A Philosophical Examination of the Sport Mind (Buncha Jerks Cost Us Rings)

incognito_man

Rodgers went nuclear and took this head on calling/proving it BS. Calling out Greg and Finley. Talked about himself being stubborn etc. Love it.

sure dosent sound like a guy who is afraid of conflict and had great things to say MM and Murphy. 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Where do you draw the line as the difference tho?  If the QB comes up to the line, sees the defense and makes an audible knowing that play won’t work, that’s obviously okay.  But if the QB knows in advance that play won’t work and changes the play, that’s defying your coach?  So he should come to the line and go through the motions before audibling?  I’m not being a smartass here and I’m not sticking my head in the sand.  

Isn’t there a difference between defying someone out of spite and recognizing a bad call and doing something about it preemptively?  If he were doing this just to spite MM then of course that’s messed up but we don’t know the context. Either he has the freedom to run the offense or he doesn’t.  And the fact that he had to do this (and was successful according to Lewis), this reflects more poorly on MM. 

If it isn't spiteful, then obviously I don't care. I guess when I heard it, and how he went on more about he know it was not if not when then also used the word dysfunction iirc. (I should have quoted it all) it read to me when he says "nah" it was more like screw you than "I know this will work this time Mike." And yeah it worked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It is got damn embarrassing that Ryan Tannehill and Andy Dalton have more fourth quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers. 

lol @ 4th quarter comebacks.  Just lol.

Stick to your lane. 

I'll be the electric fence to notify you when you move outside the realm of the hypothetical thought experiments of "Trade Rodgers cause possible reasons" and into the more reality and evidence based analysis.  Thinking you can use 4th quarter comebacks as a measure of anything other than how much a team spends playing from behind is silly.

• Like 4

It's not a perfect stat for sure

I can speak Cwood, so I'll try to speak Outpost.

This means - "this stat is misleading and I'm aware of it.  I'm possibly using this stat to willfully mislead you to a conclusion which is the exact opposite of what the proper statistic suggests"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'd be willing to bet they might be pretty close in opportunities, probably +/- 33%

Dalton has played in 78 games where his team was losing in the 4th q, Rodgers 67 over that same period.

I hate how none of you can get through that and look at the heart of what I posted. 

then don't sensationalize 400 words around 4th q comebacks and pretend they are important.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Norm said:

I won't quote all that but I mostly agree. I think Alex touched on this too but I was swimming this morning. I brought it up once here I think too. I don't at all feel like Finley is overall negative towards Aaron. Like I said I don't really think he should be lumped in with Greg. It feels different. He's given plenty of praise but has been honest when he felt like he was treated "fairly." I know that's ohh boohooohoo but I don't really think he's that bitter. He's just speaking about the way he felt. He's not very smart and everything but my impression is that it isn't near as spiteful as some people have made it out to be. That's what kinda bugs me. Attaching some agenda so we can write it off as bogus. Better with that with Greg but not as much with Finley

Finley is almost always still pro-Packers too.  Guy is cheering for his former team, he just isn't all lovey-dovey about Rodgers.  I don't recall him saying anything negative about any other players on the team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you're failing to appreciate the nuance that goes into route running at the NFL level.

An in route with a break specified at 4 yards that's broken at 5 yards is considered a wrong route by some. An in-route that's rounded rather than cut sharply is the wrong route. 

Even beyond that it's difficult, if you're supposed to take it vertical if you're on top of the CB and bring it back if you're even with him, who is the ultimate authority on that? A lot of times the receiver might think he's on top where the QB might think he's even.

Alright, so help me understand. How do you interpret what Finley is saying? 

Like, how do you interpret "he doesn't go by personality, he goes by what you do on the field" 

I feel like the 4th quarter comebacks thing is 100% tied to "Rodgers does not take risks with the football" a trait which reduces the chances of trailing late in the game.

Like Rogers is the all-time leader in touchdown: interception ratio, with 4.22 a whole touchdown per interception more than the guy in 2nd place- this is a good thing, but "willing to force a ball" is useful in certain "one drive to win" situations.

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I think everybody is taking what Finley said at face value, and I don't think that's fair.  He is not the most articulate person in the world, so him saying, "I had to run the right routes..." shouldn't be taken as he had to run the right routes.  I don't think it's as simple as that, and I think he's neglecting to add detail to that.  Nobody in the world would complain about their quarterback needing them to run the right routes. 

