Worst Case Scenario at 12:

PossibleCabbage

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At 12?  No.  At 30?  Possibly.  Still not totally sure what Pettine wants in his safeties.  Last year was not the best idea to make any concrete opinions on it IMO.  What say you @AlexGreen#20?  @rcon14?

So they brought in Amos immediately. Apparently Pettine likes what he does. So apparently we have some what of an idea now, compared to him inheriting Capers crew. CM3 was not an exact fit either (maybe PED CM3 could have done it) but we now know what he is looking for with the smiths.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

At 12?  No.  At 30?  Possibly.  Still not totally sure what Pettine wants in his safeties.  Last year was not the best idea to make any concrete opinions on it IMO.  What say you @AlexGreen#20?  @rcon14?

I'm guessing guys like Jim Leonard who can hit hard, tackle, and blitz well. Think we got that with Amos. I could be wrong, but thats why they started Brice over Jones, though they are kind of the same player tbh.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Played a lot of 3 safety dime looks. Way more than standard alignments would dictate.

Ran a lot more C2 out of that than I'm sure any Packer fan can remember. Even late stage Capers didn't play as conservatively as that on the back end.

We tended to see one box safety (Jones) one alley safety (Brice) and one deep safety (HHCD/Williams).

Out of your box safety you're looking for ILB qualities. Our heavy front line will keep them cleaner than most, but they better be able to read and react because they're occasionally being asked to handle edge contain duties when formational strengths shift. Physicality is another key here. As far as coverage, they're generally 3rd read zone guys, though might occasionally be asked to run with a TE.

the alley safety had a few of the same requirements as the box safety, but less read and react and more the ability to open field tackle and take good angles. He'll play on the back end but usually in the C2 looks that are less demanding. Often he's the guy being asked to sell the defenses misdirection and blitz. From a coverage perspective, it's a lot of the same. Needs to be more aware of the offensive concepts because he's more likely to play the 1st or 2nd read out of a bunch.

High safety is high safety. Don't get beat deep. Show the range, be able to regularly play the 2nd read.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Where would you pencil in Amos?

Wherever the rest of the JAGs look the least comfortable. Probably as the high safety, not because I think it's his best spot, but because you almost have to bank on Jones being able to play the box safety and it's a lot easier to play that alley safety than it is to play the high safety. And also a lot less damning if they screw it up.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wherever the rest of the JAGs look the least comfortable. Probably as the high safety, not because I think it's his best spot, but because you almost have to bank on Jones being able to play the box safety and it's a lot easier to play that alley safety than it is to play the high safety. And also a lot less damning if they screw it up.

Kinda trying to figure out if I prefer Adderly or CGJ more.  I feel like CGJ fits that "alley" mold and Adderly is more the high safety mold.  Kinda feel like Amos is better as the alley safety than a high safety.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Kinda trying to figure out if I prefer Adderly or CGJ more.  I feel like CGJ fits that "alley" mold and Adderly is more the high safety mold.  Kinda feel like Amos is better as the alley safety than a high safety.

Don't disagree with anything you're saying, though CGJ definitely is a versatile piece. I could see the staff really liking that considering the current roster construction.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Don't disagree with anything you're saying, though CGJ definitely is a versatile piece. I could see the staff really liking that considering the current roster construction.

Agreed.  The problem is I see Amos as a better alley safety than high safety, and I'd argue that alley safety is an easier position to fill.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm a fan of Adderly because we all know what a guy like Earl Thomas or Nick Collins can do for a defense, and Adderly is that type of safety.  Not saying he'll for sure be as good as either of those two, but that's the mold he fits.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Good commentary on the position - thanks - but you're losing me a bit on the differences between alley and high safety........
I'm thinking the alley and box responsibilities are similar (?) i.e. have an area of coverage - versus the high guy that has to play centerfield?

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'd rather put Amos in his best spot, and let TWill, DP, or FA take the high safety. You're right though, Jones doesn't belong there at all.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Good commentary on the position - thanks - but you're losing me a bit on the differences between alley and high safety........
I'm thinking the alley and box responsibilities are similar (?) i.e. have an area of coverage - versus the high guy that has to play centerfield?

The alley safety is the one who plays down in C1/C3 and up in C2/C6.

Often he's lined up in the "wrong"spot at the snap to confuse the QB and has to run forwards or backwards down the "alley" at the snap.

Archived