A Philosophical Examination of the Sport Mind (Buncha Jerks Cost Us Rings)

incognito_man

6 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Of all that went wrong that day, Rodgers' mistakes are pretty low. He barely finished the last game and couldn't move around. What kind of slack do you cut him???? Did you ever see any GOAT play through that in playoffs? Even Favre? Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Read the bolded parts above. Whenever we played Seattle, guys were rarely open. Rodgers absolutely was gimpy if you remember the previous game. I didn't think he would play or at least would be really bad. But NO, he MUST BE GOAT through all injuries. No cutting him slack.

But a larger point was that it was clear that our receivers had difficulty getting open in playoffs beginning in 2009 (see last play). They didn't start addressing that until last year really. In 2014 Cobb had already lost a step. Rodgers has the some of the smallest windows in the NFL. And they didn't address speed til the 2018 (Gute) draft outside 7th rounders.

No one disputes Rodgers has the best tools of anyone to play the game. I know he has serious, maybe unfixable problems. 

Also, I am not one who thinks any QB can win a Superbowl on his own. Gimpy Rodgers had the team up 16. And the defense was lights out playing a shut out, most the game.

Special teams coach alone opened the door for Seattle to win. Was he gimpy too? That bone headed playcall was all she wrote. Seattle couldn't get it going til the 57th minute. It was a series of unforced errors later beginning with Burnett's forgivable but mistaken slide, followed by run out the clock mode and Bostick, the game wrecker, etc....

Rodgers actually took it to overtime but you blame him for not putting Seattle away. It was not a GOAT game. It was a great game by any gimpy QB on the road against great D with the most dreadful special teams coach in the league. Boneheaded stubborn MM lost that game before the coin was flipped. No accountability for special teams coaches or players at all led to losing a ring. He had a stacked roster....never again. Attrition and no accountability since.

Anyways, even GOATS can be off but come out victorious. And they can't carry you. Favre got  us to the playoffs many years we had no business being there and he couldn't  carry the team on his back once  in. ARs deficiencies in playoffs are much preferable to Favre's imo. Lucky to have them. They are not gods and shouldn't be treated as such. I neither blame not praise them too high except for what THEY CAN CONTROL. 

Likewise, MM who failed in Seattle BIG TIME. 

AR has the highest post season rating all time. It's an absurd discussion. Not every game is on the QB, a recipe for disaster, which we've endured since 2015.

1. That take on Cobb is all that I need to know to see where you're coming from with this. Randall Cobb was 24 ******* years old in 2014. He had already lost a step?????? Are you kidding me???? He had 91 catches for 1287 yards and 12 TDs that year. You are out of your god damn mind. You're not even talking with facts at this point, that's how deep into your feelings you are on this issue.

2. Rodgess had a strained calf muscle, either a heavy grade 1 or a light grade 2 that he suffered a week ago. With the drugs NFL players are given, that should barely have been on his radar. Phillip Rivers played an entire half of football with a torn ACL in the playoffs. Of course Rodgers gets some slack, but he doesn't get upgraded to "Amazing" (your word) from a 56 passer rating.

3. Rodgers did not have the team up 16. The running game and the defense had the team up 16. There was one 1 56 yard TD drive that lead to points that was not credited to the D or ST. Then in the second half Rodgers had 65 passing yards. Tell me how Rodgers was responsible for so many great things happening????  

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The game was coached well enough to win, special teams screwed the pooch.

Also, the game was not coached all that well from a decision making process, specifically in the first half on those calls and the decision not to go for it.  Both things are true.

To lay the sole blame there on MM is disingenuous at best by the author.  But it is possible that this was the fracturing/dividing point between MM/AR.

Rodgers needs to look in the damn mirror if that was the game that broke that relationship. Both were awful. 

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Many stories are opinions of Jennings, Finley, and other disgruntled former packers.

Packers who didn't jive well with Rodgers and didn't get along with the team overall.  Everyone needs an explanation to rationalize their decisions and actions after the fact.

And while I don't disagree, don't you think there sure are a lot of disgruntled former Packers out here looking to get their words in? Maybe I'm just missing them because I don't follow the teams all that closely, but nobody's up here going out of their way to embarrass Brees, Manning, Rivers, or Brady. There's a few people out on Roethlisberger, but it's also looking like a lot of that was justified as well. 

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

of course he's disgruntled.  He's frustrated he got hurt and couldn't continue his career.  He's frustrated he never got the fame and attention that he craved under Rodgers.

At best, Finley is an unreliable source since that's what he was his entire career - a dumb guy who fumbles to express his opinions.  He also often is wildly uninformed on topics which he speaks on.

