2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

I'd say top needs are:

1. DT - Stephen and Johnson are FAs

2. OG - Berger probably retires, I'd like to see Easton and Isidora compete at LG and a new RG added

3. CB - Waynes future is uncertain, could add another potential starter to the rotation 

4. S - Sendejo is solid, should be able to start for another year or two. Depth should be improved, I don't think Harris or Kearse have starting potential

5. RB - Cook's recovery is a question mark, Murray is ineffective, McKinnon is decent at best and a FA

I think CB and DT are both priority draft needs. Could use youth over veteran experience. Though if Suh is available, that is tempting, the front seven would be insane.

if MN has FA money to spend, I'd like to find a solid OG. Maybe Justin Pugh of NY.

im assuming Teddy or Bradford are starting In 2018 and Keenum returns as the backup.

My draft priorities would be BPA at the following positions: DT, G, S.  What would our defense be like with a dominant 3-tech sandwiched between Linval and Everson?  Likewise with S, especially since we lack depth there.  Our playing better than expected o-line could also use a stud at G, or T if one is available but since LT's in particular are over-valued, we might be getting a better player at G since the tackles will be picked over by the time we pick in the first round.  After our first 3 picks, depth/future starters at CB top the list since we often use 3 on obvious passing downs.

I think I really want to add another top offensive lineman in round 1. We've seen what God OL play can do to QB comfort and aggressiveness. Ideally a LT who can play RT, and kick Remmers into RG, to replace Berger due to retirement.

I can wait for a round 2 DT who will be rotated in\out in a Zimmer defense.

CB is a position that is useful, Newman might be done and we need to replenish, Waynes future is uncertain. That's a 3rd need.

*Assuming no significant QB needs

10 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think I really want to add another top offensive lineman in round 1. We've seen what God OL play can do to QB comfort and aggressiveness. Ideally a LT who can play RT, and kick Remmers into RG, to replace Berger due to retirement.

I can wait for a round 2 DT who will be rotated in\out in a Zimmer defense.

CB is a position that is useful, Newman might be done and we need to replenish, Waynes future is uncertain. That's a 3rd need.

*Assuming no significant QB needs

I agree with your OL assessment. Since MN seems likely to pick in the 20s, I'd like to find a stud RG. Assuming no other glaring holes. I think Remmers has earned being the starting RT going forward but I wouldn't be opposed to moving him if there is great value at Tackle in rd 1.

Id like to see Isidora and Easton compete at LG with a set new starter at RG.

DT can probably be had later. I'd bring Stephen back as a base UT and backup NT, until Jaleel is ready. I'd like to find a younger version of Tom Johnson in the draft. A nickel pass rusher who might be able to develop into a starter.

After that I see a lot of depth needs.

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m not confident that the 1st round offers the best value regarding o-lineman. 

Personal opinion, but I’d rarely draft an offensive lineman in the first round. The 2nd/3rd round seems to get you the best value. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not confident that the 1st round offers the best value regarding o-lineman. 

Personal opinion, but I’d rarely draft an offensive lineman in the first round. The 2nd/3rd round seems to get you the best value. 

Late first has produced good value over the years too. Outside of QB and OG, I don't see any glaring needs so I'm fine with a late first round OL. I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round DT given Zimmers track record at the position.

I hope Teddy, Keenum and Sloter are back in 2018 and QB isn't an issue.

Archived