2019 Live Draft Chat

dll2000

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

With what we’ve done at WR with now a TON of quality depth and at RB with Montgomery and Davis both having 3-down skills I’m really curious to see how we deploy Cohen. I think we’re going to see someone, and maybe multiple someones, that we expect to be significant pieces in 2019 not getting a ton of reps outside of injury. I don’t expect at all to see Cohen be one of them, but it’s gonna be somebody. It’s certainly a great problem to have.

Coming into this weekend I had Wims pegged as a guy who may be looking at significantly more reps in 2019 and now I’m not even sure he makes the team without a position switch or injuries ahead of him. He’s got 5 locked in guys ahead of him for sure for roster spots in Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Ridley and Patterson, and I don’t think he has Emanuel Hall’s upside. I think they really like Wims too, but there are only so many roster spots they can allocate to the position, and I’m not sure they can get him through to the practice squad. 

I think Gabriel  ends up being odd  man out ... esp if Miller is healthy all season and  Ridley  contributes right away ..

I think  Wims  is pretty safe, unless  he slacks off ..  anybody slacking will not make this team, WAY too much  competition for  that ! ..

Wims  is  so diff from everybody else. Big target  dependable  on contested and  50/50 ..  He plays at his own pace  and can get  it done in the NFL ..  cant see fulltime transition to TE but  maybe in a pinch 

I'm a big fan of wims esp when all our WRs are my  size   ha  !

Taylor Gabriel is my exact height and weight  !

2 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I think Gabriel  ends up being odd  man out ... esp if Miller is healthy all season and  Ridley  contributes right away ..

I think  Wims  is pretty safe, unless  he slacks off ..  anybody slacking will not make this team, WAY too much  competition for  that ! ..

Wims  is  so diff from everybody else. Big target  dependable  on contested and  50/50 ..  He plays at his own pace  and can get  it done in the NFL ..  cant see fulltime transition to TE but  maybe in a pinch 

I am a big Wims fan, but IMO no way is Gabriel odd man out.  He was best receiver on Bears most of season. 

I think Robinson is man this year second year out from his ACL, but Gabriel will still get major play in 2019. 

Miller will be out Spring and maybe some of summer rehabbing his shoulder I believe.

Wims made plays every opportunity he got.  Can't do more than that.  He just has to keep doing it and his opportunities will come.  

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am a big Wims fan, but IMO no way is Gabriel odd man out.  He was best receiver on Bears most of season. 

I think Robinson is man this year second year out from his ACL, but Gabriel will still get major play in 2019. 

Miller will be out Spring and maybe some of summer rehabbing his shoulder I believe.

Wims made plays every opportunity he got.  Can't do more than that.  He just has to keep doing it and his opportunities will come.  

Gabriel will not  be odd man out bc of Wims.  It would be a natural outcome of a  super-crowded  passing scheme   ... and bc of  jet  sweep Cordarelle 

I agree w you that AR  will be the man!  We've  only seen on the mend  AR and that was spectacular  !!  

Then you have Miller who  should get lion's share at #2 ....  Then we have Cohen Burton Shaheen  Patterson  Montgomery    Ridley? 

I don't want less  Gabriel  I love  TG !    but it's a #s  thing 

GREAT problem  to have ...  means  we will  always have matchup winners all over the  field  !

10 hours ago, CBears019 said:

What’s up with cole Tracy?  During the senior bowl or combine i remember hearing about him as one of the better kickers in the draft.  A punter got drafted in the 4th round, yet he still remains unsigned 6 hours after the draft.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he holds out all through training camp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he holds out all through training camp

Damn right.  Conduct a protest over not being drafted.  It's only right.  I would do the same thing and park in some GM's driveway 'til he signs me.

That'll show who I am.  >:(

4 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Not for nothing but calling a guy with FOUR career catches, and for 8 yards per catch at that, dependable on anything is an extreme stretch. His strengths are the same things that Ridley excels at, and Ridley is the more highly rated and higher drafted guy. That shouldn’t matter, but it almost always does, and with the top 5 WR roster spots locked in ahead of him (Ridley and Miller have zero chance of being cut and the other 3 have big guaranteed money in 2019 already locked in) he’s gonna have to hold off literally everyone else to keep his job. And really, that’s how it should be for a 7th round pick who didn’t establish himself as a core player as a rookie. As WR6 not only is he going to have to show that he’s a better depth option now than guys like Hall but also that he’s got more long term potential (since both are likely game day inactives as WR6). Wims is unlike most of our WR skill set wise, but so Emanuel Hall. 

• Like 1

My Draft Grades...

