan they have.  The plan could be that we are not going to be good til 2020 and just want to be fun to watch in 2019.

It's not that serious!

• Like 2

I think the plan was to build our offense with long term pieces through FA "Guys we can take to Vegas", then pick up a few stop gaps on defense and build that side through the draft.

Gruden's comments about the WR Corp, and the Jordy Nelson release lead me to believe we will be looking to add a WR in our first 4 picks.

We need a minimum of 2 FA Vets at DE, id like to see Justin Houston, and a Frostee Rucker type. Then wed have Houston, Key, Vet, 1st Rounder, not too bad, but it would get us to next year.

I don't know why this franchise doesn't like LBs, but we desperately need a captain in the middle of this defense to build the unit around. Not even a superstar, just a steadying influence that brings stability(Nick Roach would have been perfect)

Id love to bring Isaiah Crowell in, he is a very talented back that would work well in a committee with Richard and possibly Warren. (Wheatley, Garner, Crockett LIght) lol

The longer Jared Cook remains un-signed, the more affordable he becomes. I think we should definitely bring him back, he's built some nice chemistry with Carr and would take advantage of AB getting doubled.

Houston, Vet DE, Jared Cook, Isaiah Crowell, then get ready to kill the draft.

57 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

this is my concern

It's not like there were any great free agent available on the defensive side. All the good pass rushers predictably were re-signed or franchise tagged. There were no good linebackers without paying ridiculous amounts. 

Getting a AB Per mayok changed the approach to free agency. Did Ifans was always going to need to be built through the draft, No other way around it

• Like 1