2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

Just now, PACKRULE said:

That is the biggest deal him healthy. With that said Kruse is saying what here? Flacco is blind or terrible or maybe KK had better coverage than he is giving him credit for.

Yeah, that was kind of a crappy shot at Flacco, who actually dropped that pass on Sutton for a 52 yard gain. A lot of sports reporters are really just us, difference being they have a full time job of doing for $$ what we do for fun.

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

The crazy thing is there's a guy in Tampa who many of us wanted with almost twice as many sacks as Preston.

And Barrett is the guy I wanted.  He was significantly cheaper.  He's also on a one year deal for only 4 million.  These long deals with guarantees never work out well.  We got lucky. 

3 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Yeah, that was kind of a crappy shot at Flacco, who actually dropped that pass on Sutton for a 52 yard gain. A lot of sports reporters are really just us, difference being they have a full time job of doing for $$ what we do for fun.

Yeah a few of us missed our calling.

18 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

WR and RB are said to be strong for the 2020 draft. There should be good WRs in rounds 2/3 and good RBs anywhere from 2-4 or 5.

It’s a deep class, but there’s truly special talent at the top. Rare you’re in a position to land a guy like that at a skill position picking at the end of the first round but this is a year where it very well could be worth it. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

Went to the game on Sunday and saw this defense live..TV doesn't do it justice. So much energy
What a freakin blast and you can tell they are having fun out there - that's what Pettine's previous players said too in the article from The Athletic:

" you have to know your ****, but if you do its like a freaking video game out there "

Great game. We always stick around Lambeau and have a post- game tailgate. The Lambeau Lot 1 is open after the game, so no matter where you park, once the main rush is over, you just pull in and party in the lot. Then we like to cruise over to the players lot. They don't come out for 2 hours or so after the game, but then they tailgate in their lot with friends and family. We've seen AJ Hawk, Peppers, Cobb, Daniels, Burnett and others doing it over the years.
On Sunday, The D was in the corner right next to the fence and we saw Z and Preston totally goofing around and yukking it up with Pettine.
He was smoking a fat one...(cigar) and having a blast.
Said hi to coach Montgomery and Olividotti too, they were guarding the beer cooler. Seeing the camaraderie live, its really something

What was different about this session was that the coaches were partying with the players, in years past it was just the players. Super cool to see
Having Pettine as the 2nd in command allows him to let loose and let his personality really shine, he couldn't really do that as the HC.

My advice: Listen to Outpost -  this team is going places

• Like 4

19 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

That is the biggest deal him healthy. With that said Kruse is saying what here? Flacco is blind or terrible or maybe KK had better coverage than he is giving him credit for.

I like Kruse fine, but he's one of those guys that needs to learn that it's not all about showing off your opinion to show you know something or are right about something. Keep your opinions our of it, It's about relaying information/facts to readers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I'm enjoying Baldy breaking down some packers D. The Smith's and Gary all got to Flacco in a way this play, love it.

I hope the guys all keep their heads and realize that is is a full on show from everyone on that side. Allot of pieces are playing well and making things happen. The Smiths are grabbing the headlines but the coverage has been really good.

• 1 month later...

After attending today's game, I can safely say that I will quickly flush it from my memory just like I flushed my memories of the 48-27 MNF loss to Tennessee at Lambeau in 2004 and the 38-8 2016 Cardinal victory in Arizona in 2016. 

The Packers reached the playoffs in both 2004 and 2016 after I had the "pleasure" of watching those blowouts in person and I fully expect the Pack to still make the playoffs in 2019 notwithstanding their atrocious play this afternoon.

That said, there is one part of today's contest that confirms my earlier belief that the interior/middle of this Defense is ridiculously bad, not so much at Safety, but certainly at DL and ILB. 

The Chargers rush offense had been historically bad when it came to running the football before firing Whisenhunt this week -- totaling 142 yards on 63 carries (2.2 YPC) over the last 4 games. Prior to today, the Chargers were one of the worst running teams in the NFL and had suffered key injuries on the OL. 

