Parenting Advice

kgarrett12486

You are brave, asking random internet people for parenting advice.

My advice - don't follow the advice posted in here.  Every child is different, and what works for one kid has the opposite effect on the other.  You'll figure it out. :)

33 minutes ago, theJ said:

You are brave, asking random internet people for parenting advice.

My advice - don't follow the advice posted in here.  Every child is different, and what works for one kid has the opposite effect on the other.  You'll figure it out. :)

I came in to post this same thing.

Seriously though, it's not hard, love the kid and don't let them do heroin.

Most other things tend to work themselves out. 

But if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to give my opinion.

A few things I can think of:
- Be your own parent. You'll have friends and family members make comments here and there which is fine. Just make your own decision that you believe is best for your baby.
- Don't be afraid to go out and have fun with/without your baby.
- Let them explore and experiment, maybe consider building a sensory table when she is older.
- Most importantly, love your child.

Congratulations!

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hey guys, just had my 1st child born on Monday. Beautiful baby girl...

I thought this could be a good talking source for advice. Lord knows I'll need it lol...

I am the proud father of two beautiful little girls, who are growing quickly, my advice:

*Love them/be there for them. Some days are tough and you'll be tempted to just "survive and get them to nap/bed". Don't fall into this trap/mindset. Enjoy the time with them/the little things. They won't be small for long, they will grow out of things and move onto others, so enjoy these seasons, even when frustrating. You'll lose sleep, but you'll gain cuddle time and have the immense satisfaction of comforting an upset child.

*Hold them when they want held. They grow up FAST. Enjoy it while you can.

*Make sure you and your spouse are on the same page and are consistent in discipline. If you discipline for something, you have to EVERY SINGLE TIME or the kid will either get confused because of inconsistency or learn that they can/will get away with things. Loving discipline is crucial to raising a child.

*Being the father of a girl/girls is more amazing than I ever thought it could be/would be. I LOVE IT and wouldn't trade it for the world! I say this as your typical "man's man" (sports, meat, outside activities, etc.). 

Best wishes!

Congrats @kgarrett12486

It's definitely a new world. I had my first ten months ago. As others have said, it's kind of a learn on the job sort of thing and it's different for every child. General advice: 

1. Hold them. Don't be that parent who thinks holding him/her when they cry is going to make them soft or something like that. You are building trust with your child, and holding them and being there for them is a big part of that. They are going to take  up a lot of your time, but that time is going to go fast as well. 

2. When they start getting mobile, be prepared to be stressed, and remember that bumps and bruises happen. Some are obviously more serious than others, but it's going to happen. I 've been fortunate that nothing that has happened with us so far has resulted in serious injury, but in the last 10 months, a few of the things that happened: When he was about a month old, I was carrying him down stairs, slipped, and ended up falling down the stairs from top to bottom. Probably the most scared I've ever been in my life. He was fine. When he was about 5 and a half months old, he decided that the first time he would stand up on his own would be in his crib after waking up (without crying). We had yet to move the crib down (as he hadn't stood up yet), and he ended up falling out of the crib over the railing. He was fine  after after freaking out. I realize that nothing I say is going to help you when something does happen, but prepare yourself. Stuff will happen. 

Sell early. They lose value as they get older.

If you plan on keeping her, here's what I've figured out having 2 girls that are now 16 and 12.

They're smarter than you'll want to give them credit for. Be real and honest when you talk to them. Make sure you talk to her is a big part. 

Never allow her to feel like she's "just a girl". Let her know that she can do anything, but make sure you're showing her she can. If she like science and math, support that. I could always change. My 12yr old reads comics, is in STEM club, plays volleyball and runs track, is in the advanced math class, but still wears a dress to school once a week. My 16yr old will hold her own in the front at a punk concert, but has the artistic side and wants to be a photographer. Their vision of their future is going to change as they get older, go with it.

As she gets older, don't be grossed out by womanly things, and don't let conversations about it be awkward (even though they will be). If she feels she can talk to you about those things, she trust you, and she'll feel she can talk to you about pretty much anything.

Have fun with her, and do things together. Don't be afraid to look stupid to the outside world while doing it either. 

Most importantly..... Don't kick the baby.

I just got my 2nd daughter last week as well. I can tell already that when they say "one is like one and two is like ten" it's not just something to say. So enjoy the calm that comes with one little one at home while you can (if you plan on having more). Also, congrats on the daughter, you'll learn to appreciate the early years because little boys are nuts. I'm thankful for my toddler girl everytime I hang out with my toddler nephews...

One other bit of advise....they will put, everything, and I mean everything in their mouth and they have an incredible radar for finding things in various places that you didn't know were there. Critically important to keep a swept and vaccuumed home once they are crawling around lol. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Congrats @kgarrett12486

It's definitely a new world. I had my first ten months ago. As others have said, it's kind of a learn on the job sort of thing and it's different for every child. General advice: 

1. Hold them. Don't be that parent who thinks holding him/her when they cry is going to make them soft or something like that. You are building trust with your child, and holding them and being there for them is a big part of that. They are going to take  up a lot of your time, but that time is going to go fast as well. 

2. When they start getting mobile, be prepared to be stressed, and remember that bumps and bruises happen. Some are obviously more serious than others, but it's going to happen. I 've been fortunate that nothing that has happened with us so far has resulted in serious injury, but in the last 10 months, a few of the things that happened: When he was about a month old, I was carrying him down stairs, slipped, and ended up falling down the stairs from top to bottom. Probably the most scared I've ever been in my life. He was fine. When he was about 5 and a half months old, he decided that the first time he would stand up on his own would be in his crib after waking up (without crying). We had yet to move the crib down (as he hadn't stood up yet), and he ended up falling out of the crib over the railing. He was fine  after after freaking out. I realize that nothing I say is going to help you when something does happen, but prepare yourself. Stuff will happen. 

Wait, there's actually people out there that won't hold their baby because they think it will make them soft?

Archived