2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did you see the sack? It was a coverage sack as Winston held onto the ball for about 7 seconds. Now, he did have a nice pressure later where he dipped and got around the EDGE. He's definitely got some skills. 

So you’re the guy then?  Lol

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

So you’re the guy then?  Lol

No clue what that means. NVM! 

Go back and read my post. I actually gave him a fairly good compliment and an honest opinion on his sack. Don't take my word for it, go back and watch his sack. 

BTW, I liked him well enough but not at 12. 

Edited by Golfman

9 minutes ago, snackattack said:

I liked burns as a player worth the 12th pick. Dont think he is the kind of edge player pettine wants though. The three edge guys we added this year are the type pettine wants and its looking good after one game. Burns is gonna put up some numbers though!

I think you could stick him behind Preston. It's not like Burns isn't long, the guy can add a few pounds yet. Right now theres about a 15 LB difference but I think you could cut that in half pretty easy after a season. I really think the staff got the player they thought was better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I think you could stick him behind Preston. It's not like Burns isn't long, the guy can add a few pounds yet. Right now theres about a 15 LB difference but I think you could cut that in half pretty easy after a season. I really think the staff got the player they thought was better.

That's not a 15 pound difference, probably double that. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Brian Burns, but even at 6'5 they're never going to get that dude to 260 without him breaking down. Getting him to 249 was a back breaking experience for that camp leading up to the draft.

14 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/12/mike-pettine-lauds-packers-free-agent-acquisitions-on-defense/

“Myself and (outside linebackers coach) Mike Smith and I went through it, and Za’Darius was a guy that just jumped off the tape, and not far behind was Preston,” Pettine said. “The fact that we ended up getting both, we would have been thrilled with one of those guys. The fact that we could pull that off was a tremendous move by Gutey and his group.”

If the Smiths keep producing like they did in the minuscule sample size of game 1, do their deals go from being viewed as expensive/overpay by some to absolute bargains? 

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I was the only guy who liked Brian Burns. LITERALLY the only one.

Whooooooaaaaaaaaaaa....dude! Dont diss me like that!

You were the one that convinced me to look at Burns.....but I was "selling" him like a Carnival Barker for weeks :)

That "historical correction...." in place - I'm not displeased with Gary's selection.

Would have been happy with Burns cause last night he proved he's got the goods (as advertised) to be a player in this league. He was meeting and holding up against all blockers and he showed the speed and agility that put him on our radar screens to begin with. But - he did look slight and will need to bulk up that frame if he's gonna evolve / last.

Gary's more a work in progress - but he's got the size and speed to be a player in this league as well - perhaps a more durable one at that.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I was the only guy who liked Brian Burns. LITERALLY the only one.

First of all, that's my line. 

Second, I didn't have a horse in that race.  I wanted purely the best defensive difference maker at 12 and I didn't care who it was.  Only thoughts I had about 12 all offseason were:

No Hockenson, White, Bush, IOL.

I seemed to be the only one who was interested in Clelin Ferrel, though.  Lots of people wrote him off for some reason and he looked good for the Raiders on Monday night. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

First of all, that's my line. 

Second, I didn't have a horse in that race.  I wanted purely the best defensive difference maker at 12 and I didn't care who it was.  Only thoughts I had about 12 all offseason were:

No Hockenson, White, Bush, IOL.

I seemed to be the only one who was interested in Clelin Ferrel, though.  Lots of people wrote him off for some reason and he looked good for the Raiders on Monday night. 

With hindsight after Week 1, still no Hockenson? 

Just now, packfanfb said:

With hindsight after Week 1, still no Hockenson? 

No.  Still no Hockenson.  He looked great and that is a great weapon to have, but at the end of the day, TE is still a luxury position to have. 

Obviously if Hockenson turns into a Hall of Fame tight end and Gary is a bust, yeah, I'd rather have had Hockenson. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No.  Still no Hockenson.  He looked great and that is a great weapon to have, but at the end of the day, TE is still a luxury position to have. 

Obviously if Hockenson turns into a Hall of Fame tight end and Gary is a bust, yeah, I'd rather have had Hockenson.

It's a moot point. Hockenson was taken with the 8th pick.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Whooooooaaaaaaaaaaa....dude! Dont diss me like that!

You were the one that convinced me to look at Burns.....but I was "selling" him like a Carnival Barker for weeks :)

That "historical correction...." in place - I'm not displeased with Gary's selection.

Would have been happy with Burns cause last night he proved he's got the goods (as advertised) to be a player in this league. He was meeting and holding up against all blockers and he showed the speed and agility that put him on our radar screens to begin with. But - he did look slight and will need to bulk up that frame if he's gonna evolve / last.

Gary's more a work in progress - but he's got the size and speed to be a player in this league as well - perhaps a more durable one at that.

Leader, I think you and I see the exact same things when we look at draft prospects.  Last year it was Brian Burns.  The year before it was Tremaine Edmunds.  I don't know if it is good, for either one of us, but whatever it is, we seem to like the same things.