2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Rivers went 10-for-11 for 197 yards in the middle of the field for the Chargers.

Tramon gave Rivers a lot of credit for recognizing the Pack's defensive tendencies/liabilities.

Being weak up the middle defensively is no better in football than it is in baseball.

The time to act was before last week.  We are who we are this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Striker said:

He is on the Dolphins. Their ****ty management doesn't mean he couldn't have been productive for the Packers with some more time/development though. 

Fair enough. I bet we never talk about him post 2019 season was kind of my point.

LA game is in the past, so whatever, it's over. All I know is we have a Carolina team coming to town with basically a rookie QB and limited weapons on the outside at WR and TE. If we aren't playing aggressive and physical at the LOS against these guys, challenging them for every yard, and, instead continue to sit back in a soft zone, I'm going to lose it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Has ANYONE suggested that we should sign Blake Martinez to a big contract?  No.

I get the impression when I hear the big contract thing it more means

"Don't pay him at all and give some FA a big contract" which I'm not against. But I feel like that's why it's been used in some cases.

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but rankings in the "30's" on defense isn't a good thing. 

Ugh. That's almost grounds for a midseason "adjustment". It agonizes me to think that would even be a possibility with the team chemistry seemingly in a great place. But worst in the league isn't going to show well.

Edited by ccecilnosebleed
salad fingers

The most troubling thing about these stats is that they don't even make sense. We are playing a ton of "bend but don't break" defense where we sit back and play soft against the run and soft against the underneath pass. So, I fully understand being close to dead last over the last 6 weeks in Yard Per Play and 3rd Down Defense when we're playing that soft **** defense. 

But, in the same breath, we are 30th in Explosive Completions allowed over that same stretch...the very thing this soft *** defense is supposed to stop. 

21 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Ugh. That's almost grounds for a midseason "adjustment". It agonizes me to think that would even be a possibility with the team chemistry seemingly in a great place. But worst in the league isn't going to show well.

Remember the watershed 2014 mid-season Sunday night game in New Orleans after which Clay was moved to the middle, Hawk was finally benched, and the run D improved sufficiently to get the team to the NFC Championship game.

Could we see something like that in 2019?

• Like 1

On 04/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, Cpdaly23 said:

We’ve already invested a decades worth of 1st and 2nd round picks into the defense, as well as all of our excess cap room via FA’s this offseason.  We’ve given him enough talent.  We need to invest in the offense.  

This ...

There can't be any excuses whatsoever. You aren't going to have all-star players in every position so make best use of what you've got. Like every other season, the defence has got the premium picks - we went out and got two expensive pass rushers - safety was a problem so we spent a first round pick and got another expensive high end free agent to play there. Corner has had bucket loads of draft picks invested and we have one of the league's rising stars at DT.  Add to that we have no serious injuries to the defence all season - we lost an undrafted safety who was a role player and that's it. 

But still he needs more .. more draft picks, more key free agents.   Seriously ... what does it take.  Maybe coaches lose their effectiveness if you give them too much and you rely on your superstars. Maybe Pettine would work better if we just filled the defence with undrafted JAGs and he'd have to work to get results.

When Adams went down - our receivers basically resembled a practice squad but Rodgers and MLF still found a way to put up record breaking figures by making use of what they had - it should be utterly embarrassing for the defence that with everything spent on it they still had to rely on the offence. Maybe the only way to truly fix the defence is to stop throwing picks at it.

This year should be all-out offence in the draft .. something like

• 1. OT
  • 2. WR
  • 3. RB (depending on plans for renewing the current guys)
  • 4. OL

The defence can have the late round picks the offence normally gets. Lets see the defensive staff try and earn their money getting results without having the top picks for once.