1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

So? Rashan is not a game changer right now by any means. Clearly not ready to be an NFL starter at EDGE. That's fine, we're 6-1. Keep getting him snaps. I could go down the list of guys that had awful reps as rookies that are leaders of this team 3-4 years later. We have the Smith Bros anyway, even if he busts it has a minimal impact on this team as Savage and Jenkins are already long-term players so the draft class will be fine and we haven't needed Gary at all to get to 6-1.

Good take.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Am I wrong on this topic?

Yeah, I think to say he sucks is way too far. He's gotten pressure and hasn't had a ton of chances. I was not a fan of this pick, but it was clear he was an athlete who hadn't mastered the game. He's coming along. Still a long way to go but to say a rookie with limited opportunities sucks is a bit too far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Half the ******* board was predicting 9 sacks for him?

I don't recall this at all.  I think most of us were thinking 5 sacks would be about right.

But...if you find that thread, it would be some interesting reading.  

I know I was violently opposed to the pick.  Then I rationalized it with his athletic ability.  It's probably not a good thing to have to rationalize your #12 overall pick, but that is where we are at.  The kid is a harder worker than I thought he was.  He's done most everything right so far.....and I won't bury him after 7 games in his rookie season.

Again, though, your points about him are well taken with me and I'm not going to say that you are wrong about his play so far.  My point of view on him is different, though, as I never expected much from him in year one.

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Half the ******* board was predicting 9 sacks for him?

I don't think anyone predicted Z or Preston were going to be guys that you can't take off the field. 

Plus I'll say this about Kyler, no one gave him more crap in his rookie year, he was downright embarrassing at times, but he's a worked himself into a respectable player that deserves the reps he gets too. 

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So?

Rashan is not a game changer right now by any means. Clearly not ready to be an NFL starter at EDGE. That's fine, we're 6-1. Keep getting him snaps. I could go down the list of guys that had awful reps as rookies that are leaders of this team 3-4 years later. We have the Smith Bros anyway, even if he busts it has a minimal impact on this team as Savage and Jenkins are already long-term players so the draft class will be fine and we haven't needed Gary at all to get to 6-1.

The problem is that the last time Rashan Gary looked like a game changer was when he was playing against literal children.

21 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Yeah, I think to say he sucks is way too far. He's gotten pressure and hasn't had a ton of chances. I was not a fan of this pick, but it was clear he was an athlete who hadn't mastered the game. He's coming along. Still a long way to go but to say a rookie with limited opportunities sucks is a bit too far. 

He really hasn't

41 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The last couple games he's been a little flat, like the entire defense, but there's has been a lot of growth.

His haters are going to keep regurgitating the same ignorant narrative, yet it doesn't change the facts. He's a 21 yr old super size/athlete edge prospect that doesn't know his craft yet. It'll be a process.

Edited by Donzo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Gary > Rodgers as a rookie

I know that much

Yep agreed here. Lots of guys have been ugly early in their careers and gotten better some don't. Hard to say what the kid ends up doing. I hope the light clicks and he gets better.

12 minutes ago, Donzo said:

The last couple games he's been a little flat, like the entire defense, but there's has been a lot of growth.

His haters are going to keep regurgitating the same ignorant narrative, yet it doesn't change the facts. He's a 21 yr old super size/athlete edge prospect that doesn't know his craft yet. It'll be a process.

But the last time he played well was against kids............oh look he's still one himself. Well said.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The problem is that the last time Rashan Gary looked like a game changer was when he was playing against literal children.

Considering Gary can barely legally drink in his home country I think you are a bit over the top on this. Obviously you chose to see the negative side with the kid only. Thank goodness for those that only look at things that way had the Raven's or the Skin's thought highly of their Smith's we may not have gotten them.