Steelers extend QB Ben Roethlisberger (2 years, $63 M)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Ben has always been, and still is, capable of having a 500 yard 6 TD game against anybody, but he has also always been capable of those 4 INT games where he literally throws the game away on his own. It seems like lately he has had less of the latter and more of the former, and with Brown gone that trend may continue.

While he has statistically performed well and consistent over the past 4 years, I have noticed the amount of over/underthrown deep balls seems to have greatly increased the past two years. I don't have any real stats but I swear he averaged nearly 1.5 wide open TD's on deep throws a game during the 2018 season.

Maybe.  Maybe everything you’re saying is true, in which case as I said, he’s figuring out a way to compensate and keep his production level high.

A little friendly advice, enjoy him while you can, the next guy likely won’t be nearly as good.  

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe.  Maybe everything you’re saying is true, in which case as I said, he’s figuring out a way to compensate and keep his production level high.

A little friendly advice, enjoy him while you can, the next guy likely won’t be nearly as good.  

I'm trying but our OC and defense sure haven't been helping over the past ~5 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Interesting take considering he just had his second highest completion percentage in his career, the highest yard total in his career and the most TD’s in his career all last season.

If he’s clearly declining as you insist, he’s certainly figured out some excellent ways to compensate for that decline so it doesn’t impact his production.

The guy you quoted spends more of his time hating the Steelers than talking about the Chiefs.  In fact, I've never seen him say a thing about the Chiefs, but he takes a ton of shots at the Steelers.   

Like I said, eventually the haters will be right...but for now, not any other real options.  Even if Ben is declining, he is still, at absolute worse, a top 15 QB, and very arguably still top 7-10.

• Like 2

By this time next year, we could see 6-8 QB's with 30M AAV deals.   Wentz, Rivers, Brees (if he doesn't retire), etc.  30M is the new bar.    Wilson and Ben just happen to be lucky enough to set it, but it's coming, with a cap approaching 200M.  

I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth when it comes to retiring or even being able to play next week (he always says he's iffy, then plays lol).   But as long as he remains a top 10 QB, that's the new going rate.  It's just going to look more inflated until the salaries finish catching up by next offseason.

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Interesting take considering he just had his second highest completion percentage in his career, the highest yard total in his career and the most TD’s in his career all last season.

If he’s clearly declining as you insist, he’s certainly figured out some excellent ways to compensate for that decline so it doesn’t impact his production.

I didn’t say he was bad, just that he’s on the decline. The stats are there but he’s not as nearly as efficient. 16th rated QB per PFF when in years past he was hovering at or outside top 5. Also, you’d think Derek Carr had a good year if you looked at his stats. Career high completion %, career high passing yards, yet if you were to watch the games you wouldn’t see a very good QB the majority of the time. Though Ben and Carr aren’t in the same conversations as far as ability goes...

4 minutes ago, Chiefs FTW said:

I didn’t say he was bad, just that he’s on the decline. The stats are there but he’s not as nearly as efficient. 16th rated QB per PFF when in years past he was hovering at or outside top 5.

I like PFF, big fan actually, but they’re not the gospel.  I mean, in this list they had Dalton rated above Ben last season.  Is Andy Dalton a better QB right now (or ever) than Ben? How about Cousins?

4 minutes ago, Chiefs FTW said:

Also, you’d think Derek Carr had a good year if you looked at his stats. Career high completion %, career high passing yards, yet if you were to watch the games you wouldn’t see a very good QB the majority of the time. Though Ben and Carr aren’t in the same conversations as far as ability goes...

He threw 19 TD’s vs 34, 1000 less yards... not sure why he’s even being brought into this discussion?

I’m not saying bulk numbers are everything, but they’re something.  Ben had the 7th highest yardage total in league history last season.  

Your comparison is stretch, at best.

I guess bottom line for me is it’s hard to say a first ballot HoFer who just set personal bests in multiple statistical categories is on the decline.

We can agree to disagree though.

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like PFF, big fan actually, but they’re not the gospel.  I mean, in this list they had Dalton rated above Ben last season.  Is Andy Dalton a better QB right now (or ever) than Ben? How about Cousins?

He threw 19 TD’s vs 34, 1000 less yards... not sure why he’s even being brought into this discussion?

I’m not saying bulk numbers are everything, but they’re something.  Ben had the 7th highest yardage total in league history last season.  

Your comparison is stretch, at best.

I guess bottom line for me is it’s hard to say a first ballot HoFer who just set personal bests in multiple statistical categories is on the decline.

We can agree to disagree though.

I like PFF for QBs, I find them to be pretty correct for the most part. Positions like Guard & DT ehh not so much. A lot easier to analyze the QB position and see what their responsibilities were on a play as opposed to other positions. 

And I’m not comparing him to Carr, at all. Carr sucks. I’m just saying be weary of stats because they don’t tell you the whole story. I just don’t think he is as efficient as years past and don’t see him really getting back to that borderline elite level.

Do I blame the Steelers? No, can’t play hardball with your future HOF QB. Just saying it’s a lot for the guy nowadays, but you can say that for a lot of contracts given to players

Edited by Chiefs FTW

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Steelers/Big Ben couldn't win the division against two rookie QBs, and Jeff Driskel last season.  People forget this...

1) More to teams than just the QBs.

2) Steelers were 4-1-1 vs the AFC North.

3) Steelers lost a bunch of close games.

People didn't forget....its just not exactly relevant information.  They were a very average and inconsistent team that lost a weak division....nuff said.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:02 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That way he figured out would be more pass attempts. Coupled with the league wide inflated passing stats. His TD%, YPA, and YPC were all below his career averages. But he lead the league in attempts and completions.

He ranked between 12th and 20th in basically every efficiency stat you can find. Completion, YPA, YPC, rating, etc. He had a fairly average season compared to the league just with a disgusting number of pass attempts. He basically had Matthew Stafford's 2011 season. In a year with crazy inflated passing stats, he was the guy that got the numbers not because his efficiency skyrocketed, like others, but because he threw way more passes in a league where everyone was already throwing a ton of passes.

• Like 3