2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

On 10/14/2017 at 8:38 PM, Klomp said:

I would disagree with that. While he probably won't be a Top 5 pick anymore, I still think there's a decent chance he is in the 1st or high 2nd.

He is a really good QB. 

I'm not convinced he will go in the 1st anymore. The QB group this year isn't spectacular, but there is quite a bit of better than usual talent, and Allen is slipping further and further down the pack. I think he will settle into the 2nd round when all is said and done, just because of those other QB's coupled with quite a bit of really good looking prospects who should go in the 1st.

48 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I'm not convinced he will go in the 1st anymore. The QB group this year isn't spectacular, but there is quite a bit of better than usual talent, and Allen is slipping further and further down the pack. I think he will settle into the 2nd round when all is said and done, just because of those other QB's coupled with quite a bit of really good looking prospects who should go in the 1st.

But that's the thing. I don't think he is. And I would probably say this even if I wasn't a Wyoming fan.

NFL teams look deeper than just the statistics. There's probably a little bit of arrogance involved, but teams believe they can fix many of a QB's weaknesses. You can't suddenly take a 6-2, 205 lb QB and make them 6-5, 235 lbs. You can't suddenly say I'm going to develop a guy to where he has a Top 5 NFL arm. Either you have those things or you don't.

There's also a significant head start Allen has, coming from a pro-style offense. It certainly doesn't hurt that he is coached by a HC/OC combo that found and helped developed a recent No. 2 overall who as a NFL sophomore has his team tied for the best record in the league. A QB who didn't put up consistently eye-popping statistics either, at an even lower level of college football.

Kiper: Let’s start with what Allen does have. At 6-foot-5, 233 pounds, he has great size. He has a great arm — I think he and Rosen have the best pure arms in this class. What he doesn’t have is much talent around him. The Wyoming offense lost 47 touchdowns from last season’s team, along with its center. That’s tough to overcome. I think his numbers will be much better in an NFL offense with NFL players around him.

McShay: I hate to keep agreeing with Mel, but Allen will be better as a pro. I think he has the best arm in this class. He can make strong throws from any platform. That has gotten him into trouble at times; he has some bad turnovers and pedestrian overall numbers.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/10/13/mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-still-think-josh-allen-is-a-top-15-prospect/

Bill Polian, former NFL general manager: “Everything is not black and white. What goes on this season is important. You’re going to want to watch the tape. You’re going to want to watch his team live. You’re going to want to see how he handles adversity. You want to see how he performs with a lesser team around him than he had last year."

Chris Landry, former NFL scout: “Of course it would have helped him (to play well against Iowa), but I didn’t expect that. Those ends at Iowa really just torched (Wyoming).”

Trent Dilfer, former NFL quarterback: “Third down, rips an absolute freakin’ dime on a rope 45 yards, hits the guy on the facemask. Incomplete."

Todd McShay, ESPN NFL draft analyst: “He’s getting pressured, not every time, but just about I’d say 70 percent of his drop backs, he’s either getting pressure early — before 2 1/2 seconds — or his receivers aren’t separating so he’s forced to hold the ball and move and avoid pressure and then try to reset and throw. Or throw on the run while a defender is closing in on him. What are you supposed to do?”

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/22/josh-allen-wyoming-qb/

Matt Miller chimes in:

Josh Allen has rare traits in terms of arm strength and athleticism; after watching him in person I'd say his arm is the strongest I've ever seen. Allen is able to make difficult throws from any platform and can easily throw a 25-yard out route on a line from the opposite hash.

You could counter that and say neither Manning nor Tom Brady have a huge arm or great athleticism, but they're rare in terms of preparation, football IQ and leadership. Allen's physical traits are similar to Cam Newton; and he made it to a Super Bowl and won an MVP without being incredibly accurate. You could also compare his arm, agility and pure strength to a young Ben Roethlisberger; another player who had amazing success without being highly accurate.

There are other cases of great athletes not working out (Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles) but it's foolish to ignore cases where elite traits led to a quarterback being a good pick. That's what I see when I evaluate Allen—a strong-armed, athletic, smart, humble, tough player. Those traits will take a player far if he's developed, given a good play-caller and a little talent around him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737050-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-josh-allen-the-nfl-and-the-huge-twitter-debate

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-profile-arkansas-frank-ragnow-leads-the-pack-at-center

This kid has yet to give up a sack in almost 4 years at center and guard. I think he's make a great addition to our line and fit in nicely (if selected) in Joe Berger's spot.

With an OL and Viking name to boot!

On 10/14/2017 at 10:38 PM, Klomp said:

I would disagree with that. While he probably won't be a Top 5 pick anymore, I still think there's a decent chance he is in the 1st or high 2nd.

He is a really good QB. 

He's 6'5", 240 lbs with a good arm...he's definitely still going to be drafted somewhere in the first 2 rounds...as there'll be multiple coaches that think that they can coach him up.  His accuracy at the collegiate level still scares me to death.  With a passing percentage of less than 60% at that level, I see more Brock Osweiler than Ben Roethlisberger in him.  

Ragnow is probably my favorite offensive lineman prospect for the Vikings this year. I have Quentin Nelson graded higher overall as a guard, but I think Ragnow is a much better fit in the current blocking scheme that the Vikings are utilizing. 

Plus, it would be cool to get him back to Minnesota. 

16 minutes ago, SouthernViking said:

Would position do you guys think Minkah Fitzpatrick plays in the NFL? Especially in a Zimmer defense.  I think he would pair great play with Harrison

I think Fitzpatrick, like Jalen Ramsey, would be successful where ever you put him. 

Archived