1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is it even possible to have an elite game in run defense when you only see 10 snaps of run defense in garbage time?

Why not?

I really dont know what you have against him. I get your expert analysis didn't have him as a top 12 draft pick, but really why don't you wait a season before saying he sucks.

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why not?

I really dont know what you have against him. I get your expert analysis didn't have him as a top 12 draft pick, but really why don't you wait a season before saying he sucks.

A 2% pressure rate is what I have against him.

If after the second half of the season, he's no longer playing like he sucks, I'll say he doesn't suck, but I've never seen such resentment over saying that an unproductive player sucks.

Nobody is giving up on him, or calling to cut him, but saying that he hasn't sucked through seven games is just wrong

I think we're spinning our wheels here.

I think Gary is exactly who most people thought he'd be coming out of college: a work in progress.

Would it be nice if he'd evolved a bit more? Sure. Is he a bust? Hardly. It's too early to conclude a work in progress is worth scrapping already.

Only "issue" IMO is whether the team could have selected a different player and gotten more of an instant return.
We're 6+1 - good . Our DL pressure package is relatively healthy - good. Would it be nice to have excessive / rotational and producing talent around? Sure.

Me? I'm relying on the coaching staff having a clue - seeing Gary as fitting their scheme and D designs - somebody coaching the guy up and the player making it come together when his time on the field comes around.

Only time will tell.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I do not have the Elite package but the guys on the Pack a Day podcast said that PFF (which I know isn’t the be all end all) game Gary a elite run defense score. And that’s very consistent from what we heard coming out of college that he’d already be good vs the run.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's got an overall grade of 54.1 right now from them. With their stupid grading system, if he had an elite run grade, it wouldn't be that low.

Run D of 65.4. That's 64'th in the league at EDGE.

Whoever said that he's "Elite" as a run defender is not breathing the same air as the rest of us.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Run D of 65.4. That's 64'th in the league at EDGE.

Whoever said that he's "Elite" as a run defender is not breathing the same air as the rest of us.

He's not a PFF guy. They pimp their draft darlings and dock the guys they pick to bust. They have their merits, but they aren't without biases there.

Gary is not an elite run defender yet though, but I certainly saw some things I liked when versus Oakland and Denver when I was there in person watching him. Pass rush he's got much further to go.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is it even possible to have an elite game in run defense when you only see 10 snaps of run defense in garbage time?

That is an excellent question.  I think it is possible if he were to play 10 snaps every game and give "elite run defense" in every snap he played to call that elite.  But we have to be careful of this when using a small sample size:

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, how easy is to get any sort of rhythm when you're averaging 16 snaps per game?

He looked the same when he got a lot of snaps at Michigan and in the preseason. You could argue that if he was better he would get more snaps. The Smiths are good but they aren’t prime Von Miller or Khalil Mack good where they can’t come off the field. It could actually end up hurting later in the season if they end up wearing down. 

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I strongly suspect that there's a stronger correlation between guys who had sack/pressure production as a rookie and NFL success than guys who sucked.

Would you not expect there to be a correlation between opportunity (i.e. snaps) and production?

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

There is, and Gary isn't hitting that marker either.

Because the Smith's are playing a ton of snaps, and the "leftover" snaps are going to Fackrell.  I don't see that as an indictment on Gary, that was the plan all along with Gary.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because the Smith's are playing a ton of snaps, and the "leftover" snaps are going to Fackrell.  I don't see that as an indictment on Gary, that was the plan all along with Gary.

The indictments on Gary are:

1. He isn't pulling snaps from Fackrell.

2. He's not producing in the snaps he's been getting

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The indictments on Gary are:

1. He isn't pulling snaps from Fackrell.

2. He's not producing in the snaps he's been getting

I'm not defending Fackrell, but he's also a 27 year old 4 year vet coming off a 10 sack season compared to a 21 year old rookie...