2019 NFL Draft Day 3 Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

packfanfb

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think its their QB position. just not great when you play the BIG10 defenses

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

No dynamic QBs.... same as the Badgers.

So if they got a good QB, you guys think they would be good? Why can't they recruit QBs? 

Mizzou is able to pull QBs all the time, and I would put Iowa in the same 3rd tier of football schools as we are.  Mizzou is a bully.  We will beat up inferior teams (and that does include Florida and Tennessee) but once we get to the big boys (Alabama, Georgia) we get beat just as bad.  Then you take a team like Kentucky that hits us right in the mouth and we really struggle.  Is Iowa similar?

I hate to say it, but Kirk Ferentz is losing it as a coach. He's had some issues with off-the-field stuff with players over the past decade. Plus, they really don't have anyone who's a true WR1.

Anyone in on Deionte Thompson at 150 if he's there?

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Iowa puts a lot of players in the league.  Why are they not better?  Like shouldn't they be a 2 loss team instead of 4?

As others have said, it's primarily about being incapable of recruiting QBs (and skill players generally), but it's also about being committed to playing a certain brand of football.  Like they only get the high end athletes when they have an Iowa connection already, or it's a weird case where "literally every other team recruiting Noah Fant wanted him to be a DE."

But that DE they've got, Epanesa, is going to be a high pick next year I'm betting.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So if they got a good QB, you guys think they would be good? Why can't they recruit QBs? 

Mizzou is able to pull QBs all the time, and I would put Iowa in the same 3rd tier of football schools as we are.  Mizzou is a bully.  We will beat up inferior teams (and that does include Florida and Tennessee) but once we get to the big boys (Alabama, Georgia) we get beat just as bad.  Then you take a team like Kentucky that hits us right in the mouth and we really struggle.  Is Iowa similar?

I'd say so. I'm a Buckeye and they seem like a tough game to play on a saturday night. i think that Kirk Ferentz gets the most that he can out of a limited program.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Gute said he "knew for a fact" that Darnell Savage would not make it to #30.  He wanted his guy and he went and got him .. it is what it is. 

Yes....

However, I am watching my players go at my picks. That HURTS  right now.

But we have a great draft so far and GUTE can make it up with the last four pics and in UDFA. 150 can't get here soon enough.

1 hour ago, festiveonion said:

Was pretty happy when Bro Lefkoe called out Miller yesterday for his 'Miss Cleo' antics lol

Yea, watching him try to pretend like he didn't already get notified of the pick and he somehow guessed it was kind of cringe. 

I also love mock guys who don't talk about some prospects all off-season and never have them in their multiple round mocks. Then they hear some rumbles a day or two before the draft and all of the sudden they have had those guys that high or low on their board most of the time and they are always taken about where they expected them to be. I know its nearly an impossible job and they have to save credibility but just something I always notice.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You throw a Heisman contender QB on probably 20 teams any year and they have a good shot at making the playoffs. 

I honestly think location/weather and pro style offenses (as counter productive as that seems for guys eying the NFL) play the biggest part of it. Most top QBs are FL, CA, TX kids and I'd guess it's hard to get them to fall in love with the idea handing the ball off in 40° weather when they can sling the rock 40 times a game in the sunshine. 

Archived