2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

As to moving up for Savage, Ballard joined Dorsey and others saying there were only 13-17 round one grades.

GB wasn't the only team that had a round one grade on Savage. Gute has plenty of Intel. (Colts were likely his best spot). 

Regardless we paid to move up a tier. Savage is a notch better than any FS, especially with that speed.

The real question is why he didn't get more hype in the media. The only answer I have is that  folks look down on Maryland. He won the Senior Bowl but the media only talked about Adderly. Very strange.

Finally, GB was targeting him ALL YEAR. Savage even said GB scouts (pl) were at his practices last year, noticeably. And then they tried hiding their love.

Both Gute and Pettine think he might be a special single high, like Thomas or Collins. His floor is Eddie Jackson imo. This is a very very good pick. Be happy.

Again, very weird he didn't get more hype. In hindsight, the clear #1. Just a DEEP draft on defense. Glad we got Clowney and Collins. Very non boom-bust picks who have solid floors, and could be great. 

Edit: also nice fits, not square pegs in round holes. Too often we grab talent but misfit it.

Edited by JaireAlex

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Made a mistake on the Walter grades. It was just Savage's grade that was an F. As a whole it wasn't that much better though.

Green Bay Packers: Rashan Gary, DE/DT, Michigan D Grade 
I can't really get behind this pick. Rashan Gary is insanely athletic and physically talented, but he was a huge disappointment as a player in Michigan. He also has some off-the-field concerns. There was speculation that Gary would fall to the 20s, which would've been a reasonable spot to select him. Not here, though. This is a major reach. If Gary couldn't produce in college, why would that suddenly happen when he has an NFL contract? 

Green Bay Packers: Darnell Savage, S, Maryland MAYOCK MALFUNCTION, FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY, SASHI SUFFERIN SUCCOTASH Grade 
I hope you like the new addition to the "F" grade. It's well deserved after what happened at No. 4 tonight. 

This is an "F" grade all the way. Darnell Savage is a second-round prospect who may have snuck into the bottom end of the first round. There was absolutely no reason to move up nine spots for him. He, or someone very comparable to him, would've been available at No. 30 overall. I wouldn't have minded the Packers taking Savage had they remained at their own choice, but giving up resources for poor value is just a recipe for disaster.

Later picks got a better grade.

Best part about the Savage grade is him insinuating that Savage would've been available at 30 when Ian Rappaport confirmed that he would not have fallen to 30.

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

Best part about the Savage grade is him insinuating that Savage would've been available at 30 when Ian Rappaport confirmed that he would not have fallen to 30.

Some people continue to stick their heads in the sand...

Just now, CWood21 said:

Some people continue to stick their heads in the sand...

WalterFootball was something I liked when I was like in middle school because it was one of the few sites that actually had a lot of draft information on it (players, rankings, scouting reports, etc.), but it has been surpassed and shown to be an absolute clown show.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

WalterFootball was something I liked when I was like in middle school because it was one of the few sites that actually had a lot of draft information on it (players, rankings, scouting reports, etc.), but it has been surpassed and shown to be an absolute clown show.

I use WalterFootball from June-November to gather names I should watch for the college season and formulate my own opinion on. Come bowl season I won't check that site again until after the draft. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I use WalterFootball from June-November to gather names I should watch for the college season and formulate my own opinion on. Come bowl season I won't check that site again until after the draft. 

Your computer thanks you for that!

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

We added 2 starting-caliber OGs, a top 75 pick at TE and versatile RB. We have 3 WRs poised for a potential year 2 breakout.

How do we possibly have "less offense" than 2018?

We lost a 38 rec, 380 yd, 2 TD WR and added what I mentioned above. You're nuts if you think this offense looks worse than 2018.

We'll agree to disagree.  MVS had his moments last year where he looked really good he also had a long stretch where he looked scary bad.  I'm not nearly as impressed with ESB and Moore as others.  Moore didn't have a regular season snap where he looked like a NFL caliber WR and was passed on the depth chart by every single WR we rostered.  It says a lot about our WR depth that Jake Kumerow made the roster so easily once healthy.  A practice squad  WR who required 3 1/2 years in the NFL before he was able to find a roster weak enough at WR to make and contribute.  

Maybe, but that's really, really close to the statements that were made to me prior to last year when I suggested offensive struggles.  

Not all that excited about Sternberger who I see as a Richard Rogers caliber of TE prospect.  Mediocre athlete, terrible blocker and not a guy who's going to ever run away from anyone.    

What makes Williams versitile?  He's a down hill runner who's not going to get anymore than what's blocked for him.  He also offered nothing as a recevier in college.  He's a Jamaal Williams caliber of athlete with less upside as both a receiver and a blocker.  

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll agree to disagree.  MVS had his moments last year where he looked really good he also had a long stretch where he looked scary bad.  I'm not nearly as impressed with ESB and Moore as others.  Moore didn't have a regular season snap where he looked like a NFL caliber WR and was passed on the depth chart by every single WR we rostered.  It says a lot about our WR depth that Jake Kumerow made the roster so easily once healthy.  A practice squad  WR who required 3 1/2 years in the NFL before he was able to find a roster weak enough at WR to make and contribute.  