However, leading up to the game, Charger Head Coach Anthony Lynn all but publicly declared that the Chargers would be emphasizing the run today.

And so they did, to the tune of 159 yards on 38 carries and any fan in the stadium would tell you the Chargers could have run for as much yardage as they wanted. The vast majority of the runs seemed to be between the tackles and the Packers had no answer. The excuses for this run D have officially run out. 

If stopping the run up the gut was the only problem for the interior of the defense it would still be a huge problem, but alas there is more, much more.

There were several times today when the interior pass rushers basically stood up and did not even try to push the pocket.

This was not the Cowboys or some other team with a stout interior offensive line stuffing the interior pass rush but the (previously) pathetic Chargers group. And the QB was not Lamar Jackson, MItch Trubisky, or even Kirk Cousins but rather Philllp Rivers - a guy who never runs because he can't. In other words, there is no good reason for the interior pass rushers to just stand in place as they did most of the day.

To compound the inability to stop the run or to generate an interior pass rush, the Chargers like so many Packer opponents before them time after time went to the short middle to complete easy pass after easy pass. I mean Henry and Ekeler were running wide open all day over the middle.

My views concerning the defensive line personnel are as follows: (a) either Kenny Clark is injured, not getting enough help from the rest of the defensive line, or he is not as good as he has been made ought to be, (b) Dean Lowry has been asked to do more this season and ... he has failed miserably, (c) Tyler Lancaster is a nice story and he is OK as a pure run defender but offers nothing against the pass, (d) Montravious Adams has fully earned his putrid 44.2 PFF rating and 2.5 years into his Packer career he has yet to offer much of anything, and (e) nothing should be expected out of 5th round pick Kingsley Keke and he is delivering on those very low expectations.

This group is underwhelming at best.

As for the inside linebackers, oh boy. First, Goodson was going to be cut by the Giants at the end of training camp because he is a one-trick pony run defender and, unsurprisingly, teams are aware of his problems defending the pass and pick on him through the air. Then there is Oren Burks or should I say where is Oren Burks? Last year's 3rd round pick was supposed to have the speed to be that elusive coverage linebacker that the Pack has not had since ... well forever. With how crappy the inside linebacker play has been and given that Burks almost never sees the field is it too early to begin considering him a bust?

Then there is Blake Martinez. I am not a Blake hater and in fact was one of his biggest fans when he was drafted because I saw him as an upgrade over all the JAGs we'd run out at ILB for so long.

In year's 1-3, Blake battled injury, poor defensive personnel surrounding him, and the last 2 years of Dom's failed tenure as DC and through it all he proved to be at least mediocre. Last year, with Pettine manufacturing a pass rush Martinez even had 5 sacks.

But something has happened in 2019 and not in a good way.

I don't know if Martinez is letting disappointment about not getting a new deal affect his play, is injured, is being asked to do too much in this scheme or all of the above or something else, but with better talent around him at OLB, S, and CB in 2019 Blake has regressed and regressed significantly.

Every time Rivers needed a play today he seemingly attacked the middle generally and Martinez specifically. Running Ekeler or Gordon on 3rd down, throwing to Ekeler or Henry for short yardage. There is just no where to hide Blake and he just never makes a play. He looks defeated on the field while playing on a D in which the OLBs are actually making plays and playing with enthusiasm. I don't understand why his play has deteriorated so much.

At this point, I can't imagine why the Packers would pay Blake much of anything to return to GB in 2020.

In the end, it is not as if these issues about poor DL and ILB play are new, but they may be getting worse.

The question is can the issues be successfully addressed this season to somehow make the middle of the D at least competent?

I am willing to hear from anyone as to what might be done to address the middle of the D and am increasingly willing to hear about how Pettine's scheme shares in the blame.

• Like 2