Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets for real this time

49erurtaza

I also saw it pointed out on the NY tax rates vs PA tax rates Bell effectively picked a 2-year $21 mil deal with NYJ over a 3-year $42 mil deal with the Steelers. And that’s where the outs on both contracts existed.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

People who say Bell 'lost' are flat out wrong.

I don't think this is a situation where by default one party has to lose. The Steelers obviously didn't want to pay Bell any long term money, and they didn't. They got what they wanted. Bell wanted to be set for life, and he is. He got what he wanted.

32 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The people who are comparing what he might have had if he played well to what he ended up with are intentionally ignoring the risk that Bell would have to bet on staying healthy. Bell had made a total of $15MM in his career before he sat out, which is obviously a lot of money but isn't "my dozen grandkids are all going to private schools and Ivy leagues" money.

Bell got $35MM guaranteed, virtually risk free. His total maximum earnings are likely smaller than if he had played the year, then hit free agency, but he would have risked getting only the franchise tag money and that's it. Had he signed an extension with the Steelers and been the best RB in football for all 5 years, he would have made more, but then he risks getting only $10MM guaranteed, even less than the franchise tag. 

Bell is basically coming up on retirement, and this was the NFL player equivalent to moving your investments from mutual funds to bonds. You lower the maximum return, but you eliminate the risk.

Spot on.

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

His holdout was for long term security or are you just deciding not to think about that?

And are you just deciding to forget that the Steelers offered him a long term contract?

3 minutes ago, kramxel said:

And are you just deciding to forget that the Steelers offered him a long term contract?

I think so.  It's coming out today that the Steelers offer locked in 2 years $33mil.  Had a 3rd year that locked in with his roster bonus at $45mil.

JLC (yea yea I know) said he's suspecting this deal as a 2 year out at $26mil.

So people can say that he lost out on $14.5mil for not playing on the tag.  Well if the JCL report comes true, and he signed the deal on the table he lost out on $19mil over a 3 year span from 2018 offseason - 2020 offseason by waiting.

And I'll say: a lot of people seem to not understand how the Steelers structure contracts.  The Rooney's are not a cash rich ownership group.  So their contracts tend to have 'locking guarantees' in them.  Like we know with the Bell contract at worse was a 2 year deal, well that's because it was written with a roster bonus to be paid in 2019 that was guaranteed, and when he got it the salary became guaranteed.  They did a same thing with year 3, but didn't guarantee the roster bonus.  The Steelers often do contracts like that to guarantee money without having to make a big payment upfront.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Are you forgetting the amount of gtd money along with them not promising to not franchise tag him again?

So he holds out, looses a year worth of contract or franchise tag, and ends up signing a similar contract he was offered, with another team.

I honestly don't see the benefit.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Because you’re not looking. 

Bell has earned around 16M in his career, if he had signed the tag last year he would have earned an extra 14,5M.

If he had signed that Steelers' contract he would have 33M guaranteed.

He held out and skiped on 14,5M, to get an extra 2M guaranteed.

That's bad business anyway you spin it.

Just now, kramxel said:

Bell has earned around 16M in his career, if he had signed the tag last year he would have earned an extra 14,5M.

If he had signed that Steelers' contract he would have 33M guaranteed.

He held out and skiped on 14,5M, to get an extra 2M guaranteed.

That's bad business anyway you spin it.

If he played on the franchise tag and got a career injury = 14 mil

He got 35 mil 

Steelers offer was 10 mil guaranteed, the 33 mil wasn't FULLY guaranteed.

Basically = In Leveon mind it's...If I get hurt, how much money can I get.

3 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

If he played on the franchise tag and got a career injury = 14 mil

He got 35 mil 

Steelers offer was 10 mil guaranteed, the 33 mil wasn't FULLY guaranteed.

Basically = In Leveon mind it's...If I get hurt, how much money can I get.

Based on how the proposed contract was laid out.....yes he was getting $33mil.

Archived