A Philosophical Examination of the Sport Mind (Buncha Jerks Cost Us Rings)

incognito_man

I have no idea why I spent my lunch hour catching up on this thread, but I did. I read what you all post out of respect for the forum, I guess.

But it occurred to me that it would be pretty funny to have reporters constantly interviewing all the people at our places of occupation and printing the responses. What if, heaven forbid, I accidentally told the truth about a colleague in a weak moment? Most of our workplaces would be a shambles of broken trust and backbiting if the ten percent of our grievances against others were reported instead of the ninety percent of positive takes.

Such is the world of the pro athlete. Most of them learn to step pretty carefully, but one reporter with an idea for a story can certainly damage relationships. If things were really as ugly as the article in question suggests, the beat reporters missed a huge story for the better part of a decade.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I have no idea why I spent my lunch hour catching up on this thread, but I did. I read what you all post out of respect for the forum, I guess.

But it occurred to me that it would be pretty funny to have reporters constantly interviewing all the people at our places of occupation and printing the responses. What if, heaven forbid, I accidentally told the truth about a colleague in a weak moment? Most of our workplaces would be a shambles of broken trust and backbiting if the ten percent of our grievances against others were reported instead of the ninety percent of positive takes.

Such is the world of the pro athlete. Most of them learn to step pretty carefully, but one reporter with an idea for a story can certainly damage relationships. If things were really as ugly as the article in question suggests, the beat reporters missed a huge story for the better part of a decade.

Very good take. 

Probably the best post in this entire thread

Makes me want to start up a company newspaper and sit back with my popcorn.

• Like 2

Yeah very apt.  I get along perfectly with my boss. Best I can really recall. I'd be fired if he knew all the negatives things in my head I've had about him just in the last 2 weeks lol. 

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, Burnett42 said:

When Rodgers was aloud to change plays?

Just to be clear because I have been pretty muddy with this Lewis stuff, I don't really have that much of an issue with what he was saying was happening. 

It wasn't a surprise. But the way I heard it anyways, Lewis was taken back by that. And dude's been around a long time. Felt like he was like wow, can't say I've ever seen anyone try and pull that at this level. 

I'm just an idiot with internet access so I don't have a clue if this ever goes on. But my feel from Lewis was that it wasn't something he'd ever experienced, which is why I took note of it, more or less. 

1 hour ago, Burnett42 said:

When Rodgers was aloud to change plays?

Peyton Manning did it all the time and was praised as a brilliant offensive mind but Rodgers does it and he’s recklessly insubordinate.  Can’t believe ppl are still feeding into this nonsense article. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Peyton Manning did it all the time and was praised as a brilliant offensive mind but Rodgers does it and he’s recklessly insubordinate.  Can’t believe ppl are still feeding into this nonsense article. 

A. Oh c'mon that's not the same thing that happened man.

B. I've been calling it bull**** since page one...

We're on a message board and sometimes I don't want to do work. So we're talking about it. I think that's okay and not giving it legs. We're not even talking about the content of the article right now as well.

Edited by Norm

"One time I really saw it for the first time, we were in the huddle. I guess McCarthy called in a play, and Aaron was kind of like, ‘Nah,’” Lewis said. “He gave a direction and a protection to the line, and went. It was a four-minute offense, he threw a 40-yard bomb for a completion. I’m like, ‘What’s really going on?’ I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.”

He'd never seen that before in his life. He's had some ****ty *** QBs but he's obviously seen audibles before. That's not what this is. He openly refused to run a play the head coach calls in. There's a difference between thinking this isn't a big deal and sticking your head in the sand and acting like this was normal. The only reason I'm still going on about it is because I'm amazed people still think it's normal...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Norm said:

"One time I really saw it for the first time, we were in the huddle. I guess McCarthy called in a play, and Aaron was kind of like, ‘Nah,’” Lewis said. “He gave a direction and a protection to the line, and went. It was a four-minute offense, he threw a 40-yard bomb for a completion. I’m like, ‘What’s really going on?’ I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.”

He'd never seen that before in his life. He's had some ****ty *** QBs but he's obviously seen audibles before. That's not what this is. He openly refused to run a play the head coach calls in. There's a difference between thinking this isn't a big deal and sticking your head in the sand and acting like this was normal. The only reason I'm still going on about it is because I'm amazed people still think it's normal...

Where do you draw the line as the difference tho?  If the QB comes up to the line, sees the defense and makes an audible knowing that play won’t work, that’s obviously okay.  But if the QB knows in advance that play won’t work and changes the play, that’s defying your coach?  So he should come to the line and go through the motions before audibling?  I’m not being a smartass here and I’m not sticking my head in the sand.  

Isn’t there a difference between defying someone out of spite and recognizing a bad call and doing something about it preemptively?  If he were doing this just to spite MM then of course that’s messed up but we don’t know the context. Either he has the freedom to run the offense or he doesn’t.  And the fact that he had to do this (and was successful according to Lewis), this reflects more poorly on MM.