Browns trade Cam Erving to Chiefs

Forge

Never liked Cam Erving.  He had/has the thinnest arms i've seen on a o-lineman, now you may think thats meaningless, but you can see when he plays how weak he is.  Dont think he spends any time in the weight room.

Hi chiefs fans...Browns fan here...my opinions tend to dissent from my fellow Browns fans in that their opinions often have extremity and certainty that mine don't have; for example, most on the Board and those that I know say they are certain that Cam is trash (extreme).

I'm of a different opinion that's more moderate.

Cam's final year at FSU, he played LT/RT and C.

His first year at the Browns he started off playing LG, C, and RG.

There were concerns that all of the positional switching so early in his career would hinder his development.

He suffered from strength and anchor issues at Center going up against 34 nose tackles in the afc north.

He's a very long athlete who's footwork got tangled with our OLs. His head was spinning at times with having to give others their OL assignments and his vision in blitz pick up was poor at times.

He played well in spots at Center despite what some of my fellow browns fans will say, but not enough where he looked like he had upside.

They moved him to LT then to RT and he seemed to settle in. Traits/tool-wise, he has elite balance and athleticism in his kick step and a nice long arm punch to keep the edge rusher at bay. His main problem is that he oversets, is too panicked at the initial chop step, and/or anchoring deep against strong rushers on their countermove.

He looked good in limited action in preseason against the saints, but also had 3 glaringly bad plays where he 1.)overset and got beat inside, 2.)underset and got beat outside, 3.) wiffed completely during a pull from LT position. Most of our fans remembered rhe 3 plays which confirmed their he's worthless" opinion.

He is not a waist bender and has elite athleticism and foot quickness of a LT. He is not the power player often used on the RT.

A lot of his issues were mental and/or having to deal with the bull rush.

After his struggles, I saw him as a nice developmental backup at LT due to athleticism, length, and intelligence coming out of college.

He hasn't put it together but I wouldn't bet against his talent. It would be best if he could focus in on one position and be able to play his finesse game on the outside as a backup LT with starter upside based on his raw skills if he continues to work at it and takes a jump.

Strength will be an issue for him. Most see prospects as trash or amazing. I see all of them as having goods and bads. Cam has his. Time will tell which wins out but I'm not certain either way given his unique journey and that this year was his first focusing on his true position: that of a tackle.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

The lack of Chief fans in this thread is noticeable. Which tells you how good Erving must be. They are usually the first group to defend every move KC makes.

I mean...it would be a little odd if another group spent more time arguing in favor of the Chiefs...

What you're describing is how fan bases work. And the post itself is against forum rules.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean...it would be a little odd if another group spent more time arguing in favor of the Chiefs...

What you're describing is how fan bases work. And the post itself is against forum rules.

I'm just playing man... was seeing where you were at lol. Your usually all over KC topics. 

24 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Hi chiefs fans...Browns fan here...my opinions tend to dissent from my fellow Browns fans in that their opinions are often have extremity and certainty that mine don't have; for example, most on the Board and those that I know say they are certain that Cam is trash (extreme).

I'm of a different opinion that's more moderate.

Cam's final year at FSU, he played LT/RT and C.

His first year at the Browns he started off playing LG, C, and RG.

There were concerns that all of the positional switching so early in his career would hinder his development.

He suffered from strength and anchor issues at Center going up against 34 nose tackles in the afc north.

He's a very long athlete who's footwork got tangled with our OLs. His head was spinning at times with having to give others their OL assignments and his vision in blitz pick up was poor at times.

He played well in spots at Center despite what some of my fellow browns fans will say, but not enough where he looked like he had upside.

They moved him to LT then to RT and he seemed to settle in. Traits/tool-wise, he has elite balance and athleticism in his kick step and a nice long arm punch to keep the edge rusher at bay. His main problem is that he oversets, is too panicked at the initial chop step, and/or anchoring deep against strong rushers on their countermove.

He looked good in limited action in preseason against the saints, but also had 3 glaringly bad plays where he 1.)overset and got beat inside, 2.)underset and got beat outside, 3.) wiffed completely during a pull from LT position. Most of our fans remembered rhe 3 plays which confirmed their he's worthless" opinion.

He is not a waist bender and has elite athleticism and foot quickness of a LT. He is not the power player often used on the RT.

A lot of his issues were mental and/or having to deal with the bull rush.

After his struggles, I saw him as a nice developmental backup at LT due to athleticism, length, and intelligence coming out of college.

He hasn't put it together but I wouldn't bet against his talent. It would be best if he could focus in on one position and be able to play his finesse game on the outside as a backup LT with starter upside based on his raw skills if he continues to work at it and takes a jump.

Strength will be an issue for him. Most see prospects as trash or amazing. I see all of them as having goods and bads. Cam has his. Time will tell which wins out but I'm not certain either way given his unique journey and that this year was his first focusing on his true position: that of a tackle.

Appreciate the more detailed insight. Even if yours is on the optimistic side, I'm sure some have been overly critical as well. Always how it goes.

If his primary asset is athleticism, he may be a better personnel fit for KC than he was in Cleveland. I don't know what kind of scheme or gameplan you guys are running these days, but we use a lot of screens, misdirection, etc., and very rarely go with straight power running, so that may play to his strengths over his weaknesses, then. I'm not sure where we'll put him on the line, though. He'll definitely be a backup, just a question of where he'll be primarily there.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I knew you had a short reply in you somewhere, I like it. ;)

d*** you...you set me up lol...you'll all pay for that after week 1 if Joe Haden balls out...

I'm going full encylcopedia on the forum...I'm sending trash posts and quoting everybody....

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

d*** you...you set me up lol...you'll all pay for that after week 1 if Joe Haden balls out...

I'm going full encylcopedia on the forum...I'm sending trash posts and quoting everybody....

giphy.gif

I'm sure he will ball out week one against a rookie qb on a young, still developing team.  Adrenaline and pride can do wonders. I still want to see him one on one with Coleman without safety tho...

We'll see if he can do it for a whole season.

If he can, he should have been doing it here for the last 3.

Either way, it's his fault.

Archived