1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Did ANYONE think that was going to the case for Rashan Gary in Y1?  I'm more concerned about how he looks next year.

The  hope was that he was going to show some other development and production with his tools. Instead we're seeing all of the struggles and none of the other things there was hope he would be able to do. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We don't know anything about his work ethic? Everybody keeps saying that and I don't know why. 

The problem with the draft profile is that in college he struggled with his first step and turning the corner. It killed his statistical production. We're now sitting in the NFL and he's struggling with his first step and turning the corner, and he has no real statistical production. 

He is saying the right things, and there is proof that he is training hard.  Is it all hype and Bravo Sierra? Maybe. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that front until there is evidence to the contrary.

Again, Gute took a project with the 12th pick.  Not where I would prefer to do that, but now we have to wait to see if that gamble pays off, or if we have a bust.  

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The  hope was that he was going to show some other development and production with his tools. Instead we're seeing all of the struggles and none of the other things there was hope he would be able to do. 

that would be irrational to hope he would show those things without any additional coaching or reps in the first half of the season...

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Do you draft the most talented running back that can't gain yards ? We drafted the most talented pass rusher that can't rush the pass

When pass rushers future production hinges on Y1 production, I'd be behind that.  But these are apples and oranges comparison to the extreme.  Look at the top pass rushers,a nd look at their rookie production.  And I'm specifically not talking about top 5 picks.  Look at this year, we have Shaq Barrett (0 sacks as a rookie), Chandler Jones (6 sacks), Preston Smith (8 sacks), and Danielle Hunter (6 sacks) in the top 5.  And before you start talking about the production they had, let's look at the snap count.  Shaq Barrett (45.3%), Chandler Jones (66.8%), Preston Smith (48.1%), and Danielle Hunter (36.5%) all played significantly more snaps than Rashan Gary.  Rashan Gary is currently at 23.7% of the defensive snaps.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The hilarious thing to me is that it used to be "Let's wait 2-3 years to judge a draft class". Has now been reduced to 7 games lol

Except he looked exactly like this his entire college career and he isn't showing any signs that things will change. He has serious flaws in his game and he had them before we drafted him. 

I am not saying completely give up on the guy, he deserves at least two full years in my opinion but we have drafted numerous guys who actually tore it up in college and they still busted; kind of hard to be optimistic about a guy who didn't tear it up in college and now looks exactly the same. Some guys either have it or they don't.

Edited by Victor1124

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kind of hard to show much of anything when you're averaging 16 snaps per game.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

When pass rushers future production hinges on Y1 production, I'd be behind that.  But these are apples and oranges comparison to the extreme.  Look at the top pass rushers,a nd look at their rookie production.  And I'm specifically not talking about top 5 picks.  Look at this year, we have Shaq Barrett (0 sacks as a rookie), Chandler Jones (6 sacks), Preston Smith (8 sacks), and Danielle Hunter (6 sacks) in the top 5.  And before you start talking about the production they had, let's look at the snap count.  Shaq Barrett (45.3%), Chandler Jones (66.8%), Preston Smith (48.1%), and Danielle Hunter (36.5%) all played significantly more snaps than Rashan Gary.  Rashan Gary is currently at 23.7% of the defensive snaps.

I remember Palmy saying the 2 easiest positions to flash were runners and rushers. 

Just now, cannondale said:

I remember Palmy saying the 2 easiest positions to flash were runners and rushers. 

Flash?  Maybe.  Consistently produce?  Hell no.  Off-ball LBs and RBs are probably the two "easiest" positions to translate to the NFL

2 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

Except he looked exactly like this his entire college career and he isn't showing any signs that things will change. He has serious flaws in his game and he had them before we drafted him. 

I am not saying completely give up on the guy, he deserves at least two full years in my opinion but we have drafted numerous guys who actually tore it up in college and they still busted; kind of hard to be optimistic about a guy who didn't tear it up in college and now looks exactly the same. Some guys either have it or they don't.

Why would he improve between college and his very first NFL games? 

1 minute ago, Victor1124 said:

I don't know why everyone is throwing the towel in on Gary because he's not producing Y1. Anyone who expected him to come out and show out his first year in this system got it wrong. Rashan Gary was a pick that showed trust in the Packers coaching staff to get the most out of him and that takes coaching and that takes time. This was a redshirt year for him. He was never going to have an immediate impact for us. This wasn't a pick for today it was a pick for tomorrow. 

• Like 1