Maybe, but that's really, really close to the statements that were made to me prior to last year when I suggested offensive struggles.  

Moments when he looked scary bad?  You mean when he was wide open, and Rodgers didn't throw him the ball?  He was top 6 among rookie WRs.  The guys who were ahead of him were Day 1 or early Day 2 picks.  You don't see Broncos fans ready to bury Courtland Sutton on the depth chart.  You don't see Panthers fans ready to bury DJ Moore.  Why?  Is it because MVS was a 5th round pick?  My guess is that's the case.  The notion that there isn't a reasonable level of comfort with our young WRs seems to not be echoed by our GM.  He didn't draft a single one this year and the only one he signed as an UDFA was Matt Eaton.  That speaks volumes to what Gute thinks of our WRs.  Either way, this whole argument reeks of not putting anything into perspective.  Go look at teams' #4-#6 WRs.  It's littered with developmental and ST types.  What is on the backend of our depth chart?  Developmental types and ST types.  And I'd be willing to take ours over theirs.  The problem is you don't see an established #2 or #3 WR, and I get that.

19 hours ago, gopackgo247 said:

so so so so soooooo much wrong with this post. its like you didnt study the players at all and just take what the media puts down your throat.

What's wrong and what in my post was media driven?  Some attack anything and everything that isn't 100% rainbows and butterflies about every pick.  If a guy isn't viewed as an immeidate star the opinion is attacked.  

I watched every snap of Gary's Michigan career being an rabid Wolverine fan.

I watched a bunch of Maryland football last year being a B1G fan.  I watched Shea Patterson and a piss poor Michigan passing attack have their best game of the season against Maryland.  I also watched as Ohio Statre made a laughing stock out of their secondary.  There wasn't one moment in either of those games that had me  

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

Not all that excited about Sternberger who I see as a Richard Rogers caliber of TE prospect.  Mediocre athlete, terrible blocker and not a guy who's going to ever run away from anyone.    

Player A: 6'4", 257, 10 1/8" hands, 4.87 40 yard dash, 1.69 10 yard, 4.47 20 yard SS, 7.23 3 cone, 31.5" vertical, 9'8" broad
Player B: 6'4", 251, 9 3/4" hands, 4.75 40 yard dash, 4.31 20 yard SS, 7.19 3 cone, 31.5" vertical, 11'3" broad

Player A is Richard Rodgers, and and Player B is Sternberger.  They had a similar vertical jump and 3 cone, but Sternberger had a bit better broad and 40 yard dash (especially in light of Gute's comments about him running a 4.66).  But let's look at their production.

Richard Rodgers: 39 receptions, 603 receiving yards, 15.6 YPC, 1 TD reception
Jace Sternberger: 48 receptions, 832 receiving yards, 17.3 YPC, 10 TD receptions

Sternberger tested better and was more productive, yet he's Richard Rodgers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

What's wrong and what in my post was media driven?  Some attack anything and everything that isn't 100% rainbows and butterflies about every pick.  If a guy isn't viewed as an immeidate star the opinion is attacked.  

I watched every snap of Gary's Michigan career being an rabid Wolverine fan.

I watched a bunch of Maryland football last year being a B1G fan.  I watched Shea Patterson and a piss poor Michigan passing attack have their best game of the season against Maryland.  I also watched as Ohio Statre made a laughing stock out of their secondary.  There wasn't one moment in either of those games that had me  

There's a stark difference between everything between being rainbows and gumdrops and being intentionally pessimistic.  There's happy medium between the two.  And nobody willingly watches Maryland football.

20 minutes ago, SSG said:

What makes Williams versitile?  He's a down hill runner who's not going to get anymore than what's blocked for him.  He also offered nothing as a recevier in college.  He's a Jamaal Williams caliber of athlete with less upside as both a receiver and a blocker.  

How many puppies do you kick on a weekly basis?

Let me see if I can come close to forecasting the next response:

"We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't see Sternberger turning into some all-pro TE like you apparently do. Most of his college career he looked like he had no business near a football field. Sorry, but I just see a Richard Rodgers clone who should have been an UDFA. Time will tell."

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Jace Sternberger: 48 receptions, 832 receiving yards, 17.3 YPC, 10 TD receptions

Player A: 17 receptions, 213 receiving yards, 12.5 YPC, 5 TD
Player B: 45 receptions, 722 receiving yards, 16 YPC, 8 TD
Player C: 69 receptions, 898 receiving yards, 13 YPC, 5 TD
Player D: 22 receptions, 314 receiving yards, 14.3 YPC, 4 TD

Player is Jimmy Graham, Player B is Travis Kelce, Player C is Zach Ertz, and Player D is George Kittle.  My point?  There's no magic formula for what makes a player a hit, and what makes him a bust.