2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

There are a slew of new faces who will or may get significant snaps on defense in 2019: Z. Smith; P. Smith; Gary; Goodson/Summers; Amos; and Savage.

There are also a number of returning defensive players whose roles can be expected to increase significantly this season: Adams; Burks; T. Brown; and Greene.

Really would love to see this newly constructed defense ranked as a top 15 unit by the end of 2019

And by top 15, I mean across the board -- DVOA, yards, points, points per drive, yards, etc.

This, except top 10. 

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

This, except top 10. 

You have me curious how many teams total were even top 10 in everything he listed. I'll check if I get on the PC again tonight. Pain in the *** from the phone, but I'm guessing it's not many.

I did this in a stupid way, but it looks like only 4 teams were top 10 in all of those categories, I'm sure I ****ed it up and am wrong, but that's what I got. We're def not going to do that.

Edited by Norm

The only thing that matters is points.  I don’t care if we’re 32nd in every category but top 10 in points.  Every other category is meaningless except for points when you’ve got an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady.

If we’re top 10 in points, we are competing for a Super Bowl.  Not winning obviously since first year head coach and no playoffs for three years, but points.  Points are all that matter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The only thing that matters is points.  I don’t care if we’re 32nd in every category but top 10 in points.  Every other category is meaningless except for points when you’ve got an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady.

If we’re top 10 in points, we are competing for a Super Bowl.  Not winning obviously since first year head coach and no playoffs for three years, but points.  Points are all that matter.

Loser's mentality. We need to be top 5 in every defensive stat ever created. Yards. Points.  Forced fumbles. INTs. Pass deflections. 3rd down stop rate. 3 and out percentage. Yards on first down. Yards on second down. 2pt conversion rate. Forced false starts. Least starts missed by starters. DVOA. DVDA. WAR. ERA. OPS. EVERYTHING TOP TEN. You just want a participation trophy with talk like that. You sound like a damn politician that I do not like. Grrrrrr

Edited by Norm
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

Loser's mentality. We need to be top 5 in every defensive stat ever created. Yards. Points.  Forced fumbles. INTs. Pass deflections. 3rd down stop rate. 3 and out percentage. Yards on first down. Yards on second down. 2pt conversion rate. Forced false starts. Least starts missed by starters. DVOA. DVDA. WAR. ERA. OPS. EVERYTHING TOP TEN. You just want a participation trophy with talk like that. You sound like a damn politician that I do not like. Grrrrrr

Kumerow TDs are the only stat that matters in the game of football. ( I had to make it about Kumerow because of your avi)

Edited by Gopackgonerd

The Packers defense only has two players over the age of 26 (Tramon-36 and Fackrell-27) so quite literally just about everyone should be improving due to natural ascension and experience with system or because of a higher quality replacement.

They have just enough young veteran presence to stabilize each level of defense. 

It’s hard to imagine them not being significantly better. 

4 hours ago, boratt said:

The Packers defense only has two players over the age of 26 (Tramon-36 and Fackrell-27) so quite literally just about everyone should be improving due to natural ascension and experience with system or because of a higher quality replacement.

They have just enough young veteran presence to stabilize each level of defense. 

It’s hard to imagine them not being significantly better. 

Z is also 27. 

Packers had the 14th ranked scoring offense

22nd ranked scoring defense

Goslins 32nd ranked special teams

However, they had the 3rd fewest takeaways on defense so the offense had to fight even harder for that 14th ranking not being set up by the defense with turnovers. 

The offense had the 2nd fewest give aways so the offense wasn’t setting the defense up in bad situations so the 22nd ranked defense might even be generous. 

At the end of the day, the Packers offense was above average when you count the excellent turnover numbers, even with all of the things that went wrong and the defense was really, really bad. 

With that, the greatest hope for a big turn around is on the defensive side, and special teams. 

Scott is punting out of his mind. The snapper is snapping better. Crosby is Crosby. Davis is healthy. Let’s hope special teams is improved. It can hardly get worse. 

Almost our entire defense is 26 or younger and trending up. We have three new higher priced free agents and two first round picks. The defense absolutely looks better going into 2019 with so many key pieces added and having gained experience with Pettine last year. 

There is definitely hope for a big turnaround this year. Top 10 defense with top 10 takeaways would put the Packers offense in ridiculously better shape to score more points. If the defense is top 10, that alone pushes the offense into top 10 and then special teams could put us over the top. Let’s hope!!! Two more days!