1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Jadeveon Clowney didn't get his first sack until his 10th career game, and I'm sure he played a heck of a lot more snaps. People need to chill on Gary.

Khalil Mack didn't get his first sack until game 10 as well, and he was the #3 pick playing 89% of the defensive snaps.  He didn't look that good early on either.

I am not saying Gary will be Khalil Mack, just that slow starts are common.

• Like 2

Gary's play is still real bad, but he's clearly working.  He's showing some growth in his pass rush game, but it hasn't actually translated to being any more effective.  Frankly, I honestly don't get how such a big guy gets stonewalled so easily.  His bullrush is always handled like he's 70 lbs lighter.  That being said, the fact that he's trying to use his hands more and actually string multiple moves together is a good sign.  He's probably a year away from being a legitimate NFL starter, but the effort is there, he's huge and he's a freak athlete. I feel pretty decent about him turning into something, although I'm not 100% sure what.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Gary's play is still real bad, but he's clearly working.  He's showing some growth in his pass rush game, but it hasn't actually translated to being any more effective.  Frankly, I honestly don't get how such a big guy gets stonewalled so easily.  His bullrush is always handled like he's 70 lbs lighter.  That being said, the fact that he's trying to use his hands more and actually string multiple moves together is a good sign.  He's probably a year away from being a legitimate NFL starter, but the effort is there, he's huge and he's a freak athlete. I feel pretty decent about him turning into something, although I'm not 100% sure what.

He's also only 21 we have a long way with the kid. It's amazing the difference a couple years makes especially in the mental part of the game. He looks like a kid out there it's happening real fast for him. He's a worker though and the Smith's style and leadership should be huge for him it just may take the year. I would be by the end of the year we may see a bit more or some more snaps and results for him.

Edited by PACKRULE

33 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

He's also only 21 we have a long way with the kid. It's amazing the difference a couple years makes especially in the mental part of the game. He looks like a kid out there it's happening real fast for him. He's a worker though and the Smith's style and leadership should be huge for him it just may take the year. I would be by the end of the year we may see a bit more or some more snaps and results for him.

We may see more from him, but honestly my money would be on this being basically the Gary we get in 2019.  He just needs a lot of work, and he doesn't really get enough snaps each game to improve much.  There's practice, but precious little of that once TC ends.  His talent is ridiculously apparent every snap and he plays with a ton of energy.  He's just not a very good football player yet.  He's clearly trying to model his game after Z, the hand usage has been better, but he doesn't seem to have a good sense for leverage.  He needs to spend like two months this offseason in a wrestling or BJJ course, because if he could just figure out how to get people off-balance sometimes when he bull rushes his production will double.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If one more person posts what a hard worker a dude they have never met is, I'm going to scream.

Coming from the guy who made a thread criticizing the pre-snap abilities of an nfl quarterback! You love you some you bro. Wish i had that kind of swagger.

3 hours ago, Howler said:

I wasn't a big Gary guy, but I wonder how low he drops if Gute doesn't pick him? 

I doubt he would have fallen too far. He was an elite athlete (9.98 RAS) with high character and some pedigree. Even with production concerns guy like him don’t drop far. He had some top 10 buzz after all.

Honestly, 5 years ago I think he probably would have gone higher and the pick would have been better received just based on athletic upside. The analytic community hated him and mace people sour (for good reasons, his issues now aren’t new, same he had in college).

I wasn’t personally happy at the time. With that said, I’m rooting for him and hope he develops.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I sowed animosity between my parents for years to get them to divorce so I could have two Christmases.

Not just two Christmases, but also the jealousy kicks in so they keep trying to one up each other.  "Your dad took you to the coast!?  Well let's go to Hawaii right now!"