Robbie Gould request trade

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I see no reason to play hardball with him or make him sit out the season. Dude lives in Chicago, wants to play there and be close to his family. He's 36, not a big deal. Go out, sign Bryant, let Gould have his wish. It can build up some equity with other players showing that we aren't pricks. Especially if you're able to trade him and get a late round pick or something for him. Who cares? There's really no reason whatsoever to play hardball here. Try to convince him to stay, but otherwise, just let it go. 

Yes. Just move on like I mentioned a while ago. :)

Gould isn't even worth petty revenge. 

Lynch and Shanahan seem pretty adamant that he will be kicking for us this year even if that means he is playing on the franchise tag. Gould, from everything I have seen and read, is a great teammate and I don’t think he would put the team in a bad position or act petty. If I was the 49ers management I would grant him permission to seek a trade and if we are able to get decent value (perhaps a future pick from CHI) then I’d let him go out of respect. I don’t think I would just cut one of the most productive kickers in the last couple of years out of respect though. What it comes down to for me is that he was coming off of getting cut from the bears and he was not a real high priority after the Giants let him go and we gave him an opportunity to get his career back on track. I don’t think we really owe him anything.

Let his agent work out a trade, and if he cant find one then keep him.  Sign an udfa or spend a 6th/7th on someone and leave it at that. 

I get Gould wants to play in Chicago but like N4L said they cant offer a thing, are there other teams he'd go to? Seattle? Minnesota? Cleveland? Washington? If he only wants to play for Chicago, and they cant offer a thing, i'm sorry bro you're playing on the tag or not at all.

11 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Let his agent work out a trade, and if he cant find one then keep him.  Sign an udfa or spend a 6th/7th on someone and leave it at that. 

I get Gould wants to play in Chicago but like N4L said they cant offer a thing, are there other teams he'd go to? Seattle? Minnesota? Cleveland? Washington? If he only wants to play for Chicago, and they cant offer a thing, i'm sorry bro you're playing on the tag or not at all.

I get that his family is still in chicago but why go back to the team that kicked you to the curb a few years back? but now they want you back because not only have you been the hottest kicker the past two years but also because they were one kick away from winning a playoff game. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I get that his family is still in chicago but why go back to the team that kicked you to the curb a few years back? but now they want you back because not only have you been the hottest kicker the past two years but also because they were one kick away from winning a playoff game. 

This yearning to go back to Chicago is baffling to me. Like you said, they showed him the door. Now that he's gotten so good, if they want him back, they need to give us something for him. We shouldn't make a habit of granting players what they want when they hold out. It's a business that happens to be a sport.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This yearning to go back to Chicago is baffling to me. Like you said, they showed him the door. Now that he's gotten so good, if they want him back, they need to give us something for him. We shouldn't make a habit of granting players what they want when they hold out. It's a business that happens to be a sport.

I think it's just a family situation thing. He has two boys, and probably wants to be closer to help take care of them. So he's trying to essentially have the perfect situation for himself. Also, maybe he left on good terms with Chicago, even if they got rid of him.

He had been negotiating for months for a long term deal, but the 49ers wouldn't budge. With his family situation, I can understand being frustrated. If he is so valuable, why not just sign him long term? For me it should have been that or just get rid of him. Would have avoided this drama.

But yeah, it's a business. The 49ers shouldn't just cave. They need to get something back if they trade him. I'm thinking Gould just retires if he doesn't get his wish. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He loves the city. 

“You can travel all over the place and find great places to live,” Gould said. “But there is something to Chicago — the sports, the food, the city, the golf. There are so many aspects of the city of Chicago that we’ve come to love. At the end of the day this is home for me. I want my kids to be Chicago sports fans.  The Chicago Bears, the Cubs, the Sox, the Blackhawks — they’ve all been unbelievably open armed to me and my family. It’s a place where you become a die-hard. We took my kids to their first Blackhawks game a couple of weeks ago and they went absolutely crazy. You hope one day they do that with their kids. This is where my career started. So no matter where I play, Chicago is always going to be home.”

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like he's not going anywhere. 

This tweet is factually incorrect. 

Tucker's extension does nothing to change the franchise tag number for this season. Franchise tag salaries are based on the top 5 salaries at your position from the previous year

It couldn't be the way described in the tweet, because what if Gould already signed his tender? Then the contractual amount between both parties would change? Shoddy reporting right there

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

This tweet is factually incorrect. 

Tucker's extension does nothing to change the franchise tag number for this season. Franchise tag salaries are based on the top 5 salaries at your position from the previous year

It couldn't be the way described in the tweet, because what if Gould already signed his tender? Then the contractual amount between both parties would change? Shoddy reporting right there

That tweet is factually correct. Nothing in the tweet mentions salary. You inferred that. 

Gould went from the highest paid kicker in the league to the 2nd highest paid kicker in the league with this extension. You and I don't know what Gould's contract demands are. Had he said "I need the 49ers to commit to a 4 year deal worth $16M and $8M guaranteed" and the 49ers laughed at it under the belief that "that's crazy for a kicker" and then Tucker signs a 4 year deal worth $23M and $12M guaranteed, then our negotiations are impacted quite a bit. 

And it could work in the opposite way - had Gould requested something like 4 years $30M and $17M guaranteed, then now that's a laughable demand. 

Somebody resetting the market at a position group impacts every other person in negotiations. Had Gould signed the Franchise tag, it would not impact us in any way. Since he didn't - somebody in the negotiations just got better leverage. 

Archived