2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

15 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just rewatched the moment Gary got selected. You have him on camera crying and his friends and family are behind him and they looked miserable. When the selection was confirmed on tv everyone fake cheered and his mother on his left looked absolutely gutted. Didn't even cheer. xD

I can hear her thinking "Dang! now I have to visit my son in frozen Green Bay instead sunny Miami" 

I really hope his tears were of happiness rather than disappointment. 9_9

The temp difference between Ann Arbor and Green Bay? Not much I'd wager.
If in fact they were disappointed heading to Green Bay its probably not weather related.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

If in fact they were disappointed heading to Green Bay its probably not weather related.

Ive just edited my post.check it out.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

What makes you think his parents were happy he picked Michigan?

If I had lived in New Jersey my entire life, then bounced to Ann Arbor, and finally ended up in GB, I'd be mad I hadn't managed to get down South too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What makes you think his parents were happy he picked Michigan?

If I had lived in New Jersey my entire life, then bounced to Ann Arbor, and finally ended up in GB, I'd be mad I hadn't managed to get down South too. 

Hey ya know.......

The guy entered an open call job fair. Come one, come all and take your pick. If the culmination of your college efforts results in you being selected #12 - by any team - and you becoming a multi-millionaire?

Weather related concerns wouldnt be on my mind.

From the video posted - the group appeared to be emotionally receptive the the event - then it quieted down as Gary wandered around holding the phone to his ear.

Who am I to judge total strangers? What strikes me is the lack of personal emotion across the board. Certainly they cant all be bummed out by the weather.

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

You wanna know?  Going to Green Bay as opposed to someplace like Miami? Will probably saved Gary a ton of out of pocket change.........
Although I hear the specials at Applebees are really something :)

Like the 7.65% taxes he's going to be paying in state income tax?

Like if Ed Oliver's people were okay with Houston to Buffalo, Gary's people objecting to Ann Arbor to Green Bay is just weird.

Like "Gary doesn't start crying until later" is just a delayed emotional response- an NFL team just told you that they believe in you (to the tune of millions of dollars) and you've achieved your dream of making the NFL; not everyone is going to process something that big immediately.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Like the 7.65% taxes he's going to be paying in state income tax?

Sorry. I didnt dive deep in the research department when I made my analogy/joke. You pick a warm weather team - preferably with nice beaches, or clubs or other such recreational activities - that also has a state income tax - and insert that town into the equation. 

San Diego?
Phoenix?
Dallas?

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Sorry. I didnt dive deep in the research department when I made my analogy/joke. You pick a warm weather team - preferably with nice beaches, or clubs or other such recreational activities - that also has a state income tax - and insert that town into the equation. 

San Diego?
Phoenix?
Dallas?

Phoenix and Dallas don't have state income tax. San Diego is horrific like the rest of California with him paying 12.3% income tax.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yep, and so he pays 50% of his salary at a much higher taxed rate? That's still a bad thing. 

Maybe. Depends on away game differential, too. Plus cost of living deltas.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I'm sure agents have.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Life changing money is life changing money.  Whatever difference there is between "slightly more life changing money" and "slightly less life changing money" has minimal affect on the utility of said windfall.

There's a sample size of "just about every free agent in history" that disagrees with that assessment.