2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

Also, I’m sick of defensive coordinators with a philosophy of bend, don’t break.  I want a defensive coordinator with a philosophy of don’t bend don’t break.  Bend don’t break isn’t even working since we lead the league in explosive plays.  If we’re gonna suck at that anyway, it’s time to send more blitzes.

I feel vindicated right now for being the only one who didn’t want Pettine back.  As a general rule, I don’t like having former head coaches, either.  I feel like they’re prone to be content with where they’re at.  I want a coordinator angling for a head coaching position.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, I’m sick of defensive coordinators with a philosophy of bend, don’t break.  I want a defensive coordinator with a philosophy of don’t bend don’t break.  Bend don’t break isn’t even working since we lead the league in explosive plays.  If we’re gonna suck at that anyway, it’s time to send more blitzes.

I feel vindicated right now for being the only one who didn’t want Pettine back.  As a general rule, I don’t like having former head coaches, either.  I feel like they’re prone to be content with where they’re at.  I want a coordinator angling for a head coaching position.  

Pettine of week 1-5: I'd sign to a lifetime contract and be overjoyed.

Pettine of week 6-9: Worse than Capers ever was.

I don't think I've ever seen a vet coach turn so against the norm. We should know exactly who Pettine is, we have plenty of sample size. LaFleur has taken a hands off approach to the defense, I wonder if he jumps in during the bye.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine of week 1-5: I'd sign to a lifetime contract and be overjoyed.

Pettine of week 6-9: Worse than Capers ever was.

I don't think I've ever seen a vet coach turn so against the norm. We should know exactly who Pettine is, we have plenty of sample size. LaFleur has taken a hands off approach to the defense, I wonder if he jumps in during the bye.

The fact we looked, better/different early gives me some confidence. I sure hope they thought they couldn't just walk over other NFL teams just because of worse records, but if they did, hopefully that is over with.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I won’t even respond to such ridiculous accusations.  I am the most certified Universe Odds expert here.  If my Packer sweatpants that I’ve had for 14 years with cigarette burns and paint stains that I still wear aren’t proof of that I don’t know what is.  

But have you washed them on a day that starts with the letter “T”?

Here's what I don't understand about Pettine's scheme, and it hits on @Packerraymond's point in his post earlier today:  how can he have our corners play 10 yards off the LOS in 3rd down situations with only two yards to gain for the first down?  I didn't see yesterday's game, but as I was reading through several articles about the game, I saw a screenshot of a 3rd and 2 situation, where the Chargers had two receivers split wide left.  Amazingly, our DB's were standing literally 10 yards off the LOS, and naturally, Rivers tosses out the flat and they easily get a 1st down.  Come on man, that's not smart strategy at all, and if that's what "bend don't break" means, then I'm all in on dumping that strategy pronto.  

24 minutes ago, Norm said:

The fact we looked, better/different early gives me some confidence. I sure hope they thought they couldn't just walk over other NFL teams just because of worse records, but if they did, hopefully that is over with.

I initially thought he changed because Savage was out, he's been back 2 weeks and we've been even more conservative than ever. I don't know what it is man. Easy fix. Hey Mike, start calling a defense like you have for the prior dozens of years of your career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Let's also not forget that Alexander was getting beat deep once a game playing man. Don't know what affect that had. Also wondering where the hell the safeties were on those. Everything's a blur at this point

Once a game is a bit extreme, who else but Cooper beat him playing press man? Williams beat him deep yesterday in a soft man look. 

Either way, you live and you die that way, you don't change how you play and suck because of it. Jaire can be elite, he's your alpha in the secondary, but even the big dogs get beat, receivers are good in this league, it happens. Aaron and Davante have smoked a lot of good CBs in their day.

I just really hope Pettine has been calling vanilla defenses with the mindset of “as long as we win” in the regular season so he can throw some things teams haven’t seen in the playoffs.  It’s a conspiracy I’ve believed in for a long time mostly because it makes me feel better and I hope it’s true.