Parenting Advice

kgarrett12486

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Wait, there's actually people out there that won't hold their baby because they think it will make them soft?

Or that they will get spoiled, yes. Completely ridiculous in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks I guess. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

One other bit of advise....they will put, everything, and I mean everything in their mouth and they have an incredible radar for finding things in various places that you didn't know were there. Critically important to keep a swept and vaccuumed home once they are crawling around lol. 

I broke out in solid laughter at work the other day, thinking about how absurd it is to actually pick up everything you can grab (not at all knowing what it is) and putting it in your mouth. I laughed for a solid 10 minutes, completely to myself.

12 hours ago, Forge said:
12 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Wait, there's actually people out there that won't hold their baby because they think it will make them soft?

Or that they will get spoiled, yes. Completely ridiculous in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks I guess. 

Obviously babies need held.  With our first kid, we could tell a noticeable difference in behavior after spending a weekend around his grandparents or other family.  We held him what we would call an appropriate amount - when feeding, soothing to sleep, playing, random cuddles throughout the day, etc.  But when our family was around, he was almost never set down.  The few days after that were always torture.  If we tried to set him down for 2 minutes to cook dinner, commence the wailing.  I think there's a balance to strike there.  Babies need held to develop that bond between baby and parent.  But they also need to learn how to sleep when not being held.

Now i would never say that holding them 24/7 makes them soft, but depending on the baby it could make you miserable.  You need to set them down at some point for your sanity, and it's better for you if they aren't crying when you do it.

Footnote: with our second kid (he's two months), it doesn't seem to matter how much he's held.  He sleeps well no matter what, so long as he's swaddled really tight.  It all comes down to getting to know your baby.  They're all different. 

No kids, but make sure they sleep on their back not the stomach. Get all their shots, and sleep in the crib by themselves. Alot of dad's like to let them sleep on there chest and there is always a threat of the parent rolling over.

Congrats on the baby.  Only advice I have is to dedicate time to her.  Mine's is six now, and I generally work 60-70 hours a week + I still spend more time than I should watching the Bengals.  Best thing I did is dedicate at least 20 minutes a day (even on my busy days) for daddy/daughter time.  Just spending that time dedicated to her (no phone/tv/iPad/laptop) helps our relationship greatly as she's growing up.  When I'm beat I just do an easy activity like coloring with her.  I'm sure I'm not the only one with a kid that's 6 going on 13, who talks back better than I did when I was young.  She listens much better when I actually make sure to hang out with her daily...

13 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Congrats on the baby.  Only advice I have is to dedicate time to her.  Mine's is six now, and I generally work 60-70 hours a week + I still spend more time than I should watching the Bengals.  Best thing I did is dedicate at least 20 minutes a day (even on my busy days) for daddy/daughter time.  Just spending that time dedicated to her (no phone/tv/iPad/laptop) helps our relationship greatly as she's growing up.  When I'm beat I just do an easy activity like coloring with her.  I'm sure I'm not the only one with a kid that's 6 going on 13, who talks back better than I did when I was young.  She listens much better when I actually make sure to hang out with her daily...

I do that to an extent too.  Although some days that dedicated time is spent doing the things i need to get done.  For example - yesterday i had to get on the roof to blow out the gutters.  My 4 year old had an assigned task of watching me, and running inside to tell mom if i fell off the roof.  He loved it.  (i think he wanted me to fall off actually)

In other words, i involve him in most of the things i do, even if it slows me down.  He learns in the process, and he we get to hang out.

And like you said, it usually helps with listening when i need him to do something.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I do that to an extent too.  Although some days that dedicated time is spent doing the things i need to get done.  For example - yesterday i had to get on the roof to blow out the gutters.  My 4 year old had an assigned task of watching me, and running inside to tell mom if i fell off the roof.  He loved it.  (i think he wanted me to fall off actually)

In other words, i involve him in most of the things i do, even if it slows me down.  He learns in the process, and he we get to hang out.

And like you said, it usually helps with listening when i need him to do something.

100% THIS.

We had a decent snow a year or so ago, so I took my 18 month old out in the snow (her cute little snow gear, boots, and even her own little snow shovel) and she "helped" daddy shovel the driveway. She had an absolute BLAST, and it took me a little longer, but it absolutely was a highlight of the month for both of us. Plus, we got to come inside where Mommy/my wife had a nice glass of hot chocolate waiting.

She even helps me "mow" the lawn (rides on my tractor the last few minutes I'm mowing), weed the garden (put weeds in a five gallon bucket), water the grass seed (here, stand by the seeds, watch me water them, hold the hose in a certain spot, I'll occasionally spray you and make you laugh), and wash the dishes (takes FOREVER but she loves putting her hands in the soapy water while I wash/dry the dishes).

Haven't really read any responses so if I'm repeating some stuff, I apologize. 

There are going to be nights where you literally get no sleep. Nights where you have to walk around with her in your arms for 2 hours until she falls asleep at 2 in the morning, put her down and in 20 seconds she's crying again. Just be patient man, enjoy it. And you and your wife need to figure out what works for you guys and realize that you guys know what's best for your kid. Don't let people try and tell you how to raise her. Cuz what worked for their kid, might not work for yours. 

Always be present. Especially when your daughter grows and she wakes up from a nap screaming Elmo! Elmo! sit on the couch with her and actually watch Sesame Street with her, or Mickey Mouse or whatever she wants to do, do it with her. Don't just turn something on and become absent. So many arguments I've had with my GF is because of the fact that to many times I see her get lost in her laptop and ignore everything around her. 

You a good dude, you're going to be a great dad, you'll figure it out. 

Archived