3rd round...RB...David Montgomery...Iowa State...B+

I think Montgomery is a classic example of someone who the off season hurt and a lot of people got caught up in the combine numbers which led to him being available in the 3rd...truth be told all of Montgomery's best traits aren't athletic ones but football related...put him in pads and he has the best vision, contact balance and instincts as running back in this entire class...his ability to create while playing behind a terrible OL was impressive as was his leadership to keep plugging away when some times there was very little help in front of him and every defence he faced knew he was the biggest threat on the field...Nagy is embarrassing the Hunt comparison...the RB coach who coached both Montgomery and Hunt seems to think Montgomery could be the better of the two as well...only reason this isn't a A is because he doesn't have great speed and he has some miles on the clock but in this scheme and with the options we have at RB he isn't going to be asked to carry the ball 30-35 times a game...could very well be a better pro than college player with improved talent round him.

4th round...WR...Riley Ridley...Georgia...A

Some were projecting Ridley to be a 2nd round pick...truth be told I though that was rich...top of the 3rd is where I projected him but yet again it seems teams have turned off the tape and simply looked at the athletic testing numbers...Ridley isn't the biggest, strongest or fastest dude...but again what he brings are things you can't test in shorts...his route running, hands and ability to win contested catches are his strengths...I see him as a guy who can take on the Demarcus Robinson role for Nagy as a sure handed versatile backup who can line up outside or in the slot and be well rounded in doing so from the get go as he like Montgomery is far more of a floor than ceiling player...long term I could see him being a #2 or #3 in this scheme but as a #4 right off the bat there won't be many more solid in the league.

6th round...NB...Duke Shelley...Kansas State...B+

My initial reaction..."who?"...Shelley was far from highly touted coming into the draft process and I have had to dig through a good bit of tape to find out what he is about but when you watch him you can see why we picked him...very athletic and twitchy...super aggressive and plays with a chip on his shoulder while being battle tested in the Big 12 he was overmatched for size playing on the outside but as a nickle he has the instincts and ball skills to become a playmaker...I see a lot of Skrine in him and Pace himself called him both sticky in coverage and scrappy...I could see him having a future starting gig in the nickle...only reason I can't go higher is because Jordan Brown was still on the board and I had a pretty high grade on him.

7th round...RB...Kerrith Whyte...FAU...B

Doubling down at RB was a good move in this draft given the amount of talent and depth...I am a huge believer that when you start getting into the really late picks you take guys with outstanding physical attributes who maybe haven't been in a great spot...this is exactly what Whyte presents with outstanding measurable and a skill set of running, pass catching & return skills that should have made him a college star...he did have Devin Singletary in front of him though so that never happened...which has led to him having low mileage on the clock and probably looking to prove something...I see him as an upgrade as the #3 back on this team over the likes of Mizzell.

7th round...DB...Stephen Denmark...Valdosta State...B-

See above...is Whyte is a great athlete Denmark is a super athlete...I have listed him here as a DB but given he has played both offence and defence in college I see him as a guy who can present more of a match up issue in practice than anything else...playing a team who have a freak at WR? Practice against this guy...I don't expect a high value of snaps in actual games tho.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not for nothing but calling a guy with FOUR career catches, and for 8 yards per catch at that, dependable on anything is an extreme stretch. His strengths are the same things that Ridley excels at, and Ridley is the more highly rated and higher drafted guy. That shouldn’t matter, but it almost always does, and with the top 5 WR roster spots locked in ahead of him (Ridley and Miller have zero chance of being cut and the other 3 have big guaranteed money in 2019 already locked in) he’s gonna have to hold off literally everyone else to keep his job. And really, that’s how it should be for a 7th round pick who didn’t establish himself as a core player as a rookie. As WR6 not only is he going to have to show that he’s a better depth option now than guys like Hall but also that he’s got more long term potential (since both are likely game day inactives as WR6). Wims is unlike most of our WR skill set wise, but so Emanuel Hall. 

Yeah but he put up 227 yards in the 2018 preseason and a few of them were big time catches.  That's what earned him his spot on the roster last year.

I believe Nagy will find a way to use Wims enough to keep him around for a bit longer to see how he develops.  His true competition may come more from the UDFA TE.  We normally keep 4 TEs.  If we only keep 3 then we can keep 6 WRs especially if Wims can be transitioned into a "U" type TE.

E. Hall is another guy whose likely to end up on the PS for now until he learns the route tree.  Gabriel is a far better deep threat right now and besides to date Mitch hasn't been the kind of downfield passer that someone like Mahomes has been.  He's most effective in the 10-20 yard range.

ST ability is also gonna be a factor with these guys and that could be a deciding factor but with what we're paying ARob if Pace doesn't see a way of keeping him Wims is the guy who may be developing behind him.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, soulman said:

Yeah but he put up 227 yards in the 2018 preseason and a few of them were big time catches.  That's what earned him his spot on the roster last year.

