2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

Raji/Matthews or Gary/Savage?

I was really, really happy when they traded up for Matthews. He'd just been on the cover of SI with the other two USC linebackers. Raji ran tackles out of the backfield in Senior Bowl practices.

I wasn't that happy this time round, not at all, but I think this draft has a shot at being legendary  the gold standard  pretty good.

39 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Walters gave the Packers an F grade for their draft.
I'd be hurt if I gave any creedence to that site. Luckily there is clearwater ahead, and the Packers are in for a revival.

How many ads and popups did you have to fight to be able to see the grades?

• Like 1

Walters overall grade was a C

Green Bay Packers: C Grade 

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Packers will be a playoff team if Aaron Rodgers is healthy next year. They need to make sure that happens by improving his pass protection. Otherwise, Green Bay should just select the best player available to give itself a chance to make a run at the Super Bowl this season. 

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Rather than picking the best player available, the Packers often went with the best athlete available. This was not very smart, namely in the opening round. Rashan Gary was a lazy player at Michigan who never lived up to his supreme physical talent. What's to stop him from slacking off once he has an NFL contract? Darnell Savage, meanwhile, was not worth trading up for. He could be a good pro, but Green Bay recklessly surrendered resources for him when he or a similar player would've been available at No. 30 overall. 

Things improved for the Packers following the opening night. They selected good values like center/guard Elgton Jenkins, tight end Jace Sternberger and late-round linebacker Ty Summers. The positions acquired made sense, though it was a bit disappointing that Green Bay found just one new blocker for Aaron Rodgers. 

I can't say I like Green Bay's draft class very much, mostly because of the first-rounders. I can't grade the Packers favorably as a consequence, but their second- and third-day acquisitions prevent this from earning a poor grade. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#wGQ0TYTLJCRiIKYp.99

I mean, fundamentally everyone's draft grade is going to be a referendum on how you feel about Rashan Gary, and unfortunately the groupthink appears to have coalesced around "Gary is a bum" which is not a sentiment you can really support if you actually watch him play football (watch some MIchigan games- he is in fact already a very good football player).  A goodd chunk of the time whoever the groupthink has decided to hate turns out to be excellent, however.  

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Walters overall grade was a C

Green Bay Packers: C Grade 

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Packers will be a playoff team if Aaron Rodgers is healthy next year. They need to make sure that happens by improving his pass protection. Otherwise, Green Bay should just select the best player available to give itself a chance to make a run at the Super Bowl this season. 

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Rather than picking the best player available, the Packers often went with the best athlete available. This was not very smart, namely in the opening round. Rashan Gary was a lazy player at Michigan who never lived up to his supreme physical talent. What's to stop him from slacking off once he has an NFL contract? Darnell Savage, meanwhile, was not worth trading up for. He could be a good pro, but Green Bay recklessly surrendered resources for him when he or a similar player would've been available at No. 30 overall. 

Things improved for the Packers following the opening night. They selected good values like center/guard Elgton Jenkins, tight end Jace Sternberger and late-round linebacker Ty Summers. The positions acquired made sense, though it was a bit disappointing that Green Bay found just one new blocker for Aaron Rodgers. 

I can't say I like Green Bay's draft class very much, mostly because of the first-rounders. I can't grade the Packers favorably as a consequence, but their second- and third-day acquisitions prevent this from earning a poor grade. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#wGQ0TYTLJCRiIKYp.99

Not even worth the read.  Walterfootball is utter trash. If you put flat earthers and Walterfootball in the same room with their only objective being to get you to believe in their opinion / views. I would be far more inclined to become a flat earth truther then I would be to side with Walter. Just my 2 cents.

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Jersey Numbers: 

I think giving Matthews number to a guy you drafted to replace him is a slap in the face. On the other hand, I see Donnerson switched to #53. Probably get injured walking to his car and be out for the year. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

I think giving Matthews number to a guy you drafted to replace him is a slap in the face. On the other hand, I see Donnerson switched to #53. Probably get injured walking to his car and be out for the year. 

The way I see it is if they don't retire your number it doesn't matter. Was it a slap in the face when we drafted Haha and gave him Woodsons number?