Take, for example, if Finley had said this instead, "I needed to run the most concise and precise routes to even be thrown to.  If I was open, but off on the route by a yard or by a blade of grass, Rodgers wouldn't throw me the ball." 

We've seen evidence of this being precisely the case.  I could probably find literally 20 plays where MVS was wide open by literally yards of separation where Rodgers was literally looking directly at him with a clean pocket where he didn't throw him the ball. 

Same thing with Jimmy Graham. 

It's not about running the right routes, it's about how meticulously the routes have to be run.  Not only that, but we know how particular Rodgers is about what receivers need to do when the play breaks down.  If anybody without Rodgers blinders watched him play last year and actually looked at the plays instead of the television broadcast, actually looked at the receivers running open, running backs being open in the flat or in the middle of the field and being completely neglected, they'd point towards Rodgers. 

This is a very real problem with Rodgers.  It is NOT Rodgers hate, it is not fabrication, it is not hyperbole. 

Aaron Rodgers refuses to pass to open receivers more often than any other top QB I have ever seen in my entire life. 

Think about it.  Just put aside your blind loyalty of Rodgers and think about it. 

When the game is on the line and a team needs a score to get back into it starting at their 20 yard line or such, how many times do you see Brees/Brady/Rivers/Roethlisberger or even Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford fail to move the ball?  They play gimme offense where they get into a rhythm and move down the field by taking whatever the defense gives them, not what they want to take.  This doesn't always turn into points, but every single good QB can start moving the ball when a score is imperative.  Now how many times do you watch Rodgers play when we direly need a score only for him to have a three and out or have the drive stall in our own territory? 

People like to blame luck or defense for Aaron's lack of fourth quarter comebacks.  Brees probably has more fourth quarter comebacks during the Saints crap defense days than Rodgers has in his career. 

Aaron Rodgers is tied for 75th in fourth quarter comebacks and people think that's luck or they pass it off as circumstance.  I'm sorry, but that's horse****. 

Active quarterbacks with more fourth quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers:

Ryan frucking Tannehill
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Russel Wilson
Derek Carr
Alex Smith
Joe Flacco
Andy frucking Dalton
Matthew Stafford
Philip Rivers
Matt Ryan
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

Y'all gotta stop acting like these people speaking out about Rodgers don't have a point because they do.  There is something missing from Aaron.  Whether that's leadership or being too persnickety, it is not luck that has Rodgers below Ryan Tannehill or Andy Dalton in fourth quarter comebacks. 

It is got damn embarrassing that Ryan Tannehill and Andy Dalton have more fourth quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers. 

I don't know how, after everything that's come out, after all the footage of Rodgers sucking and actively avoiding open players in 2018 and elements of this story that point directly to his problem with trusting receivers backed up by visual evidence hasn't opened people's eyes to this as more than myth.  This is not something steeped in Rodgers-hate mythos.  This is stuff that has repeated visual evidence to back up. 

Aaron Rodgers, for all his physical ability and ability to do things no other QB can do, cannot or will not do what Andy **********ing Dalton and Ryan **********ing Tannehill can and do. 

I am so got damn sick of being one of only like three people who see this as a fact, I am sick to got damn death of everybody defending Rodgers as if he poops huckleberries and rosemary.  He is an egotistical highly neurotic personality that makes things harder for himself by his inability to compromise or show any humility whatsoever.  Read that last sentence and see if it sounds familiar to you at all.  It literally sounds like me, so if you keep loving Rodgers, you're gonna have to admit you love me. 

JUST STOP! You are embarrassing yourself with your defense of Finley. Rodgers teams generally won so may not have been the opportunities and 4th quarter comebacks might be the most overrated stat in the history of stats. His defense has been GOD awful for this whole decade from 2010 - 2018. Often when he got them the lead in the 4th quarter they **** the bed and we lost. 

What's damned embarrassing is you making an *** of yourself trying to prove how right you are when you are so f'ing wrong. 

Fortunately, I don't love Rodgers but can appreciate greatness when I see it. I see it in Rogers, I see no similarities to you in that regard what so ever. Trying to compare yourself to him is more of a joke than anything I've read on the internet in a long, long, time.