I believe Nagy will find a way to use Wims enough to keep him around for a bit longer to see how he develops.  His true competition may come more from the UDFA TE.  We normally keep 4 TEs.  If we only keep 3 then we can keep 6 WRs especially if Wims can be transitioned into a "U" type TE.

E. Hall is another guy whose likely to end up on the PS for now until he learns the route tree.  Gabriel is a far better deep threat right now and besides to date Mitch hasn't been the kind of downfield passer that someone like Mahomes has been.  He's most effective in the 10-20 yard range.

ST ability is also gonna be a factor with these guys and that could be a deciding factor but with what we're paying ARob if Pace doesn't see a way of keeping him Wims is the guy who may be developing behind him.

He balled in pre season.

In regular season Wims basically got once chance to play.  He had several snaps against MN in a must win game for them.

He had 4 catches on 4 targets.  Can't do much better than that.  Made use of every opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

He balled in pre season.

In regular season Wims basically got once chance to play.  He had several snaps against MN in a must win game for them.

He had 4 catches on 4 targets.  Can't do much better than that.  Made use of every opportunity.

Exactly.  He doesn't control the plays that were called.  He just went out and executed what he was asked to do.

One point Nagy often makes regarding his receivers is he likes them to know the route tree and plays he would call from multiple positions especially his "Z"/Flanker spot because he lines that guy up all over the place and sometimes simply to reveal coverage or as a decoy to get another WR open.  So he tries not to put to much on a rookie plate initially wanting him to master one position before adding others.

In addition to being a valuable ST guy that's also what helped Bellamy stick as long as he did.  He could play any of the WR positions.

If this is the routine than both Miller and Wims will start working out at multiple positions this year while Ridley is kept more focused on one 'til he's perfected it and can then move on.  Nagy's schemes are all about timing and depth on pass routes which was hurting Miller a little last year when Furrey said he was "free lancing" too much.  Talent has to combine with discipline in this scheme.

IMHO this is a huge reason why a kid like Emmanuel Hall who carried a 3rd round grade failed to get drafted.  He has a rep as a one trick pony deep threat who had limited coaching in an NFL route tree in college.  Now he's gonna need to learn it just as White did and how well he does with it will dictate how much he'll ever get to play in this offense.  Nagy isn't gonna keep a guy just because he can run fast.

NFL Draft Grades: Bears earn 'A' from NFL.com

usatsi_12256054.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

It’s rare for a draft class that doesn’t include a first- or second-round pick to earn high grades from analysts around the country, but that’s exactly what Chicago Bears GM Ryan Pace is getting in the days after the 2019 NFL draft concluded.

He earned a B+ from ESPN’s Mel Kiper, and now has an A on his report card from NFL.com.

When they were finally on the clock Friday night (they dealt away their second-rounder this year in a draft day trade last year to land WR Anthony Miller), the Bears found their new running back in Montgomery, who can carry a heavy workload. They had to give up a 2020 fourth-round pick as part of the deal, though.

Getting Ridley in the fourth round was an absolute steal. I thought he was a second-round value. Shelley could be a nice slot corner. He hid behind Devin Singletary at FAU, but the Bears thought enough of White to pair him with Montgomery at RB in their draft class.

The biggest variable in Pace’s high draft grades is Khalil Mack. The all-world pass-rusher was acquired last September in a trade with Oakland for Chicago’s first-round pick in 2019 and 2020 (along with other picks changing hands). The Raiders ended up with Josh Jacobs at No. 24 overall (the Bears’ original first-round pick), which helps define what Chicago actually gave up.

Yeah, give me Mack every time.

Pace’s success extends beyond the trade, however. Landing offensive weapons like Montgomery and Ridley in the third and fourth rounds respectively qualify as ridiculous value. He swung on upside with Kerrith Whyte (RB, FAU), Duke Shelley (CB, Kansas State) and Stephen Denmark (CB, Valdosta State).

And remember: Anthony Miller is part of this year’s hypothetical class, too. Pace traded the team’s second-rounder to the Patriots during last year’s draft to move up for the Miller, who’s expected to take a massive leap in production in 2019.

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 1:45 PM, AZBearsFan said:

After watching  Wims in preseason I went  to his Georgia  tape ...  He he is an impressive!  impressive  target  prospect  !  He is completely diff  from Ridley  ..  Ridley uses precision and slick  route running so that he's running free  downfield. Wims plays  at his pace because  he knows he will tAke the pass from any defender esp smaller defenders 

We can carry  6WR/4TE ..  I don't think  Wims will play much  but he is WAY  TOO GOOD  to release  ... he may stay safe on our practice squad  it's not like  he would be on other  team radar's  I don't think,  hope not  !

Betts is intriguing.

But with Canadian prospects you need to PR them for a year.

We do not get raised playing football and we do not start in the weight room at 12 years old like they do in the football states in the US. Betts has intriguing physical tools, but will need a year to get his body up to NFL standards.

• Like 1