Marcedes lewis is not disgruntled.  You're referring to that interview?  Doesn't seem disgruntled to me.  That seemed aware and valid.

Seems a lot more like "a dumb guy who fumbles to express his opinions" than "He's frustrated he never got the fame and attention that he craved under Rodgers." I think it's reaching a bit when we all call Finley disgruntled like he is pissed at Aaron. The fame thing just seems pulled out of your *** but I can see how it's possible. I just think it's dumb that Fin is lumped in with Greg, doesn't seem the same. But he says "bad" stuff so he's just angry. There's no way anyone who's "disgruntled" would tell the truth...

It goes like this: Cobb, Jordy, James, if they say stuff you like, oh SEE WHAT THEY SAY IS TRUTH. YOU HAVE TO TAKE THEM AT THEIR WORD

But if it's NOT what you want to hear: Shame shame shame, Greg is bad, he likes money. Finley is dumb and is mad that Aaron got all the glory!!! YOU CAN'T TAKE THEM AT THEIR WORD.

Then we ignore **** like when Lewis said Aaron was being a turd last year no matter how much I have brought it up the last few days. It just doesn't count, but there's no way to excuse it. 

Just now, Norm said:

Then we ignore **** like when Lewis said Aaron was being a turd last year no matter how much I have brought it up the last few days. It just doesn't count, but there's no way to excuse it. 

I think the context of what lewis was saying was more that the rodgers/mm thing was broken.   I see that as weird, uncomfortable, unusual, yes.  But i don't see his comments as being anti-rodgers really as much as it was "this is clearly dysfunctional".  Which to me leaves it at some split between rodgers/mm like we have been saying for ages.  Was Rodgers right to do that in that way? No.  Did he deserve a more competent coach who wasn't too sensitive to give up control? Yes.

I'm comfortable dismissing what Fin has to say on topics more sophisticated than "I'm hungry" and "I'm tired".

The only person in that article who has little to nothing to gain/stand on is DuJuan Harris.  I believe every word he said.  James Jones values his relationship with Rodgers for media purposes, Crab/Jordy/Cobb are all personal friends, etc.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers needs to look in the damn mirror if that was the game that broke that relationship. Both were awful. 

I kind of get it from a "do I REALLY need to be the only way this team can win?" perspective.  Last straw kind of thinking.  I know I could have played better... but if mike was even competent on some of these decisions can we live through a mediocre game?

Just now, mikebpackfan said:

I don't understand why people put Lewis in the upset at Rodgers camp.  He was just honestly saying something that happened that surprised him.  No judgment.  Plus he re-signed with the Packers so he couldn't have been too angry.

Nobody is. He was very clear that he was pro Rodgers. But he also said some troubling things about how the team was running. 

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I kind of get it from a "do I REALLY need to be the only way this team can win?" perspective.  Last straw kind of thinking.  I know I could have played better... but if mike was even competent on some of these decisions can we live through a mediocre game?

Except it wasn't a mediocre game. It was a pretty awful game. 

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

How come we don't often hear this refrain when describing Favre's time in GB?  How come we didn't win more back then?  Could it have been because of who were the HCs at that time too?

Mediocre coaching, also and similar to this squad recently,  we had some mediocre rosters elevated by great QB play with an inflated record (the North/central was pretty bad division with  an occasional good Viking/Bear team/Tampa before they moved)

During Favre’s time, I’d  say there were only 5 teams that were really high end top 1-5 teams with a chance at a super bowl  (95/96, 97,  01 and 07... maybe 02 but that squash got hammered mid season with injuries which carried into the Vick debacle  The 2005 tear down to get rid of old players, accumulate picks, and develop youth was very necessary.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Except it wasn't a mediocre game. It was a pretty awful game. 

we're like 3 dreams too deep in inception right now, but maybe it's mediocre from aaron's POV since that TD on the offsides counts in his head.

17 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I don't understand why people put Lewis in the upset at Rodgers camp.  He was just honestly saying something that happened that surprised him.  No judgment.  Plus he re-signed with the Packers so he couldn't have been too angry.

I'm not putting him in there, that's the point. He basically said Rodgers told mike to get ****ed. I'm not saying that makes him a monster but it's not okay either. And he's NOT in that group of angry people with an ax to grind. If you saw me doing that, I was being sarcastic. I'm trying to make the point that there's a guy on the team who was like damn, Rodgers told mike to go eff himself. That insubordination. Maybe Mike sucks but that still sits wrong with me.

Archived