A Philosophical Examination of the Sport Mind (Buncha Jerks Cost Us Rings)

incognito_man

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Do the people wanting to part ways with Rodgers realize "Aaron Rodgers is kind of an *******" is precisely why he is so good at football?

Like find me an "elite QB" who is a normal, decent, well adjusted person.  I dare you.

Starr, Montana, Unitas, Fouts, Derek Carr(who gets a bad rap because of the mess around him), Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning(post-Tennessee)... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spilltray said:

For me personally my biggest problem with McCarthy was his unwillingness to change. From updating his schemes to his loyalty to coaches that were clearly in over their heads, he refused to make changes. Even when pressed into firing Capers, he kept the rest of the defensive staff and not much really changed. For me I see DBs looking consistently lost since Woodson left makes me really question Whitt and Perry. He kept trying to find a spot for Edgar Bennett to try and make him an OC, and just in general. It seemed he didn't want to admit the problem might have come from the coaching/management end on a fundamental level.

I can agree with that first half, but I don't buy that he didn't put together a good staff. What's sad is that Dom put together a decent staff of coaches, the problem was the scheme from 2011 on. I think these are areas in which not having an owner hurts us because if we had an owner, you recognize the consistent problem and eliminate it, you don't take a vote, you don't hope the problem goes away or the situation improves by masking it by strengthening other areas like the Colts did in the 2000's with their defense.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Starr, Montana, Unitas, Fouts, Derek Carr(who gets a bad rap because of the mess around him), Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning(post-Tennessee)... 

Fouts as in Dan Fouts?

"Dan Fouts ... used to wear a hat around the Chargers facility that said “MFIC” on it, which stood for Mother F-cker in Charge."

Good read below about all the "choirboy" QBs who've succeeded in the NFL.

https://footballfilmroom.com/2015/03/24/why-are-teams-concerned-with-mariotas-personality/

Also like this tidbit about Manning: "Peyton Manning is known for his command of the entire offense, both in practice and during games. He isn’t afraid to yell at other players and assistant coaches in order to hold them accountable for mental mistakes. He’s in charge and everyone knows it (Just ask Colts center Jeff Saturday, who got into a classic shouting match on the sidelines with him back in 2005). 

• Like 1

Has this really been a philosophical examination of the sport mind? I think it's probably once again devolved into an argument between those who think Rodgers has played a part in the overall team dysfunction, and those who think he hasn't and shouldn't carry any blame whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Has this really been a philosophical examination of the sport mind? I think it's probably once again devolved into an argument between those who think Rodgers has played a part in the overall team dysfunction, and those who think he hasn't and shouldn't carry any blame whatsoever.

Blame to go around indeed.

But the real blame is squarely on Mac, TT, and Murphy. The last is still there. 

But the discontents who left are not better in my mind. Why didn't they do anything? Just backstabbing now.

Clearly, the good players that are gone support both MM and AR. So, it wasn't nearly as bad as they say. Mostly a HC, GM, CEO mess.

That and AR has put this team on his back many a time, even the first half of Last season before it got out of hand.

I do like LaFleur. Like his pedigree, love his demeanor, like how he seems to get on with coaches and players. Seems much less a drama queen and blowhard than Mac (and so many HCs for that matter).

We'll see.

Edited by JaireAlex

52 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Any amount of philosophical discussion of the sport mind ITT is a pleasant surprise :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

He can't be that disgruntled if he signed another contract with GB.

We kind of went over this. But I was being tongue in cheek. There's kind of been an idea that anyone who said there was issues was someone with an axe to grind, that kinda thing. But Marcedes said Aaron was insubordinate, more or less, and has obviously no reason to be mad at the organization. I was just trying to make the point that someone had been in the record who isn't bitter. 

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya Finley deleted it. Was basically talking **** to HaHa for calling him and Greg clowns/ full of it

That was nice of HaHa to stick up for us. But next time it would be nice if he did it in English. 

• Like 1